StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own three bikes; a 1976 BMW R75/6 restored as a cafe racer (with reasonable handlebars for my older posture), a BMW K1600 GTL and a 2014 V Strom 1000 Adventure ABS purchased last year to use in the north GA mts. The V is a dream in the mountain twisties and versatile enough for the gravel forest roads. Perfect !
After owning the BMW K1600 GTL for six years I felt that it was time for a change and looked at KTM's, Ducatis, Hondas, etc. Last week I traded in the K bike for another V Strom, a 2019 XT. My friends are scratching their heads as to why I'd buy a nearly identical bike but I bet you' all understand.......can't have enough of a good thing.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
... and a 2014 V Strom 1000 Adventure ABS purchased last year to use in the north GA mts. The V is a dream in the mountain twisties and versatile enough for the gravel forest roads. Perfect ! ...
I traded in the K bike for another V Strom, a 2019 XT. My friends are scratching their heads as to why I'd buy a nearly identical bike ...
Curious, will you out fit them differently?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have a 06 and an 07 R1200GS. Full luggage on both. The 06 is in like new condition the 07 has honest wear. They essentially the same bike. I use the 07 more because I don't feel bad if it gets dirty. The 06 is my Sunday bike :). Honestly if another deal comes along like the 07 I'll have three.

Use to have 2 DR650's one set up for street then added a side car and the other set up for off pavement fun.

And still another time had a 1995 Ducati 900ss, 1996 Ducati 900ss/cr and a 1996 Ducati 900ss/sp.

If 1 is good 2 or more or gooder.

There is a beauty in having the same bike. There is always a example right there if you took something apart and forgot how to reassemble it. Also having 1 oil filter and the same weight oil across bikes is easier to stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have a 2018 V1K and 2019 650XT.
The 1K is primarily for 2 up trips. The 650XT is primarily for commuting and solo trips. Traded in a 2016 650 for the 2019 and got a deal on the XT version and I have grown to like the look. Don't think I will ever ride the 650XT in serious dirt roads.
Also have a 2012 VStar 950T because I wanted a cheap bagger. Friend of mine bought a Honda CR250L to do some fire roads, trail riding so I've been looking over the RE Himalayan to follow him around on.
I know I have the multiple motorcycle disease.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I had as many as 7 bikes years ago. Down to three now. Two 650 Wee's and a 650GS BMW single.
i can actually walk around them in the garage. It's good to have a spare.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its a disease.

Had to move the car out of the garage. Might as well fill up that space with bikes!

I currently have 7 in the garage. The Suzuki Gladius is my daughters.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I had as many as 7 bikes years ago. Down to three now. Two 650 Wee's and a 650GS BMW single.
i can actually walk around them in the garage. It's good to have a spare.
I was up to 9 at my peak and then one day decided if it doesn't get 1,000 miles a year it goes. It hurt to make the hard choices to sell bikes I really liked but once I got going it felt good. I then decided I wanted to get down to 2 bikes. Finally after years of selling off (and periodically buying) I got down to 2 bikes in June of this year. After years of trying I finally met my goal and was down to 2 bike. This lasted one week when the deal that was to be my 07 R1200GS presented itself.

So much for trying!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Two bikes is a dream, two running bikes even dreamier. Presently own just five (zero are presently running or road worthy), pretty average for me, I've been down to one a couple times, and as many as nine or ten. Rarely more than one registered, and only slightly less rarely more than one running. Hopefully by spring I'll have my strom back running and I have a fish on the line for buying my SV. Somewhat likely the SV will be replaced with a WR.

I have three project bikes that I haven't turned a wrench on in years but I am too sentimental to let them go.

I think I should set myself a goal of getting down to two or three motorcycles at once. I have a Guzzi that I will die with, and the rest should be fluid depending on my needs. I guess this is a therapy post now haha.

·
Registered
916 Posts
" I have a Guzzi that I will die with"

What is it about the Guzzi that it will kill you? Sounds ominous!
Long story short it was my dad's and he can't ride anymore due to epilepsy. I will find someone to pass it on to when I pass, but for sure if I sell it before my dad passes, I will die very shortly after haha.

Reactions: eagleeye

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Had a friend that went to a Guzzi national rally in middle America that got flooded out. He changed to Triumphs after that. He did well buying and selling some of the older Guzzi's though.
Several of the older ones were classics. I've been to a few Guzzi rallies. They are a quite dedicated lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Curious, will you out fit them differently?
The 2019 XT came with hard side cases and spoke wheels. The dealer agreed to throw in a 20L Givi tank lock tank bag and I purchased a Givi windshield from Revzilla that was discounted because of a blemish, barely noticeable. I just installed a foot peg lowering kit and shift lever extension from Adventure Tech so that my dual sport boots would fit better. I will eventually mount a GPS and I plan on replacing the Anakee III tires when they wear out with something more off road worthy. Me and some buds on GS1250s are heading to north GA in two weeks to burn off some 21st century angst. I expect the Vstrom to hold her own quite nicely.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My current take on the two bike thread
Yes...I kno its a 14.....but...still a Strom....
#8....& Tenere #3 also a 14

Ive put over 240k on my past Stroms since 2003... mostly on 4 650s ...now on the 4th 1000

The Teneres are a relatively new addition beginning in 2016 with a 13...& now the 2nd 14

The Strom is my backroad burner....the Ten a pack mule
20200325_143048.jpg
0_tapatalk_share_-1989509688_compressed.jpg

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will say it seems odd to have 2014 and 2019 V-Strom 1000 in the same garage. I have a 1000 on the West Coast and a 650 on the East Coast, which of course, I think makes sense. :)

Also on the West Coast I have a KTM 990 SMT and a Moto Guzzi Quota. Seeing the 3 of these in the garage together makes sense to me. The 990 is the ripper racer one. The V-strom is the uber reliable do everything extremely well one, the MG Quota is the quirky fun one. My wife and daughter think I'm a bit crazy but I tell them there are crazier people in the world. :)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I will say it seems odd to have 2014 and 2019 V-Strom 1000 in the same garage. I have a 1000 on the West Coast and a 650 on the East Coast, which of course, I think makes sense. :)

Also on the West Coast I have a KTM 990 SMT and a Moto Guzzi Quota. Seeing the 3 of these in the garage together makes sense to me. The 990 is the ripper racer one. The V-strom is the uber reliable do everything extremely well one, the MG Quota is the quirky fun one. My wife and daughter think I'm a bit crazy but I tell them there are crazier people in the world. :)
I guess this will be a mind blower then

GS2.jpg
GS2.jpg
GS8.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts