StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbup: Two great mods this weekend that proved to be worth every penny! First I changed the stock seat to a new Suzuki OEM gel seat. I did have to switch the rubber bumpers to make it fit right. But then it was all good.

Second, I switched the stock 15 tooth front sprocket out for a new Suzuki 16 tooth sprocket (GSXR 600/750) with the rubber on it similar to the original. I learned about these mods on this forum, and am so glad to be a part of it.

My impressions after 2 1/2 hour in the new Gel saddle are that I prefer it a lot more than the stocker. Even after 2 1/2 hours I had no butt burn and also my groin area (if you know what I mean) was much more relaxed and less squashed. I know the gel will be hot in the summer but I will keep it covered and out of the sun most of the time. My wife was on the back about half of that time, and she felt it was all good also.

The gel seat is definitely higher than the stock seat. My Strom is lowered with the 1 1/8 inch Kouba links, and also lowered at the forks. I could easily touch ground flat footed with the stock seat, but with the new Gel seat, I cannot quite get there. No biggie, but I was just about to raise the bike up to some shorter links, so now I am not sure about that. I ride two-up a lot with my 140lb wife, and the bike that low, even with the pre-load cranked up, still drags the skid plate in whoop-de-doos just a little bit if we hit them just right. I'm still gonna raise it a little, but we'll see how that effects me touching ground. No biggie to change links. 15 minutes tops.

The 16T sprocket simply makes the bike a better road bike for what we use it for. I love how the RPM's are now dropped and 6th gear really feels like an overdrive gear now. Exactly what I was looking for! Butt meter says I lose a small amount of torque but not really noticeable to me enough to be a negative. I used the Suzuki part #27510-20A10 sprocket and it went on easily. The whole install took maybe an hour with a lot of that just making sure the chain was adjusted properly after installing the 16T sprocket.

I have pics if anyone needs em. Really glad I did these two. Great addition IMO!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I haven't done the sprocket swap, but it sounds interesting since I frequently am looking for a "7th" gear on the highway. I know 80mph is 6k RPM with the stock set up, do you know how much of an RPM drop it is with the new sprocket?

For me getting a good seat is the best upgrade I did. I didn't try a gel seat, but after a season of screwing around with sheepskins, gel pads, 2 aftermarket seats, and my own refoaming experiments, I bought a Russell Day Long. It's fantastic, absolutely NO DISCOMFORT, it feels great, and I can ride endlessly. Seats are very personal, there's no "best" seat, you just have to find what works best for you, and it sounds like the Suzuki Gel seat is it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, om28, I did another 4 hours on the Strom today with the Gel seat. 3/4 of that was with my wife on the bike. She was fine, I could only ride the stocker for about an hour and a half, so the Gel is working for me at least so far!

On the sprocket - On mine it looks more like around a 380-400rpm drop to me, but it is very noticeable. 70mph (real-not on the speedo) is just about 5100rpm now.

I spent a lot of time in the mountains today just re-learning how to ride the Strom with that 16T on there. Not as noticeable one-up, but when two-up staying in the right gear is feels different. It is like 6th gear is really just an overdrive now, and not used in the mountains for much until you can get up around and over 60mph (which ain't often). I was out on the highway for about an hour running 65-75mph and the motor felt and sounded more relaxed, but I do think you give a little in passing power and might need to downshift now if you want to pass a car quickly on a two lane (where you didn't have to downshift before). I did pass a car today with my wife on the back when a short straight finally opened up after following slow Sunday driver. Didn't downshift, but the bike was lugging a bit in 6th where in that same situation it wouldn't have before. Just gotta think differently, but I mostly only notice it two up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts