StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen two black 650's loaded up pretty good with gear turning around under the overpass in Avis, Pa. I think it was on saturday afternoon 8-2-08. They headed towards Lock Haven on 150.

Matt

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
That was us (Me and Kayakman) pulling a Uturn under the overpass! :p The road deadended where it wasn't supposed to but no matter, we found our way to Route 44 (via Woolrich, where we dropped some money at the store.:D)

We spent 4 days riding in N PA...great roads and am looking forward to returning. Lucky you to live in that area.
Just got home about 2 hours ago.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we had to turn around in the same spot. That is a day by day thing right there due to the construction. There are definitely alot of nice roads to ride around here. we ride 44 alot. Hope you had fun on your ride.

Matt

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
+1, Finally someone we know in this section, great!
We had a GREAT time riding lots of twisty roads...something that is in short supply around here in southwestern Ontario. I know we'll be back again. It was only a 9 hour ride from DuBois to home (near Sarnia) with stops for lunch, breaks and including crossing the border at Buffalo.

I've ridden PA before but not in many years. I've also backpacked the AT in PA and this motorcycle trip was also about checking out some more backpacking trails that I've read about, for doing in the future. (Loyalsock, Black Forest, Old Loggers Path, Golden Eagle trails etc.)

It's funny...although we saw thousands of bikes, we didn't see one other VStrom the whole time we were in NY and PA but I wondered if maybe someone from here had seen us. The first thing I saw when I got on the forum was the title of TimberWulfs post and knew that someone had!:D

Edit...oops, I posted under Kayakmans login. :)

Footloose

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Ya'll get back this way look us up. We have some great hikes, I personally have always liked worlds end SP, where the loyalsock trail is. I live near Ricketts Glen SP, it would be a good day stop for ya'll if you enjoy hiking. There is a gorge there that contains 22 waterfalls, the highest one is 103' in an evergreen setting. Its about 45 minutes from worlds end state park. There are also many lesser known falls that only the locals mostly know of.
Next time down try route 6, route 144, and route 120. they are in central northern PA. In the fall the place to see is along 144, there is an elk trail containing about 120 miles I think.Its a vehicle tour with viewing stations set up along the route. Benezette is the home of the pennsylvania elk heard, and you can hear them bugle in the fall.
Also near ricketts glen there are many old covered bridges ya'll may enjoy.
Look me up next time your down this way and perhaps I can show ya some cool places you may enjoy.
Toll

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just at Ricketts Glenn state park this past saturday. We try tomake it up there at least once a year to see the falls.
Matt

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
At redrock corners, turn right on old tioga turnpike, go 2 miles and take left on old county road, go 2 miles and look for tan ranch with boat in carport on left, the driveway is paved and circles the house, big stonewalls out back and pond. Stop in next time you out this way. I put ya in my buddy list.
Toll

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of these saturdays, My boy and I are coming back up to run the trail at Rickets Glenn to see how fast we can do it. Maybe we will drop by.
Matt

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Ya'll get back this way look us up. We have some great hikes, I personally have always liked worlds end SP, where the loyalsock trail is. I live near Ricketts Glen SP, it would be a good day stop for ya'll if you enjoy hiking. There is a gorge there that contains 22 waterfalls, the highest one is 103' in an evergreen setting. Its about 45 minutes from worlds end state park. There are also many lesser known falls that only the locals mostly know of.
Next time down try route 6, route 144, and route 120. they are in central northern PA. In the fall the place to see is along 144, there is an elk trail containing about 120 miles I think.Its a vehicle tour with viewing stations set up along the route. Benezette is the home of the pennsylvania elk heard, and you can hear them bugle in the fall.
Also near ricketts glen there are many old covered bridges ya'll may enjoy.
Look me up next time your down this way and perhaps I can show ya some cool places you may enjoy.
Toll
The Loyalsock Trail is actually the first trail I intend to do. I have already purchased the guide and map. I may not be able to do a thru hike but could possibly have 2-3 days to backpack as much as I can.
I also want to do the dayhike Golden Eagle trail.

This trip we rode a couple loops that included:

the #449 down from NY, #144 to Renovo, #120 to Lock Haven, #44 and #414, up the #15 to #6 to spend the night in Mansfield and the next day...

#6 to Wellsboro, down #287 and #284 to Waterville, #44 to an unknown connector road to #120, up #872 at Sinnemahoning and #607, down #155 and #120 to Driftwood and east on #555 where we spent the night at Dubois.

Then home the next day via #219 into NY and country roads into Buffalo where we crossed the border and rode another 250 miles home.

So we saw a good cross section of N Central PA.:D

I looooove covered bridges!:p:-D I think I have seen (and taken a photo of) every one still left in Vermont and have devoted whole bike trips to tracking them down. I got pretty good at finding the off the beaten path ones.
I'd like to get on to some of the dirt roads you guys were talking about on one of the PA threads in the Mid Atlantic forum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are supposed to be doing the Golden Eagle trail here within the next couple of weeks. I will get some pics of it and let you know what to expect. From what I have read about it it is supposed to be a pretty tuff trail for a day hike. The loyalsock trail you have to be careful the time of year you do it due to the lack of water and Rattlesnakes.
There are also two more good hiking trails in this area. The Susquehannock trail, and the MId-State trail. The Mid-State trail Goes from the Pennsylvania Grand canyon in Wellsboro to Water street Pa. It passes through about 6-7 state parks. We hike on different sections of the Mid-State trail alot. It passes right through Woolrich where you stopped. It is a very wild trail feels like you are 100 miles from civilization most of the time you are on it.

Matt

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
There is a fellow in Baltimore that has a great website called midatlantichikes.com
His name is MRHyker (Mike) and I've backpacked with him and a group of friends on the AT in PA in Nov. of 2006. We met thru backpacker.com which I've belonged to for several years.
Anyhow, his site is a fantastic source of information, maps and photos for the whole mid atlantic region for trails he has hiked himself as a leader for groups of friends or the Sierra Club.
I think he has backpacked just about all the trails in PA. The Golden Eagle trail is one of these with pictures and maps. It's a 9.5 miles tough dayhike with no camping allowed but I'm up for it, having been a hiker for quite a few years.

The Backpacker forum is a good source of hiking information and a great online community. I also flew to Denver this Feb to snowshoe and hike with a group of 10 women from the forum for 5 days. We had a blast though none of us had met before and were a great range of ages, occupations and fitness levels.

I'd like to do more backpacking using the Wee as a vehicle to get to trailheads. I could afford to do much more travelling that way because of the price of gas. But I'm leary of leaving the bike at trailheads overnight or possibly many nights. I've never had a problem leaving the bike for dayhikes and have left my Harley at trailheads all over N America packed for a month long trip and my riding coat, boots etc.
I plan to do a piece of the Bruce Trail in Ontario next weekend but have been able to set up a safe place to leave the Wee and will just thumb or beg a ride to the trailhead.:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We did the Golden Eagle trail Yesterday. The views would be better in the fall, or winter with the leaves off. Was a very nice hike though anyway. We seen lots of wildlife. From a doe and its fawn to a black rattlesnake hanging out on the most popular rock on the trail called raven's roost. We also seen a rattle snake with a whole pile of babies. We also seen a dead small bear that looks like it fell off a bank and broke its neck in the small stream. Was pretty well decomposed but from the way it was laying there it looked like it took a nose dive off a very steep bank.
If you make it down to do the trail I would suggest going counter-clockwise around the loop. We went the other way of course, and there are two very steep climbs that are killer. We did the whole trail in exactly 5 hours and that was stopping for lunch with the snake on raven's roost.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Wow, looks like a nice day in the woods, great pictures and a true adventure. Is the snake in the first picture a copperhead?
I am afraid I won't be back in on the forum for a couple months after tonight. I am headed to Georgia for work in the morning and won't be back till november. I am trailer the strom and staying at my sisters, who is kind of anti technolgy. She lives near the nuke plant I wil be working at.
Take care timber, and keep the threads alive!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
very well could be a copperhead, next time I go up there I will ask it. I just assumed it was another rattlesnake we see alot of them around that area. It does look like a copper head though now that you mention it. It never showed any rattles, but the black one didn't have any rattles either so I m not sure.
Matt

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Looks like a great trail Timber...it would be fantastic with fall colours. When do you get peak leaf colour there?

I'm going to take a couple days off with the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend (which is the same weekend as your Columbus Day) and am considering doing a big chunk of the Loyalsock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts