StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Have you checked/adjusted your throttle linkages and free play? The 650's are known for being incredibly smooth and linear, twitchy throttle is more of a 1000 thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought it Saturday. It has 1500 miles so its likely new and needing adjustment. I have a Vee and its always had a PCFC module so never any twitch.

It only occcurs at low speed <15 mph

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same thing on my '12 Wee and searching the forums it seems to be a common issue. The most common theory about the cause is that the fuel map is a bit lean at low rpm. There are many solutions floating around, from adding a resistor in the temp sensor (makes the bike think it is colder so kinda puts the choke on, but it is on all the time...) to more sophisticated "smart" electronic add-ons to do the same thing but better, and through to Power Commander, with Throttle Tamers on the side. My solution has been to rest one or two fingers on the top of the brake lever to steady my hand a bit - seems to be working fine so far.

·
Registered
431 Posts
One action you can take that will not eradicate the abruptness at low throttle settings, but will help you to overcome it. That is to take as much slack/freeplay out of the throttle cables as possible without affecting tickover. My Tech did that with my 1000DL and it helped.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I find when I get that twitchy, lurky feeling, something needs adjusted. Throttle cables and/or chain are the usual suspects.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One action you can take that will not eradicate the abruptness at low throttle settings, but will help you to overcome it. That is to take as much slack/freeplay out of the throttle cables as possible without affecting tickover. My Tech did that with my 1000DL and it helped.
+1! Just be sure to turn the handlebar lock to lock while feeling for free play. If there's any tug on throttle cable, you may end up with Toyota.. aka unintended acceleration.

The other important thing: make sure your chain sag is set correctly. Too much sag can exacerbate twitchy throttle, but be sure it's not too tight either.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I think it's just nature of the bike, fuel mapping. At slow speeds the throttle is like a light switch, either on or off, so you're either accelerating or decelerating, very difficult to maintain a steady speed. It helps to ride in a higher gear and sometimes I find myself working the clutch to smooth it out. As others have mentioned too much throttle play makes it worse.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think it's just nature of the bike, fuel mapping. At slow speeds the throttle is like a light switch, either on or off, so you're either accelerating or decelerating, very difficult to maintain a steady speed. It helps to ride in a higher gear and sometimes I find myself working the clutch to smooth it out. As others have mentioned too much throttle play makes it worse.
Brakes can also be used to smooth throttle tip in. I'm so used to trail braking and getting on the throttle as I'm easily off the brake(s) that twitching is never an issue really. In a straight line (say in slow town traffic), light application of rear brake can be used before applying throttle and then easily off the brake. Once this becomes habit, you can make any bike feel incredibly smooth. Of course there's nothing wrong with clutch feathering too.

And if you think this bike is twitchy, have a go on Yamaha FZ-09.. particularly 1st model year. Talk about ON/OFF stitch!! :surprise:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,352 Posts
It is simply slack in the throttle cables. Use the adjustment covered by the rubber boot immediately after where the cables exit the handgrip. You want as little slack as possible. Small amounts of movement of the adjuster when you get nearly all the slack out make a lot of difference. This is a push/pull cable system. I have never thought there was any low speed fueling issue at all on these bikes, but I will say that the throttle adjustment makes ALL the difference at low speed/low throttle settings.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
When I had my Wee and everything adjusted I had no problem with the throttle. My new 18 dl1000 not so much, every thing adjusted the throttle was still to much like a on and off switch at low speed. I installed a throttle tamer that cured the problem for me...

·
Registered
160 Posts
You will hear a lot of naysayers that the twitchyness is normal and more experience with the bike will abate this (the mushy front suspension doesn't help). In any case, I feel that the bike is overly twitchy. Short of a throttle tamer, there isn't much you can do. I have tried actually increasing the slack on the throttle cable and I liked this for a time, but there are people who recommend against this. Best option is a throttle tamer.

Reactions: Old Codger

·
Registered
61 Posts
cables plus thumb rest

The cable adjustment is a fine thing to do, and do it first.

After that, a $10 plastic wrist-rest moves fine throttle torques from the wrist to the thumb which is more used to tiny movements. Also takes the load off the hand gripping the throttle so easier overall.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My 2013 seems somewhat twitchy but I just thought is was the engine braking. When you close the throttle quickly in low gear it is like slamming on the brake. If you are a throttle chopper you are not gonna enjoy the ride. A little finesse seems to smooth it out. Once that is a habit you don't think about it. I may take a peak at the throttle slack to see if I can smooth it out a bit more. That way I can stop thinking about not thinking about it.

kfh000

1 - 15 of 15 Posts