StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After disappointment with the OEM parts ordered for my GStrom I ended up corresponding with Twisted Throttle based on several posts form other members. I was surprised to find they are located less than 50 miles from me, so I visited the shop & then brought the bike back for installation: Givi E36NJ cases (Shoei Medium full face doees fit inside!), Mototech EVO side carriers, Mototech crash bars and skidplate. They discovered a spacer was needed on the left rack for the '12 and will add this to their kit. The '12 skidplate does not attach to the crashbars, so can be ordered independently, but the bottom plate needs to be removed for oil changes. The finished product looks great & the skidplate especially is a work of art.

The oem skidplate is flimsy plastic with not protection on the bottom.

I got a sneak peak at the new facility and showroom under construction. Very impressive. They have their own prototype shop with Plasma cutter, CNC machine etc., marketing rep Kevin displays a part

They also have their own photo booth

and a full warehouse

and finally the retail shop getting its finishing touches

All-in-all a great experience

I'll definitely be back for stage two: electronic upgrades :yesnod:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks good. Just curious what was the spacer needed for? I had some issues with the right side of the carriers but I made it work. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also have the SW Mototech skidplate on my 2012 and recently did the first oil and filter change. It isn't absolutely necessary to remove the plate, there being a hole directly below the drain plug for removal and drainage (at least mine has this). There is room between the top of the plate and motor to remove the filter.

Granted, it can be messy not removing the plate, some oil missing the hole (this might be avoided or reduced if the bike is vertical but mine was on the sidestand). I was in a rush so I stuffed paper towels around the access hole and forged ahead, cleaning up the mess after draining the oil.

Mike
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess it is a matter of taste, but I do not like the look of the SW Motech skdplate. It looks cheap and as if it was constructed in a highschool metal shop. They couldn't even keep it all black, instead they have it duotone which does not suit the bike. It will do a much better job of protection than the OEM, but the plastic matches the fairing, still protects against rocks and debris, and this makes the bike look great :thumbup:, not like an erector set. Sorry, but when I first seen that skidplate, I thought that it was a home made job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ABB1, Obviously you have no experience with high school metal shops. I could show you some true abortions inflicted on perfectly innocent sheet metal:mrgreen: The OEM guard is good looking & will provide protection from debris kicked up on the highway, but I wouldn't trust it for more than that. I have one for sale real cheap! I suspect the reason for the two tone is that the unpainted bottom skid is more likely to be scratched. Powder coating that gets scratched tends to flake and peel. I really like the looks of it, but as you say -to each his own. That's the beauty of the Vstrom, it can be tailored to fit a wide variety of uses and aesthetics.:thumbup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love the looks of the OEM skid plate though! I just wish it was made of metal. I large piece of gravel would most likely crack that bad boy. It looks "Marvelous" though! And if you look good you feel good!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I love the looks of the OEM skid plate though! I just wish it was made of metal. I large piece of gravel would most likely crack that bad boy. It looks "Marvelous" though! And if you look good you feel good!
I agree, I probably will get it, but my mind would have been made up when I got the bike if it was made of metal, and painted flat black to match the fairing. I like it because it matches the fairing and looks good! Please don't take my earlier comments out of context. I am sure that SW Motech plate is a superior product, I just do not like the looks of it and that is a personal taste.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
ABB1, Obviously you have no experience with high school metal shops. I could show you some true abortions inflicted on perfectly innocent sheet metal:mrgreen: The OEM guard is good looking & will provide protection from debris kicked up on the highway, but I wouldn't trust it for more than that. I have one for sale real cheap! I suspect the reason for the two tone is that the unpainted bottom skid is more likely to be scratched. Powder coating that gets scratched tends to flake and peel. I really like the looks of it, but as you say -to each his own. That's the beauty of the Vstrom, it can be tailored to fit a wide variety of uses and aesthetics.:thumbup:
Sent you a PM for the guard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts