StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked all over and cant find any info on the difference between the Twisted throttle Pelican set up and the Caribou Pelican set up. I'll be mounting them to SW Motech racks. The look kinda sorta the same but I know the devil is in the details...

What'cha'tink????

mitch

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Twisted Throttle cases are just iM2600 cases and their in-house bracketry to fit either the SW Motech racks or Givi racks.

Caribou has their own set up and rack system. Other than that I can't comment as I have no experience with them.

I put a set of the Twisted Throttles on my wife's 1K. Her bike had Givi racks and Givi clone cases when we bought it. I can tell you the workmanship on the TT stuff is 1st rate. I bought the deluxe set with the lid stays and locks. Easy to assemble and fit like a glove. Two thumbs up. :thumbup:

One day I'll get a set for my bike.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am a fan of TT and went with the SW Motech racks and Givi cases. If I were going with Pelicans I think I would go with the Caribou cases. They have a great design/features You may want to listen to the Wheelnerds podcast where they interview the owner of Caribou cases. It may help you with your decision. Good luck!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
898 Posts
FWIW, I got the Caribou cases and rack system because (1) I already had experience with Pelican-type cases (for my test equipment) and knew they could take a beating, (2) I wanted cases I could lock AND lock to the bike and (3) didn't want to have to remove the rack (like you had to do with the SW-Motech) when I wanted to take the cases off the bike. That's them in my "avatar" (is that what it's called?).

BTW, I was just down in Hollywood earlier this month for some R&R and really liked the place. We stayed in a sweet little efficiency on the beach in the shadow of the Renassiance towers. Pretended we were rich, one afternoon, and looked at a couple of the condos up there. WoooooEE! Fancy schmancy and QUITE the view!

Where the heck do you go riding down there?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have ridden with Caribou's on SWM racks for a couple years now and really like the whole setup. I can easily remove the bags from the racks and the racks from the bike. The case lids and the mounting locks are keyed alike. The side cases include elastic retainer straps and removable snap lanyards. I don't know how this all compares to the more recent TT setup, but I am happy with them. I saw where Roger has made other improvements since I bought mine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where the heck do you go riding down there?[/QUOTE]

The Everglades? Got to find some spot. Havn't dual sported for years and not down here...
;
mitch

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, I was just down in Hollywood earlier this month for some R&R and really liked the place.

Where the heck do you go riding down there?[/QUOTE]

You don't. The "city" is dangerous!! Blue hairs and people from other countrys that drive with the rules of their native country. I head out to the everglades and Sugar country for a lunch run.. FLATISTAN!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
just mounted my Caribou cases yesterday I really like the cases but had a helluva time getting the right side to bolt up took two of us struggling to make up the bolts(not sure it isn't something twisted on my bike bought it used ) I'll be headed for Helen Ga next week for a 1st test and then a couple of long trips this summer. I was real close to buying Pelican from TT but they had no rack systems available til at least the end of the month(I'll be long gone by then) The cases remove quick and easy and not even broke in yet let ya know how I like them after a week ridin
Roger at Caribou was very helpful and expedited my shipping

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got the Caribou cases on my Vee, and had the same set on my previous vee that was totaled when a Honda Accord made a left in front of me.

When I crashed I'm not sure exactly what happened to the bike. We landed about 60 feet apart, but the bike definitely landed and slide some on the case. The case itself had some rash, but I have to point it out to people. The caribou rack bent a bit, but did not fail.

When I mounted it up on the new bike, I had to bend some things back in place to get everything to line up. Roger provided me some great customer service in helping me get everything back together.

Definitely a first rate company to deal with, and I was really impressed that after a such a severe crash that I'm still using all of the original hardware. I didn't have to replace a single part.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Mine has the caribou cases with their rack system (VEE). The set up is extremely well thought out. Strong and when cases are removed,whats left is very hard to see. Some, mounting racks look ugly on the bike without the cases.

The cases have stayed tight to the rack, remove easy, are tough as nails, and do not dent or show scratches too bad. The bike has fell over on each side and all is straight. They do require rear footpegs to be on the bike.

I absolutely love being able to lock the cases and the cases lock to the bike. When at hotel, it takes seconds to remove the entire case and bring it inside. Waterproof in monsoons. The side opeing can take some getting used to. If I ever destroy a case...which I doubt, a pelican can replace it and I just reuse the old mounting hardware.

When mounted they follow the lines of the bike perfectly. It looks better than an OEM set up to me and has mega capacity.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just a further note on the Pelican cases . Twisted Throttle has a quick disconnect kit for them and BTW they are having their grand reopening in May I'll be there to pick up a set for my cases!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why Pelican when you can Top Load?

So many people go with Pelicans but I have no idea why. I've never owned them, so I can't knock them too much, but top loaders are so convenient! Not sure why the 2012 and newer cases offer only up to 25 L in top loaders for the DL650, but the 1000 has 36L top loaders available. I could get 35L pelicans, but again, I'm not sold on them. Caribou, I need bigger top loading cases!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts