StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used the Twisted Throttle GPS bracket with the MadStad? Did a search but not coming up with anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll sell you mine. Just sitting in the toolbox now.

With my 2720 mounted to it, all the unit did was bounce around.

Very well made, but I think the thinness of the bracket promoted vibration. Nothing I tried worked.

The 2720 replaced my 60CS mounted on my bar. The 2720 will mount there instead. No vibrations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used it with the Zumo 550, and I mounted the Zumo mount high, and put the soft part of a Velcro strip on top of the dash, and have the bottom of the Zumo mount resting on it, with a little force pushing it down. That works the best, if you try to have it free floating, it will not work, as it has too much flex in the mount. But the way I did it, I am very happy with the mount. Nice clean fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I have the Twisted Throttle/SW Motech mount with the Madstad and a Tomtom Rider 2. The combo works well for me. The only disappointment I had was the quality of the mount upon arrival. Not only did I have to assemble all the bits - a task that could have been done during manufacturing (these things are expensive after converting to Australian dollars and shipping from the US), the holes which line up with the Tomtom bracket were all too small to fit even the screw through on its own (needed to file them out) and they didn't line up with the Tomtom mount holes so even more filing was needed. Once I had spent a fair bit of time doing what should have been done before being sent to me, it worked very well with no problems.

Dougal.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I am using it with my Zumo and the Madstad no issues. I like the way it bolts better with the Madstad than it did with the stock windshield mount.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay! Another farkle installed! Mounted it just like Ole did. Highest holes, with the Zumo resting on the dash (soft felt between cradle and dash). Seems quite solid, but I'll know more once I get a chance to ride tomorrow. Also installed the XM receiver, mounted on top of the brake fluid reservoir. Now if only I can get the damned thing activated!

Anyways, one thing to note about the Madstad... If you have the old version, and have it mounted in the lowest position, the top hole is obscured. You'll have to file or drill the bracket to get everything to fit right. I believe the new version has resolved this and should be compatible with all GPS mounts (or so says their web site).

I'll post pics tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed my SW-Motech GPS mount with my Zumo 550. I like the position better thatn the origina, but the GPS bounces too much. Have any of you found a way to fix that?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Nope. Actually I went with the Pat walsh shelf, and it bounces around too. Guess its just something you have to live with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just installed my SW-Motech GPS mount with my Zumo 550. I like the position better thatn the origina, but the GPS bounces too much. Have any of you found a way to fix that?

I cut and rolled up a piece of bicycle innertube (only thing I had readily available....) into a 3/4" thick bumper of sorts. Stuffed that between the dash and my 2730, twisted the 2730 downward to make firm contact. Barely perceptible bouncing now!

The innertube isn't really even noticeable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I found some sticky pads around the house. I stuck several together and place them between the dasboard and the unit. It does not eliminate the bounce, but it makes it better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I found some sticky pads around the house. I stuck several together and place them between the dasboard and the unit. It does not eliminate the bounce, but it makes it better.

Twist the GPS/mount down tight onto the "sticky pads" and you'll have the best possible solution, IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did exactly what xrmattaz suggested and it works best. Also, I was having problem with the sound. I found that the problem was the cable. it was too stiff and did not move with the unit. I replaced it with a thinner more flexible cable and it works great.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad it worked out!

I figured this out the scientific way.....while riding on a very bumpy road, I reached up and stuck my gloved finger under the Garmin, and all bouncing stopped....it was pretty much rock steady. My innertube bumper hasn't fallen out yet, as it's wedged in there pretty darn tight!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts