StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, For those who are using the auto luber with 1 nozzle type. Do you find the chain is lubricated fully at the 3 important areas (rollers, O rings on either side of link). I'm thinking with the one nozzle it can't be pointing at all 3 areas. Thanks

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
Oil does have a tendency to migrate, not necessarily where you want it. One nozzle probably won't take care of both sides effectively but might get things more eveny pointed at the middle of the chain just before the sprocket where it will be squeezed by the sprocket and forced away to the sides, and all over the place too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would say yes both sides get oil, with just the one nozzle. If the nozzle is in the right location it drops the oil onto the edge of the chain & sprocket, some oil gets flung off, but some will get between the chain rollers & sprocket and be pushed to the other side. The flow rate will decide how much gets to the other side.

Easy to tell if the opposite side of the chain is getting oil is just run a rag over the backside.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yes, you want the single applicator, the dual is a pain in the rear, gets loose, gets out of position more, not as durable and they don't really do anything more. Used both personally and would never try a dual type again. The oil goes on the sprocket and migrates to the chain's center. It gets plenty.

I've tried to like the tutoro lube kit, but mine have not held up. The nozzles have fallen apart, the whole thing came apart after two years and I couldn't get it to stay together. I made my own nozzles looking for more durability and got tired of messing with them.

I've given up on chain oilers, but IMO the Scotts with the large tank is the best. I just spray a Dupont lube on every day and clean when needed, I don't miss repairing chain lube devices and the mess they create. I ride too much dirt for them, the nozzles get stopped up often where I ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a single nozzle scottoiler and I love it. I've only had it for 4000 miles, so I haven't had any issues yet. It does make a bit of a mess, bit I with I would have bought one 10 years ago.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi, For those who are using the auto luber with 1 nozzle type. Do you find the chain is lubricated fully at the 3 important areas (rollers, O rings on either side of link). I'm thinking with the one nozzle it can't be pointing at all 3 areas. Thanks
I made my oiler system, and have 2 nozzle. You are right, only 1 nozzle is not good. It lead you to 2 choices: Too much oil on this side, or not enought oil on the opposite side. I know because a couple of times one side was clogged.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of rigging up an oiler that uses spray chain lube cans activated by a cable. It wouldn't be continuous but every fuel stop, just as your pulling into the gas station, while at slow speed, activate it for a couple of seconds. I'd use a double nozzle. Maybe someone has already done that?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,
Took my tuturo to Alaska and back.. Did not work as advertised. I really wanted it to work. Problem is with the vibration dribble theory is when things get real bumpy you get a lot of oil. And if you set it for bumpy,,,, on smooth roads you get less oil. The dribble gizmo they provide did not hold up either. I made up a new holder that attached to the thimble mount on the swing arm. It still got tore up..

On another note, I spoke with the ScottOiler guy at the AIM expo in Orlando.. Yea the guy with the yellow plaid kilt…
He said they did numerous test with single and dual oil distribution methods and the single works just fine…"if the drip rate is set up properly"…

Always the caveat….

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've contacted Tutoro and here is there response:

Hi Ted

Many thanks for your message and interest in our products.

When using the single feed nozzle, centrifugal forces will eventually distribute oil to every part of the chain. The twin feed nozzle has been designed to achieve the same effect more quickly and efficiently, however, please be advised that the twin feed nozzle is not suitable for all bikes, especially those whose sprocket mounting bolts are very close to the outside edge of the sprocket as they can foul the nozzle when the bike is in motion.

If you go to the SUPPORT tab on the website and go to the video section, you will find a Youtube link which will take you to all our fitting guide films. We have just added a film about nozzles and the TUTORO Helix which you may find useful.

Please don't hesitate to ask if we can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Jude Ibbitson
TUTORO Ltd

Home

I'II give the single nozzle a try according to their response and comments from the forum, Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wassup?

Lemme ask you guys running oilers an honest question cuz I've always wondered.

What's the benefit of running an automatic oiler? What's advantage does it give that can't be accomplished by oiling the chain manually with spray lube at the end of each day? Does it greatly extend chain and/or sprocket life, and if so, what are you guys averaging?

Granted I've never used one, but to me the whole concept looks like it basically just creates a big mess of the rear wheel, sprockets, inner fender, chain guard, etc. I really can't see what advantage it would provide, unless maybe you rode in salt water all day or something like that. From what I understand, most folks use ATF, chainsaw oil, motor oil, or whatever so because the chain is constantly "wet", doesn't that create build-up and/or attract dirt and grime? If so, wouldn't that be counter-productive in the long run?

Again, I'm not slamming oilers, just need edu-ma-cated I guess.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Lemme ask you guys running oilers an honest question cuz I've always wondered.

What's the benefit of running an automatic oiler? What's advantage does it give that can't be accomplished by oiling the chain manually with spray lube at the end of each day? Does it greatly extend chain and/or sprocket life, and if so, what are you guys averaging?

Granted I've never used one, but to me the whole concept looks like it basically just creates a big mess of the rear wheel, sprockets, inner fender, chain guard, etc. I really can't see what advantage it would provide, unless maybe you rode in salt water all day or something like that. From what I understand, most folks use ATF, chainsaw oil, motor oil, or whatever so because the chain is constantly "wet", doesn't that create build-up and/or attract dirt and grime? If so, wouldn't that be counter-productive in the long run?

Again, I'm not slamming oilers, just need edu-ma-cated I guess.
I think the main benefit, is (as you said in your question) there is no more need to lube it at the end of each day. I can't tell now if it extend the chain life, but i hope so, because the chain is always well lubed.
Another benefit i noticed, my chain is cleaner now.
I agree with you about the big mess. But in the chain guard and inner fender, who care? On the wheel, it take about 30 sec. to clean with WD40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts