StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time as a new rider after a ride on wet roads and it is such a mess, plus time consuming to do regularly!

I've been reading rave reviews about the Tutoro Auto Chain Oiler system and am excited that it won't break the bank too much compared to it's farkle worth :grin2:

Should I get the single or double nozzle setup for the Wee2 (2014 Vstrom 650 Adventure)?
I'd like to get single for simpler setup, less oil fling, and save money. But want to adequately lube the chain in temperatures ranging 35F <--> 95F

Does the standard kit provide everything needed for install if I go single nozzle? Or just go deluxe?
https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/products/tutoro-auto-automatic-motorcycle-chain-oiler-standard-kit

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Order from Rick "Adventuretech" and the kit he sells has "both" of the nozzles kits, the single is all that is needed and what I use. I have used mine now for about 6,000 miles, including some gnarly and nasty goo mud sand silt off road in New Mexico. It works simply amazing, you just need to adjust the flow rate depending on the temps out. I have mine at just over half turn out when above 60 degrees, and will go to 3/4 turn out when below that. I have less mess than I ever had with spray lubes, and my ENTIRE chain gets coated with the single nozzle set up. I can send you pics of my install if you like, that and I am pretty familiar with this system. But......give Rick a call and he will hook you up, plus he has free tech support if needed too. Get the deluxe kit as it is the best deal going, that is what I have.

Well damn......looks like Rick isn't a dealer for them anymore. :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
Order from Rick "Adventuretech" and the kit he sells has "both" of the nozzles kits, the single is all that is needed and what I use. I have used mine now for about 6,000 miles, including some gnarly and nasty goo mud sand silt off road in New Mexico. It works simply amazing, you just need to adjust the flow rate depending on the temps out. I have mine at just over half turn out when above 60 degrees, and will go to 3/4 turn out when below that. I have less mess than I ever had with spray lubes, and my ENTIRE chain gets coated with the single nozzle set up. I can send you pics of my install if you like, that and I am pretty familiar with this system. But......give Rick a call and he will hook you up, plus he has free tech support if needed too.

Well damn......looks like Rick isn't a dealer for them anymore. :(
I'd LOVE to see photos, please.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I just cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time as a new rider after a ride on wet roads and it is such a mess, plus time consuming to do regularly!

I've been reading rave reviews about the Tutoro Auto Chain Oiler system and am excited that it won't break the bank too much compared to it's farkle worth :grin2:

Should I get the single or double nozzle setup for the Wee2 (2014 Vstrom 650 Adventure)?

I'd like to get single for simpler setup, less oil fling, and save money. But want to adequately lube the chain in temperatures ranging 35F <--> 95F

Does the standard kit provide everything needed for install if I go single nozzle? Or just go deluxe?

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/products/tutoro-auto-automatic-motorcycle-chain-oiler-standard-kit

I think I got the deluxe kit, can’t remember. I guess I did because it
had both nozzles. I just did the single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Lets see if this works........not the best up close or large pics, let me see if I can do better, or I am happy to email or text the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone know if there is a source for Tutoro in the US now? Looking on their website I don't see any US distributors (stockists as they refer to them) listed.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Ordered the deluxe kit from England on Ebay.

Not sure if it's going on the DRZ or the Vee yet. Thinking DRZ just cuz it's newish and spokes are a pain to clean of chain lube. And I plan to ride the snot out of the thing this year now that I've got it set up with an oversized tank, windshield, volt-meter and heated gear outlet. Flatlander skid plate arriving soon. The Vee shall slide into a well deserved retirement from everyday use over the next year and become more of a touring/winter commuter. That's the plan anyway, if the DRZ gets the job done for most of the year.

I wish I'd done this a decade ago with the Vee. Now it's just, like, myeh. The rear is caked in fling and will stay that way forever. Unless I really like the Tutoro and decide the Vee needs one too.

I'll likely use the double nozzle since I ride a lot in the rain and salt. I've always been conscious of spraying both sides of the chain; otherwise the rust sets in during the winter months.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Anyone know if there is a source for Tutoro in the US now? Looking on their website I don't see any US distributors (stockists as they refer to them) listed.
Ebay is now the US source, per Rick at Adventuretech.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lets see if this works........not the best up close or large pics, let me see if I can do better, or I am happy to email or text the pics.
Thank you. Those are tiny, but I sure get the idea. And the single nozzle provides enough for both sides of the chain?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a couple thousand (4.5k) miles on my single nozzle Scotoiler and I am completely satisfied with the amount of lubrication across the entire chain. Installing an auto-oiler was one of the best upgrades for touring that I made. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I bought the standard kit off eBay, works great. Single nozzle works best for me. I run gear lube in the summer and a straight 20 weight in the winter. Iso 68 hydraulic/trans oil works good in winter in the SE. I'm actually using Vactra #2 way oil right now, but Iso 68 is cheaper. The way oil sticks to the chain better while still being a light oil. In the hot summer the 75w gear oil does nicely without making a mess, only needs a 1/4 turn on pavement, I run a full turn out in the rain sometimes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I got the deluxe kit, can’t remember. I guess I did because it
had both nozzles. I just did the single.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the pics and confirming where to buy it from. It's great to hear that a single nozzle works well for everyone and I'll go that route.

Now it just comes down to the standard kit vs deluxe kit.
Is it good to get the 'Helix nozzle placement wire' (comes with deluxe) to use with a single nozzle for accurate placement against the rear sprocket? Or not necessary?
https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/products/tutoro-helix-nozzle-positioning-device

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
Big B's is set up as per the instructions, Highwayman has set his to oil further around the rear Sprocket. Otherwise the difference is oil type.
So some online retailer has chipped off a piece of Adventuretechs business. :frown2:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought the standard kit off eBay, works great. Single nozzle works best for me. I run gear lube in the summer and a straight 20 weight in the winter. Iso 68 hydraulic/trans oil works good in winter in the SE. I'm actually using Vactra #2 way oil right now, but Iso 68 is cheaper. The way oil sticks to the chain better while still being a light oil. In the hot summer the 75w gear oil does nicely without making a mess, only needs a 1/4 turn on pavement, I run a full turn out in the rain sometimes.
Also it looks like I can order and ship to my US address from their main site...why order from eBay instead of their main site?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had one for a while but it didn't perform well. Kept losing the little tabs that secure the hose and bumping the reservoir with my foot. Couldn't find a good, out of the way place for the reservoir and the hose kept moving around. Decided to just lube the chain every 2 tank fulls. Takes less than 3 minutes. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts