StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just finished installing my new Tusk ATV Sport Bend 7/8 aluminum handlebar, and I must say I am smitten. I had the ATV High Bend Pro Taper on my 2005 Vee, and I just loved that bar, totally transformed my comfort level and handling of the bike. So........I was gonna go with the Pro Taper again when I read about the Tusk ATV Sport Bend as another viable and MUCH CHEAPER option. How much cheaper for almost exactly the same bar for what I can tell is every bit as high quality as the Pro Taper? Well the PT was like $72 most places and the Tusk was $29 at Rocky Mountain ATV "$36 delivered", so it was a no brainer for me to give it a try. The only difference between companies on this particular bend is PRICE, and price only. Every bit as good as the PT, and I am just blown away with the price difference. Both 7/8" aluminum and look almost identical and feel identical to me. So take my word for it and give the Tusk bar a try, you do not get what you pay for in this situation. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Tusk is the in-house brand for Jake Wilson/Rocky Mt. ATV*MC. Not bad stuff and priced right.

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tusk is the in-house brand for Jake Wilson/Rocky Mt. ATV*MC. Not bad stuff and priced right.
Yes the bar is every bit as nice as more expensive offerings, went on easy peasy and is going to be a nice addition for Brutus. The bend and height is going to be perfect for me, the fit was perfect for all controls and the cables.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you have a link to the one you bought? A search for Tusk ATV Sport Bend brings up lots of different bars.

Did the stock cables reach OK or did you have to reroute them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you have a link to the one you bought? A search for Tusk ATV Sport Bend brings up lots of different bars.

Did the stock cables reach OK or did you have to reroute them?
+1 and +1 ... great to know the exact bars to order and if longer cables
or hoses are needed or just some rerouting.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks!!! Sorry but I have a dumb question. Do these provide a rise over the stock bars? It doesn't specify on the site.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Damn. I just got my PT's delivered today. :headbang: oh well, i guess i will return the PT's pay the $7 return postage and still save $27:hurray:

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!!! Sorry but I have a dumb question. Do these provide a rise over the stock bars? It doesn't specify on the site.
Oh yeah a nice difference in height, and no more strange bend at the wrist either. Do not worry about drilling the new bars for the switch controls, a dremel or file to the nubs is what you need to do. I assure you the switch housing will not budge, just put them where you want and snug them down.

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn. I just got my PT's delivered today. :headbang: oh well, i guess i will return the PT's pay the $7 return postage and still save $27:hurray:
Loved the PT's on my 2005, but not worth the coin when compared to these IMHO.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh yeah a nice difference in height, and no more strange bend at the wrist either.
Excellent. Getting rid of that awkward bend in the bars will be an added bonus. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent. Getting rid of that awkward bend in the bars will be an added bonus. Thanks for the recommendation.
You will also notice much less flex in the bars and strange vibrations, front end feels much better with good aluminum bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the "ATV high bend" have the same bar bend dimensions for each brand? I purchased some MSR ATV high bend bars and then proceeded to use the hot wrench to tailor the pullback angle on each side to be more to my liking. I then hit them with a couple coats of gloss black from a rattle can. Of course, these are steel bars. Aluminum bars for the same price sounds like a great deal!:thumbup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Does the "ATV high bend" have the same bar bend dimensions for each brand? I purchased some MSR ATV high bend bars and then proceeded to use the hot wrench to tailor the pullback angle on each side to be more to my liking. I then hit them with a couple coats of gloss black from a rattle can. Of course, these are steel bars. Aluminum bars for the same price sounds like a great deal!:thumbup:
No. They are slightly different. There is a page on their site with demensions

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm thinking about a pair of these. Did you need any other parts to put them on? I'm not even sure how to get the old bars off.

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm thinking about a pair of these. Did you need any other parts to put them on? I'm not even sure how to get the old bars off.
Changing bars is a piece of cake, and nothing new gets added. Not rocket science, bar is held on by the clamps held on by 4 allen bolts "they are covered by caps more than likely". First you take off the controls with a phillips screw driver, then you take an 8 or 10mm socket "can't remember" and take off the lever/mirror combo. I lay a big towel over the tank as not to scratch anything, you then loosen the throttle tube and slid it right off. You can replace the grips or keep them, your call. Inside the plastic control housings are a "nub" as I like to call it, that needs to be cut off or more preferably ground down flat. The OEM bars come drilled and the nub goes down into the hole......it is not needed or necessary. Once all the controls are off, THEN you take off the bars from the clamps. Everything goes back on in reverse, it is THAT EASY.

·
Premium Member
4,309 Posts
Changing bars is a piece of cake, and nothing new gets added. Not rocket science, bar is held on by the clamps held on by 4 allen bolts "they are covered by caps more than likely". First you take off the controls with a phillips screw driver, then you take a 10mm socket and take off the lever/mirror combo. I lay a big towel over the tank as not to scratch anything, you then loosen the throttle tube and slid it right off. You can replace the grips or keep them, your call. Inside the plastic control housings are a "nub" as I like to call it, that needs to be cut off or more preferably ground down flat. The OEM bars come drilled and the nub goes down into the hole......it is not needed or necessary. Once all the controls are off, THEN you take off the bars from the clamps. Everything goes back on in reverse, it is THAT EASY.
Exactly what Big B said, piece of cake. I did do a wrap or two of electrical tape where the controls clamp down but it probably wasn't needed.

I spent the big bucks on the Pro Taper's about six months. :headbang:

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly what Big B said, piece of cake. I did do a wrap or two of electrical tape where the controls clamp down but it probably wasn't needed.

I spent the big bucks on the Pro Taper's about six months. :headbang:
My $30 bar sure is nice and comfy too!!!! :biggrinjester:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts