StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife tired to move my 650 this morning an managed to dump it. I need to replace the brake lever and right turn signal. I am thinking about flushmount signals. Any suggestions? Will I need to drill? Thanks in advance. Joe Mc up here in Vt.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I second the recommendation of the Lockhart-Phillips Flush Mount III’s. Easy to install and look factory. You need to drill a couple of holes for mounting screws, but I preferred that to double-sided tape because here in Florida it’s been my experience that accessories attached with tape tend to peel off in the heat of the sun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just replaced my front turn signals this past week. I went with the sticky foam method only to have the one side come off after only about a week. Today, I did the drilling thing and I see no reason why they won't stay put forever...

Love this bike. It always puts a smile on my face every time I take it on the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put the Lockhart ones I my bike as well. Drilled the holes, no big deal...and they look good. I like them better than the stock signals, but I did not really have a choice...did the vstrom drop the first week I had it. Messed up the clutch lever too, shortened it by about an inch and a half, I actually like it that way though. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to replace my front turn signals. I want running lights also. Can I just buy the dual element signals and run the 3rd wire (for the running lights) to the battery?

TIA

·
Registered
93 Posts
Running lights

I just realized that won't work because the lights would be on all the time. So where do I attach the 3rd wire to?
:?: :shock:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just Curious

I too have had to replace a turn signal on my DL650 (left front). I too was thinking maybe I should get flush mounts as they would look better and not break when the bike tips over (if it ever tips over again that is LOL).

Then I thought....hmmm.... that it was good that the turn signal took the damage for the fall; meaning that if I did change to flush mounts my signals would not be the sacrificial lamb of the incident. Instead of only $70.00 CDN for a new signal I may be looking at paint and body work for the side of the fairnig that the stock signal had saved.

Any thoughts?

Shawn

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Re: Just Curious

Strom-meister said:
Then I thought....hmmm.... that it was good that the turn signal took the damage for the fall; meaning that if I did change to flush mounts my signals would not be the sacrificial lamb of the incident. Instead of only $70.00 CDN for a new signal I may be looking at paint and body work for the side of the fairnig that the stock signal had saved.

Any thoughts?

Shawn
Crash bars.

(Turn signals won't do anything to protect the bike)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Crash bars and turn signals

Crash bars are always an excellent idea and I will order a set soon as I decide on a style and manufacturer. Thanks.

My next question is: will the typical V-Strom crash bars prevent a front turn signal from being damaged if the bike tips over. Can anyone speak from experience?

Shawn

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good Question!

Only experience I had was like everybody else & dropped it. Since installing the crashbars, haven't dropped it!

Just looking at the sW Motech bars & angle of the bike, I still think they'd probably break, but don't really know...

·
Registered
28 Posts
With the crash bars (Motech) and Givi saddle bags, he bike lands on the crash guard and bag, then rocks up onto the turn signal and smashes it. I put on flush mounts to save the expense of the replacement signals, and decided that since I bought this bike to beat, the scratches in the faring will stay there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The flush mounts sound better, has anybody installed the running light dual filament models? Where do you get the power for the running lights?

·
Registered
269 Posts
p7m8jg said:
The flush mounts sound better, has anybody installed the running light dual filament models? Where do you get the power for the running lights?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you would have to get an add-on kit, as this feature isn't stock.

According to the instructions on the III's Just tuck the extra wire up (mind you, I haven't installed mine yet....am waiting to break the stock ones off :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dropped my 650 with Motech crash bars. Turn signal died, but NO damage to anything else, except a small scratch on the day-glow stickers I have on the back of my mirrors.

ChuckS

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rear resting spot?

Hey Chuck. Just out of curiousity did the bike staying primarily touching on the front side (eg. crash bar, turn signal, mirror) or did it rest on the foot pegs or anywhere else in the rear as well whether damaged or not?

Thanks Shawn

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Power feed for Running Lights

Splice into the wire used for the tail light running element to power any form of running lights.

On my wiring diagram that is a Gray wire within the housing and harness and a Brown wire from the connector back to the ignition switch. This wire feeds the element of the tail light that is on anytime the ignition switch is on.

Remember not to attempt to ground anything to the frame. All grounds should tie directly into a wire connected to the Negative post of the battery.

On my wiring diagram all grounds are a black wire with a white tracer.

Always use a multimeter or test lamp to confirm before making permanent connections.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you want to have your signal lights function as running lights also, I suggest the Kisan Signal Minder. It is mainly intended to stop the flashing of the signals after a programmble number of flashes, but can also be configured to make the signal lights into running lights (at a programmable intensity). It works very well. There is an ever so minor legal technicality however - rear running lights are supposed to be red - not yellow. I did it anyway - I want to increase the lighting to the rear - it might help someday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Turn Signal tip over

After this morning's high side tumble, I can attest that while the Givi crash bars protect the engine, and the hand guard (while scraped up, but still functioning) saved the brake lever, the turn signal is now, alas, history.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts