StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it's a different problem so here's a new thread. This pertains to a 2004 DL650

After a wreck that mashed up the front end of the bike (including the instrument cluster) the turn signals/emergency flashers will not work when the key is "on" but they do function properly when in "park". As expected, the liscence light only comes on in park as well.
After looking at the wiring diagram, I tested the voltage on the O/R wire from the ECM that goes to the ignition switch. It's about 5V, which seems like the problem since I assume it should be 12V (I have just about no idea how the electrical system works). Any ideas? Is there some sort of workaround that would get the signals working while the bike is on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay i've just broadcast my ignorance for no reason. The ECM is fine; when I was stripping off the rest of the front end I found a nearly surgical incision in the ignition wire bundle, with a single grey wire severed. The only symptom was the lack of lights! So now everything's patched up. Strangely enough, my starter relay (which went out 9000 miles ago) has started working again after the crash. For those of you with faulty starter relays, I recommend dropping your bike off a 30' cliff. YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Check the ground connections

Time after time, I find that some complex electrical mystery has been caused by ONE faulty ground connection. Because this ground connection is common to many circuits, which receive power under various circumstances, the power going to one unit tries to reach ground somehow, and generally that means going through some filaments to their ground.

Hence you activate a signal and some other light comes on; you press on the brake and the instrument lights go out. It seems as if a dozen gremlins have invaded your vehicle, when all it needs is a replacement for a corroded or broken ground wire.

You can direct your curses at Lucas, Prince of Darkness, but his radio is not working either, so he will not hear you. Fortunately that means he will not respond.

Chevrolets were famous for lousy grounds in their taillights. I have seen lots of old Chevrolets with one bright taillight and one dim one. Sure enough, when the driver braked, the dim one went out and the bright one got brighter. The dim taillight fixture had no ground at all, and the taillight was lighting because the left and right brake lights were connected; the power got to ground through the brake light filament on the dim side and then the brake light on the bright side, until power reached the brake light filaments.

Good for you for solving the problem;
I hope the gremlins have been exorcised!
Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts