StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rising buddies bought a Kisan signal minder last year for his FJR and seems to like it. He is trying to convince me that I need one for my Strom. I read through a number of reviews here and they are a mixed bag. I would like to come up with a cheaper option, maybe some bright LED reminder lights on the dash or an audible reminder. Anyone here have any great low cost ideas?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The cheapest turn signal reminder out there is your left thumb. I developed the habit of hitting the turn signal cancel after just about every turn and randomly while cruising if I'm doing multiple lane changes...

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
The cheapest turn signal reminder out there is your left thumb. I developed the habit of hitting the turn signal cancel after just about every turn and randomly while cruising if I'm doing multiple lane changes...
:yesnod: I'm a compulsive button pusher.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you one of the 80 year olds that signals 500 ft before a turn, and then NEVER turns their signal off?

If so, get the hell off of motorcycles and take up golf

If not, train your hands. If you can train your hands shift, accelerate, brake etc, figuring out a turn signal switch shouldn't be hard.

People who buy shit like this should have their endorsement revoked :thumbdown:

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
I've gone entire time zones with the blinker working, what's the problem. Consider it a safety feature, folks notice you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you one of the 80 year olds that signals 500 ft before a turn, and then NEVER turns their signal off?

If not, train your hands. If you can train your hands shift, accelerate, brake etc, figuring out a turn signal switch shouldn't be hard.

People who buy shit like this should have their endorsement revoked :thumbdown:[/QUOTE

WOW!!!
Come on now, don't sugar coat it or nothing, tell us how you really feel....

·
Registered
117 Posts

Man, what happened to tolerance?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have ZERO tolerance for those who are paying so little attention they don't see the flashing light 2 feet in front of their face. Driving/riding is a privilege, and if you're that comatose behind the wheel/bars, you should have said privilege revoked.

Same for people who leave their high beams on at night with other cars around

Same for people with bits of plastic undercarriage hanging below their car, dragging on the street

Same for people who change lanes without doing a headcheck, and then swerve back into their lane and pretend they did nothing wrong

I'm not tolerant of dumb****s who endanger others on the road.

[/rant]

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
My first Suzuki was the LC1500, turn signal indicators on the top of the tank, way, way out of sight. As others here, I trained my left thumb to mash the turn signal button every single time I use the clutch. Along with other times, for no good reason at all. I got kinda paranoid about it, and am kind of amazed I've never worn one of them out.

·
Registered
563 Posts

:green_lol::green_lol:

I habitually cancel my signal mid turn, but have had my signal cancel fail twice this winter when wearing heavy gloves. I am adding LEDs, tapped into signal lines using posi-taps.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have ZERO tolerance for those who are paying so little attention they don't see the flashing light 2 feet in front of their face. Driving/riding is a privilege, and if you're that comatose behind the wheel/bars, you should have said privilege revoked.

Same for people who leave their high beams on at night with other cars around

Same for people with bits of plastic undercarriage hanging below their car, dragging on the street

Same for people who change lanes without doing a headcheck, and then swerve back into their lane and pretend they did nothing wrong

I'm not tolerant of dumb****s who endanger others on the road.

[/rant]
From time to time we're all dumbshits. For example, how you responded to Borghi.

Actually, I think it's an hilarious suggestion to install a bright blinking light to remind you of another bright blinking light. +1 for training your thumb to remember. It's FREE and you can take it wherever you go, on whatever you ride.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow.

Nice job, Gents. How to make a new member feel welcome; call him names and talk him down. Not one of you has made the slightest attempt to answer his question. You're doing a great job of preaching from that high horse though, keep up the good work.

To the original poster, sorry, I don't have an answer for for you but truthfully I'd be interested in seeing other options. Not sure I'd use one but I do ride with a buddy that habitually forgets. He's reminded with a subtle "Hey, Blinker Boy" over the headset. I'd buy him one.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
If not, train your hands. If you can train your hands shift, accelerate, brake etc, figuring out a turn signal switch shouldn't be hard. :thumbdown:
This can also be "overdone"........like the idiots who "think" they can text and drive at the same time without any effect on their driving reaction times.......:thumbdown:

I'm "tinkering" with the idea of installing a small LED (or two....or three) INSIDE my mirror, behind the glass, that will flash when my signals are on. It will serve two purposes: maybe remind me my signals are on........as well as alerting drivers behind me that I am turning. Stay tuned...........pics and details to follow.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm "tinkering" with the idea of installing a small LED (or two....or three) INSIDE my mirror, behind the glass, that will flash when my signals are on. It will serve two purposes: maybe remind me my signals are on........as well as alerting drivers behind me that I am turning. Stay tuned...........pics and details to follow.
It worked for more that one automotive manufacturer, can't be that bad an idea. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts

Oh my. The stupid is strong in this one...

:yesnod:

Are you really this abrasive in person, or is it just an internet thing?

It must be hard being perfect and all...

Stop it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
prioritize your $ spending

as a (somewhat) new Wee owner myself i've come to learn the strom has many aftermarket accessories which you might be interested in purchasing to enhance your riding experience, and that the turn signal indicator would be pretty low on that priority list.

yes leaving your signal on can be dangerous, causing cars to turn in front of you, and probably most of the best and experienced of us riders forget to cancel from time to time. (I'm a compulsive thumb pusher as well)

in response it Mitey's :furious: , I see those 'dumbs****' all the time when I ride, but there's not much I can do to about it; only how I respond to them. If I get out alive and unscathed, I WIN. If I get angry and curse and them and they get angry back, then I've jeopardized the other cars who they will encounter shortly afterward.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Short answer: sorry, no ideas for a low cost option other than using my left thumb frequently.

I've gotten pretty good about cancelling my signal, but every now and then something happens that gets my total attention to keep me alive during a turn and I forget the signal.

Thought about reminder lights, but one would have to bright enough to catch my attention during the day, which would make it too bright at night, and would have to stay on long enough that I'd see it in a quick glance at the dash (so maybe it shouldn't blink). I wouldn't want to listen to an audible alert while sitting at a long traffic signal.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
When i first started riding i was forgetting to hit the cancel button on occasion. I eventually developed a routine that i now use for all my riding and hitting that cancel button is a part of every turn. Now if i forget it my brain nags at me that i forgot something.. works good.

Having the light blink on the mirror is a cool suggestion. Can the mirror be taken out of the stock mirrors without breaking something? Could always attach lights to the outside of it too.

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
Can the mirror be taken out of the stock mirrors without breaking something?
:thumbup:
Yes........you can "dip" the mirror assembly in boiling water to loosen the plastic enough to pry the glass out. The glass IS attached to foam behind it with some kind of contact cement.....it loosened up as well in the boiling water. I'm looking at 1-2 LED's......anything more might be too bright.....I'll have to play around with it. The "mirror" finish is etched on the inside of the glass.....easily removed with an exacto knife. Most of the mirror stalk is hollow, but not all of it (so I don't think I can run the wires down the inside of the shaft....bummer). I got the idea from a feller that installed a voltmeter in his righthand mirror with red digital display......stayed on while the engine was running. I thought it a funny place to put a voltmeter, tho??

I'm also a believer that turn signals mounted on my Barkbuster Handguards (facing forward) might be a good idea as well......the guards stick out twice as far as my Buell signals do.......easily spotted by oncoming traffic.

Stay tuned........

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
WOW!! some of you guys are really nasty. Been watching too many thrasher movies or something. Easy up a bit. We've all left our turn signals on. Seems like a reasonable question to me.
I don't have an answer but if anyone comes up with a good idea, please post it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts