StromTrooper banner

Do you change your OEM signal turns lights to something else?

• No, I keep the OEM signal lights on my V-strom.

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Yes, I have replaced them with Flush Mounts.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Yes, I have replaced them with Short Stack Mounts.

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would do a quick poll on signal light replacement. I have noticed that a number of Vstrom owners have change out their OEM lights and I am wondering how common it is to change to something other than OEM turn signals. I have seen some threads about Buell flex turn signals, flush mount signals but it wasn't clear that many folks use those options. In the case of Buell, I'm sure its getting harder to find replacements. What is the collective wisdom of the V-cloud?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
You may want to include some other options in your poll.

I did change to flush mounts, but changed them again to handguard-mounted amber LED strips:

They seem to suffer less from the headlight halo effect of flush-mounts and the stock location.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Did add HyperLites 3-way set up to the rear so I have an additional set of signal lights there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You may want to include some other options in your poll.

I did change to flush mounts, but changed them again to handguard-mounted amber LED strips:

They seem to suffer less from the headlight halo effect of flush-mounts and the stock location.
Where did you find these LED Strips. Did you connect them as a direct replacement to the turn signals? Where they hard to install? I understand that you may need to add an additional load with you use LEDs or can you just change the turn signal relay?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Didn't change from stock on my 2007 but did open them up and put tinfoil behind the bulbs just to get some extra illumination. I think it makes a difference and is ridiculously cheap.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I changed mine to Bikemaster signals (4) for a new look after breaking one in a low speed crash. I added foil to increase reflection.

·
Registered
231 Posts
stock with tinted lenses it just blends in...........

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
I haven't had any tip overs so haven't had to think about this yet. ;)

Flush mounts sound good to me. The stock stems are expensive and weak.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Gravity made my decision for me, at least on the fronts. I put short stalk LED's on the front and back, much better. Had to change flasher units, but not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
The PO of my 2002 Vee admitted to a tipover on the left, but it didn't seem to hurt the stock front signal, or maybe he replaced it. Dunno.

I haven't had a tipover and don't plan to, so they're staying until I absolutely run out of other things to monkey with.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Stromin' Nroman - With respect to your yellow headlamp bulbs, have you received any adverse attention from law enforcement?

I use the H4 bulb linked below in one of my headlamps. It's not nearly as yellow as your bulbs, however.

Amazon.com: HELLA H83140121 Yellow Star H4 Light Bulb: Automotive

I've used one yellow headlight and one white headlight for a couple of years in several states, and I've never encountered an issue with LEOs. Compared to riding my other bikes, I do believe there's a difference in visibility -- fewer people seem to pull out in front of me, etc. Of course, the roads are full of the truly oblivious, so the difference is slight. But I'll take any edge I can get.

Here in Indiana, the law reads that you must have at least one white headlight facing forward, and bars red and blue lights facing forward. It doesn't specify that all headlights must be the exact same color, and it never defines an acceptable color range or temperature for white light.

One yellow headlight is simply not addressed in the laws, so it must be legal, right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
RangerRon
How would you describe the specs for that light?

How much did it cost?

What mods did you have to do if any.

Looks wicked hows it look?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I haven't had a tipover and don't plan to, so they're staying until I absolutely run out of other things to monkey with.
My thoughts as well. The only biy of turn signal monkeying I want to do is to see if I can change front bulb style and add the wiring to make the front's function as running lights as well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I made these super-bright LED rings for mine.
Bah! I have been planning something like this as a winter project. Here and I thought I'd be the first to do such a thing. I should have known.

Might as well compare notes: Did you do any sort of writeup on this? How'd you mount the ring to the housing? I'd planned to cut form an acrylic plate to the shape of the inside of the housing with the LEDs siliconed or glued into holes in the acrylic, then silicone the plate into the housing.

How do you have the ring wired? Are they blinkers? Running? Brakes?

Basically I'm copying this. My friend put this kit on his cruiser and it is pretty nifty. I worked out the diode circuit (which is pretty trivial actually) a couple weekends ago. Our bikes are wired like theirs: both turn signals go to ground when the signal is not lit.

·
Registered
15,432 Posts
Due to crash damage I just changed out the fronts with a cheap($14) units from the honda shop. I need to find a hot wire so I can hook up the running light filament.
Cheap and practical.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I used the B/Bl low beam hot wire for my running lights. I figure if I am running high beams, there is no need for running lights.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts