StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had really wanted to install flush mount turn signals. Now, I'm wondering if that's a good idea.

This afternoon, I came across a bike at a four-way stop. He was directly across from me with his left hand blinker going. It took a full five seconds for me to locate his turn signals when I was hunting for them. The signals were almost complete stealth -- worthless for signaling.

What would happen if a strobe light element were fitted into a flush mount and the electronics adjusted for a once-per-second flash rate. Would this be legal? Would this be visible?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Faster is Better

I would think you would want 4 or 5 times a second to been seen better. Once a second seems slow.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
It also depends on what type of flush mounts you get. Most sport bike riders are trying to make the bike look "clean" and don't care about visibility. Lots of lights are designed for the look and not the function. So get a set of flushmounts that are bright too :)
Eric

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
My flushmounts don't seem any worse than the stockers.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I do not depend on my front turn signals in either my cages or my bike to let other drivers know I am turning. In cages the turn signals are right beside the headlights (we have daytime running lights here) and on the bike they are also quite close. Either situation makes them hard to see day or night.

If you are turning left, the oncoming traffic usually has the right of way whether they see your signals or not. If you are turning right you probably have the right of way. If they don't know you are turning they may not pull out in front of you.

Rear signal lights are much more visible and a lot more useful.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, but something I have noticed with most newer bikes in recent years is that the manufacturers are no longer making a turnsignal/running light combo anymore. My 2005 SV650 that I just sold had none. I had to make my own parking/running lights for it, and will do the same for the DL1000. Parking running lights give the bike a signature on the road at night. When I see a single headlight coming at me, it's hard to tell what it is until it passes you.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
There is a pretty cheap and easy modification to improve stock signals. The idea is not mine, but coming from a fellow this forum.
Use alu tape to cover the inside of the lamp housings.
It makes no wonder, but a bit better the visibility.

Here are all the pics on the installation.

Here is a short vid to compare the lamps with and without the mod.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Could do that I guess. A lot easier than threading wire through the rubber backing of the signal housing. There is much less current draw with the parking lights than with the fog lights. Decisions......
Jim

·
Registered
376 Posts
<snip> In cages the turn signals are right beside the headlights (we have daytime running lights here) and on the bike they are also quite close. Either situation makes them hard to see day or night. <snip>
I noticed a new car a couple of days ago (Dodge Magnum?) that turns the daylight running headlight off on the side the turn signal is flashing. This would be easy to do with a couple of relays on the dual headlights of the DL. Was on a group ride with a bunch of BMWs and Honda STs and two different riders told me the VStrom turn signals are near invisible in bright daylight.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
msi1259 said:
I noticed a new car a couple of days ago (Dodge Magnum?) that turns the daylight running headlight off on the side the turn signal is flashing.
I noticed one a few days ago also. I thought I must have been imagining things then I noticed another one today. Smart Idea. Besides making the turn signal more visible it also draws attention to the fact that you are turning.
I never could understand the logic of putting a turn signal a couple of inches from a headlight.

·
Registered
376 Posts
<snip> It took a full five seconds for me to locate his turn signals when I was hunting for them. The signals were almost complete stealth -- worthless for signaling. <snip>
As an experiment, I installed LEDs around my turn signal today, and was wondering if anyone else has tried this? Is there an optimal placement or angle? The LEDs are very bright if you are at exactly the right height and directly in front - but don't seem to make a dramatic difference. I've ordered 50 bright 10 MM LEDs from eBay ($0.40 ea with shipping) and am going to try 6 LEDs in two strings of 3 (the 3 are in series with a 150 ohm resistor). I soldered directly to the existing turn signals bulb holder - but I would guess running lights could be done in a similar fashion with wires running through the stalk.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The LEDs are very bright if you are at exactly the right height and directly in front - but don't seem to make a dramatic difference.
Discovered that with the lens covers off on the front, the side with the LEDs actually is dramatically brighter - but with the yellow lens on, most of the difference disappears. Tried different configurations while watching the reflection in a mall window - the lens appear to allow light from the center to pass through easily, but any light off the focal point makes little difference. It seems the lens is maybe a sort of Fresnel lens ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens ) that gives the proper beam spread mandated by DOT? Possibly this is why there is no reflector behind the bulb - because it actually makes little difference? I seem to remember noticing most LED lights have flat clear covers (not "lens") over them. The LEDs off center in my setup show as diffused little squares of light directly above each LED. Are the clear covers on 2007 DL turn signals a fresnel like lens also?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Turn Signal Invisibility

This is not unique to the VStrom.

My wife was on a GZ250 (remember MSF class?) following me.
She needed to pull over so she turned on her signal in daylight with her high beam on, I missed the cue.
Low beams were not a problem.

So we switched and she couldn't see my signals, high beams or low.

I think have some aluminum tape around here somewhere.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has anyone considered mounting turn signals on the hand guards?

It seems to me that it should be possible to find appropriately shaped and sized after market signal units that could be mounted on the flat surface of the guards and the wires routed down the handle bars. One might even consider leaving the stock signals in place, just to double the possibility that cagers might see you.

I have just mounted the OEM hand guards on my '07 Wee (fit just fine, thank you), and I'm just beginning to think about this possibility.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts