StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have less than 300 miles on my DL650 and I don't know if the turn signals are working right. After I make my turn are the turn signal supposed to turn itself off like in a car (or on my Harley). Maybe I'm spoiled by that feature since my Sportster has it. It just seems like a simple enough thing Suzuki would have added it by now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Manual turn off.
The turn signal switch is mechanical. Pressing it in is required to turn it off.
If it was electronic, it probably could turn off automatically.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
No, self-cancelling indicators are not a feature of the V-Strom.

They are a handy feature, maybe they might appear on future generations.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
My 79 Yamaha had them and when I started riding again and bought the Vstrom they weren't there. Doesn't make sense. All technology is going forward except the turn signals. :confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
considering how dangerous it is to leave them on accidentally when on a bike you would think all bikes would come with auto canceling turn signals.

I would venture to say its maybe even more important a feature than ABS!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I had auto cancelling turn signals on my 1978 Yamaha XS1100E. I didn't like them. They were always turn off before the turn so I had to signal twice. Then I would cancel them manually anyway. Part of riding safely is checking your instruments regularly and doing so will show the blinker indicator if you had gotten distracted and left it on.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I just ordered an "indicator warning buzzer" on ebay. I've always hesitated to put beepers on the turn signals, but this one has an adjustable delay before it starts beeping. While not a cancel, it will let you know the signal is still on. Seems a good compromise.

I forget what bike it is, but I saw one with signal cancel that was on a timer, but only started after you had moved so many feet, or something to that effect.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I forget what bike it is, but I saw one with signal cancel that was on a timer, but only started after you had moved so many feet, or something to that effect.
IIRC the 1200GS has one which won't cancel if you have the brakes applied, or haven't traveled a certain distance, which seemed to about right most of the time.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've fitted a warning system like the ones these people sell: Azonic Solutions WWW site - review here: V-Strom Owners Site UK • View topic - Indicator "left on" warning system

It seems to work quite well although the buzzer could be louder. The suppression while the brakes are on is a good feature although it would be even better if that reset the timer.
The BIS03 is the one I ordered. Will try to remember to post back after I install it. Not sure how long shipping will be from UK.

·
38,048 Posts
I'm pretty sure the one I had cancelled after traveling 400 feet and 10 seconds had both elapsed. Standing at a light would only affect the latter. The problem was I like to signal more than 400 feet ahead of time. I see later models used 500 feet and 15 seconds. That might have worked but I would be manually canceling after turns where I didn't have to stop.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Of course it's not hard, but there's that one time when you're distracted and forget. On a bike that could have deadly consequences.

And occasionally I bump the horn, too. Never did that on the old bike, must be something about the location of the button on the V-Strom.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I also came from a H-D Sportster to the V-Strom. That was one feature that worked really well on the Harley. 99% of the time it switched them off correctly.

Suzuki needs to copy Harley on this one.

·
38,048 Posts
People need to look at their instruments regularly. If you think riding for miles with a turn signal on is bad, try an oil pressure warning light.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My eyes are constantly roving, instruments, mirrors, road..........numptys. Sometimes they get left on for more than a few feet after a turn but that's about it. Riding a bike is about being more involved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts