StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any down side to doing this? I have alot of tread left with a vey small puncture hole near the center line in good tread on the front tire. Only downside I can think of is not being able to plug the tire on the road. I'd like to put a couple more thousand miles on the tire and replace both at the same time and still have an equal safety level on both tires.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Have a tube in the rear tire. No excessive heat issues or balance problems. One quarter the price of replacing the tire and there is still lots of tread to use up. Dealer installed the tube and balanced.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a tube in the rear tire. No excessive heat issues or balance problems. One quarter the price of replacing the tire and there is still lots of tread to use up. Dealer installed the tube and balanced.
Just had the same thing done on my front tire today. $30. Now I just need to avoid the nails...

·
Registered
639 Posts
did he put a small patch on the inside?

and clean the hole really well?

I have replaced tubes only to have a small leak from one or two of the broken wires pop up into the tire and pin hole the tube.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and clean the hole really well?

I have replaced tubes only to have a small leak from one or two of the broken wires pop up into the tire and pin hole the tube.
Yes, he said he trimmed the plug off and left if flush on the inside and outside. I suggested he put a piece of duct tape over the hole for the reason you mentioned, and he said it was not necessary. Very small nail hole in the tire, and he said they would not even tube it if the fix was not safe. These guys only do tires and parts, so I have to trust them. I will take it slow the first few trips on it though. This is my first tube repair. I've had rear tires plugged and rode them with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts