StromTrooper banner

Tube or Tubeless

11K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  bwringer 
#1 ·
I am about to have a set of Anakee III tyres on my DL650. I find that I need to top up the air in my current (original) tyres every couple of weeks.

90% of my riding is on sealed roads. The remainder on gravel roads.

Should be installing tubes or staying tubeless?

#4 ·
Just put tubes in the tubeless tyres. ;)

(stay tubeless)

#6 ·
Tubeless is the way to go (stay).

If you are losing air over a two week period you will have a leaking valve or a small air weep from the tyre bead, or you may actually have a small nail or object in the tread somewhere that is letting air seep out.

Never pull out a nail or object until you are in a position to plug the tyre or have it repaired.

#7 ·
From experience, tubeless tyres win every time. Second is a tube in a tubeless tyre to get to a place to repair the tyre.

Any tyre I've have which was damaged could either be repaired with a plug or was so badly damaged that not even a tube in it could get me going again.

My experience with tubeless and air pressure losses is that any loss over a few months indicates some problem which needs to be corrected.

Doug

#9 ·
I've had the Anakee III tyres on now for 2 years and on the hardtop they are the best I've ever had, they stick to the road like s**t to a blanket and are very confidence inspiring, however....on the dirt they are not so confidence inspiring, in particular the front tyres, I just don't believe they are good for anything more than hard packed gravel...they are no where as confidence inspiring than when I had the Metzeler Tourances which gave me a lot of confidence on such a big bike in the dirt.
I haven't done much dirt recently so like most, my riding has been on the blacktop so the A III's do the job very well....but on the dirt I've gotta go so much more slower than my previous tyres.

You always should check pressures cold about once a week. On my Strom I do 38 rear and 32 front but I'f I'm touring with a bit of a load I'll jack up each an extra 2 PSI's.

Cheers

wobbly_boot

Dave

#10 ·
I have a brand new Anakee 2 rear tyre still in the plastic wrap in the shed if anyone wants to hand me $100 for it.. don't have a bike that it fits on any more. (DR650, KLE500, and the Honda VF500 all take narrower, or different diameter tyres than the Strom did)

#15 ·
Motorcycle tires are much more sensitive to changes in ambient temperature due to their lower volume than a car tire. It's not unusual for pressures to fluctuate on a daily basis. Once ambient temps stabilize for the season, you should see less fluctuation.

#17 ·
Make sure the shop takes a few minutes to actually clean the old rubber bits off the rims where the tire bead seats. This can make a dramatic difference in the rate of air loss, but the tire monkeys at most shops never bother.

That said, motorcycles aren't cars (in case you hadn't noticed), the air volume inside the tires is smaller, and it's perfectly normal to lost a couple of PSI a week. You don't really have an actual problem, but I bet cleaning the rims before installing the new tires would improve things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.