StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '04 DL650.
The previous owner had the clutch start switch jumpered.
Since I'm a new rider I thought I'd better add back all the safety features I could find.

Unfortunately pulling the jumper from the connector and plugging it back in didn't work. Now I can't start it even with the clutch lever pulled. I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem. But I'm working without service manuals (they should get here in about a week) so I'm a bit in the dark.

I know that the clutch lever itself has been replaced. But not the piece that mounts the lever to the bars. Might there be a compatibility problem?

Looking inside the mounting bracket for the clutch lever I can't see any sort of contacts (brushes, plates, or otherwise) that could "sense" whether the clutch level is pulled or not. How is the switch supposed to work?

If anybody has any troubleshooting suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
If you could post some pictures, that might really help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The clutch switch is a separate part. It's #6 on the diagram. 37560-31F00 is the part number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pic greywolf!

I can see the little finger of the switch poking up through the mounting bracket. But it's stuck in the far back position (clutch disengaged). When I squeeze the clutch lever the switch finger doesn't slide forward like it's supposed to. Probably got broken when the original lever did.

After work I'll pull it out and see if I can get a replacement.

Thanks againfor the pic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts