Strom Trooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 DL650 with about 50k on it. A week ago I noticed a strange noise on my bike when I give it a few revs. I am posting a link to the video below. I couldn't get it to make the noise when the bike was on the center-stand, I needed to ride it. I am a first time poster, but have appreciated the forums in the past. Thanks to all who contribute. (After trying to post the link, I see I have to have 10 posts first to be able to do so). I am not sure if there is a way for anyone who wants to help to contact me directly for the you-tube link. Thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There's no link showing, probably because of your low post count, but it's not uncommon for these bikes to develop a whirring noise that comes and goes in different gears. It can be caused by normal wear and tear but also from the rubber on the front sprocket going hard with age or the rubber swingarm protector being worn down and spinning the rollers on the chain as they pass.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You have crash bars on the bike?

How about the chain? On the rear sprocket, when you pull the chain away at the 3 o'clock position, does it move, can you see light?

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
yah, the chain wear can make noise. i put a metal front sprocket on and noticed no change in the sound of the bike when running.
Ear Plugs can mask a lot of non problematic sounds though. Even with ear plugs I can hear the engine sing when the revs go high!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You can still post your link, just leave a space in the path name so that the system does not see it as a link and then ask one of the moderators to correct the link for you.

·
Registered
447 Posts
...or ask the moderators to remove your no-link restriction. That restriction is here to prevent robots from setting up accounts automatically and then spamming the forum with links and other forms of advertising. The 10-post limit is making that harder. But if you are a genuine user (like you seem to be), the moderators can remove the restriction even if you don't have 10 posts yet. Same for pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts