StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after putting 780 miles on the bike in less than a week, I have decided I need a trunk (my shoulder can't handle the backpack on the longer rides). I looked at some of the trunks that are out there, but none really seem to catch my eye. I was thinking of possibly pulling a used trunk off a bike in a bone yard. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, if so what bike did you take it from, and pictures please, even if you haven't, ideas for donor bikes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Ok, so after putting 780 miles on the bike in less than a week, I have decided I need a trunk (my shoulder can't handle the backpack on the longer rides). I looked at some of the trunks that are out there, but none really seem to catch my eye. I was thinking of possibly pulling a used trunk off a bike in a bone yard. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, if so what bike did you take it from, and pictures please, even if you haven't, ideas for donor bikes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
My first trunk was from JC Whitney and it was one of those $60 specials. Worked well for me but then I picked up some used Givi gear and gave the trunk to my brother who now uses it on his Ninja 650.

Here it is:

·
Registered
858 Posts
there are tons of options out there for trunks, from jc whitney specials to very nice pelican top cases. any trunks you wanna take off a bashed up bike are typically either going to be integral to the bike, and thus could be difficult to mount, or, are going to be an aftermarket addition you would be able to buy without all the scratches and bumps and UV damage.

personally, i think that the lot of givi top cases look alright, as well as several people that have used things like Fat Max tool boxes and low, long tubber made cases.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
bestem top box

i recently added the trunk to mine as i commute on my bike and was getting tired of having both saddle bags on when i only needed one.

i ended up buying the top box made by bestem

Suzuki v-strom DL650 DL1000 Bestem Top Box Trunk

it's identical to my givi E360 saddle bags, just doesn't have the givi logo, and it's a lot cheaper! the quality is a little less than the givi, but it's been working great so far, and i use it everyday, take it on and off the bike and haven't had any issues yet, and for $100 to my door it's pretty good. it's also quite a bit bigger than the generic one on jc whitney.

that's my 2 cents on the topbox

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
+1 on the Bestem.....very inexpensive and surprisingly well constructed. There's a few how-to's on the internet on how to adapt the bestem mounting plate to the Strom's rack - it's easy, but it does require some butchery of the Bestem mounting plate - no big deal, but you should know it's not an instant installation, unlike boxes/mounting plates specifically designed for the Strom, instead of a one size fits all design like the Bestem.

But, for about $80 incl. shipping, it's a screamin' deal if you don't mind a little creative metal snipping.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
+1 on the Bestem.....very inexpensive and surprisingly well constructed. There's a few how-to's on the internet on how to adapt the bestem mounting plate to the Strom's rack - it's easy, but it does require some butchery of the Bestem mounting plate - no big deal, but you should know it's not an instant installation, unlike boxes/mounting plates specifically designed for the Strom, instead of a one size fits all design like the Bestem.

But, for about $80 incl. shipping, it's a screamin' deal if you don't mind a little creative metal snipping.
good point jokermtb. i forgot to mention the mounting bracket isn't a "straight bolt on". i had to take one of the cross bars and cut a little off of both ends, then i had to buy some different bolts and nuts then what was supplied (supplied bolts were too long). but in about 30 minutes (not including the run to the hardware store) i had the plate mounted to the factory rear rack.

if you are interested i can post some pictures of mine mounted? i don't have any right now but could take some this afternoon?

and i would have to agree that for $80 it is very well constructed.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
...I need a trunk (my shoulder can't handle the backpack ....
Smart. A friend hit a forest rat (deer), and the notebook computer in his backpack broke six ribs when he went down.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
some bestem pictures

here are some pictures of my bestem trunk for reference.

here is the top view of the bracket, you can see all the different mounting holes

here is one shot of the underside

here is one a little closer. the nearest bar was cut shorter, almost all the way to the slot. they are cut so they sit flat against the bottom of the facory rear rack, you can see where the rib dips down.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Yeah - I think I too cut down those 'gold' mounting bars a bit to get optimum placement [about 2" aft of the seat end, so my passenger could have a little back-room]. It's an easy hack to get that Bestem to fit, but you do have to use a little creativity to figure out your own solution to the puzzle.

The Bestem box is fabulous for carrying most IMPORTANT cargo [a key requirement in ANY top box!]:

Had room for yet another 6-pack, but I didn't feel like carrying all that!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah - I think I too cut down those 'gold' mounting bars a bit to get optimum placement [about 2" aft of the seat end, so my passenger could have a little back-room]. It's an easy hack to get that Bestem to fit, but you do have to use a little creativity to figure out your own solution to the puzzle.

The Bestem box is fabulous for carrying most IMPORTANT cargo [a key requirement in ANY top box!]:

that's one of the best top box pictures i have ever seen!!

i'm glad to see someone else is as happy with there bestem box as well.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Whichever box you buy and mount, make sure you are comfortable (i.e. able to??) swinging your right leg over the box during mount/dismount. I wasn't.........got rid of the tall Whitney/GIVI Clone and opted for a shorter Pelican 1500 (or 1550??). I know........much less usuable space (the Pelican is a flat box) but my chunky, stiff, brittle body could not manage the "swing-over". There is still space on top of the Pelican for a small bag/duffle that will not stop my right leg from reaching the peg or ground.......... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
350 Posts
My leg goes in front of the top box. (Over the passenger seat)

I have one that was on sale for $50 from sears. I believe it's pretty much the same as a besteem top box. Find one the size and price you want. If the mounting plate isn't designed for a strom you will have to modify it but it's not that hard.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
my leg goes in front of top box just fine. just have to point the toe when i kick it over. although i have seen my elders (dad and uncle) struggle on occasion to clear there top box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My view is that any box you can swing your leg over is way too small... here's a shot of the 112 liter box I made for my last bike, an Aprilia Shiver. I'm in the process now of fitting it to my recently acquired '09 Wee-Strom.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just bought a barely used Bestem T-box and have to say that for the cost, I am impressed with the quality and fit. It is not as nice as an equivalent Givi, but at less than third of the cost, it is a great box.

Like others have said, mounting it will be a pain, as the hardware it comes with needs to be modified - holes drilled, sides shortened, bolts are too long etc...

I bought the Bestem for $60 delivered mainly because I was not sure if I will like having a trunk on the bike. If it does not work for me, I can always sell it for close to what I have in it and move on to a different solution, or a higher quality, more expansive case/trunk.

The fact that I can fit my large full face helmet into it, as well as some loose items like gloves, tools, etc. is enough of a reason for me to appreciate having it.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
My view is that any box you can swing your leg over is way too small... here's a shot of the 112 liter box I made for my last bike, an Aprilia Shiver. I'm in the process now of fitting it to my recently acquired '09 Wee-Strom.

Damn, I hope that is a photoshop job...

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can never have too much room, get the givis, they each hold two helmets, that is a big deal.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Where'd all the darn pictures go from this thread?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts