StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how often people have had to get the spokes trued on their bikes? It is something I have been thinking about a lot in picking which flavor of Vstrom is best.

Any information about this would be very helpful and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post :)

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
My spokes haven't budged on my 2015 XT, and my rim is 100% true with very little weights needed for balancing.

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
All that I have ever needed to do to my dirt bikes is occasionally raise the front wheel off the deck, spin it and as you do so brush the spoke spanner (or any metal tool) against the spokes.
You will hear a tink, tink, tink from each spoke as it is hit. Any loose spoke will sound flat by comparison. Tighten that spoke until it sounds like the others.

Using this procedure I have never had a wheel become out of true and need to be re-aligned.

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
It's an art. I re-spoked a bicycle set of wheels. It takes some effort to get any offset correct and there is the talent to understand you may have to tighten the off side to get the results you want.
I don't remember ever messing with the spokes on my '55 Ariel Huntmaster or the '73 Honda 500/4.
And yes, a loose spoke will really sound off then struck with a mallet or screwdriver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts