StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you members are aware from my past posts I had been subjected to a rather nasty deal from my local Suzuki dealership
with the purchase of my bike in July of this year. Well now comes the time to take the bike in for the first 600 mile service.
I'm thinking to myself surely the same BS cannot happen again - Right ? oh yes it can and did. Follow along.

I call and make an appointment for service this last Saturday, First in line, Asked for Amsoil upgrade and M 109 filter.
Service guy said maybe $20 extra. No problem. 2 1/2 hours later I see a service tech riding my bike out of the dealership.
So I'm thinking ok they have my bike done, just a few more minutes and I'm gone. No not just yet. The horror is still to come !

Service guy brings over some papers and says "sorry sir we can't put the Amsoil filter on your bike because Suzuki would not accept it
if a claim was filed." I said your service manager told me no problem ! Oh he's only been hear a few months - he didn't know.
And I'm getting scarred now. So Suzuki filter and Amsoil. I said ok what ever just let me leave. They did - And I rode the bike home.
The whole way back I felt and heard some strange rattle sound. Creepy You know! So I pull in the garage pop the seat off the bike ,
(sound seemed to come from under there ) Now this is crazy, Said service guy forgot to put the vibration isolator under and through
the rear hold down bolt on the gas tank. Scarry huh. Not over yet - The front 2 bolts that held the front gas tank mount were loose
and the left bolt broken in 2 pieces , as well as the bracket installed backwards and positioned in front of the trim. The right side bolt
was loose by 5 threads. So After that I called the service manager and told him what I found. Back to dealer I go.
Here's the real scare, I pull into the service bay the guy that worked on my bike to me looked just like Micheal Myers hockey mask and all.
That blank stare and hollow looking face staggering over towards me arms outstretched. Then I woke back up, It was a Mexican guy
holding a wrench, Sir let me show you what I fixed. Oh you fixed it alright. I said. So they proceed to take parts off the showroom bike
just like mine to get the parts need to replaced my tattered bits. I was already shaking uncontrollably. The hockey mask seemed to fade in and out as I watched him show me how he desecrated my bike. Then they showed me the bill for $465 for the service but since I had the service contract was ZERO cost to me. I told the service manager that If I paid cash for this you guys would be eating all the cost of this service hack.
He assured me the Bad parts of this movie in my mind were over. I rode away from there with absolutely ZERO confidence in any creature, human
or otherwise that works at that business. When I got home my wife said the movie Halloween is on do you want to see it ? No - I already saw it in person just a few hours ago...... jake:wink2:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Yeah, that is a Horror story. I have a very long warranty on mine, and I just realized the downside is having to get expensive services done by people you don't know or trust. Whoever was that disinterested and incompetent should be fired before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Yeah, that is a Horror story. I have a very long warranty on mine, and I just realized the downside is having to get expensive services done by people you don't know or trust. Whoever was that disinterested and incompetent should be fired before someone gets hurt.
Actually not accurate if you live in the US. You can work on your bike yourself or have any shop do it (manufacturer or independent shop is fine). Your warranty coverage will be valid. I have extended warranty on my Yamaha but still do everything myself.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that too. Like if he forgets to tighten an axle nut or caliper bolts, Steering head bolt. I know things are not designed
to just "fly Apart" if loose but still makes you wonder what your paying $120 per hour for? Some numb skull with a hangover twisting
wrenches on your bike. I paid for the service contract on this bike. If I could fly back in time I would have said no thanks.
Thing is I can do most of the service work myself. I just don't have experience with the fuel injection side of the equation.
Would have saved myself about $35 per month on the payments. And I have MAZ4ME as my backup call in mechanic. He's great
and always willing to make sense of it all.:wink2:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually not accurate if you live in the US. You can work on your bike yourself or have any shop do it (manufacturer or independent shop is fine). Your warranty coverage will be valid. I have extended warranty on my Yamaha but still do everything myself.
Sorry my voucher says SKY POWER SPORTS on it so I cannot take it to another dealer or shop and use the voucher. Otherwise I pay cash
for what I paid over$1800 for. This guy may have fallen prey to this trap too.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
It definitely is good to be able to take your biz elsewhere.

My Vstrom was used so of course no warranty attached. I had my first valve clearance check done at one independent shop, but I decided never to go back after they insisted on a completely unnecessary coolant flush & replacement (long story). Also, they charge what to me is highway robbery for an off-bike tire swap ($50+!).

I found a different shop run by a dirt bike guy. They've done work for me a couple of times now, and I'll keep going back. They haven't insisted on any unnecessary work. They also charge ~$25 to swap a tire if I bring in the wheel, which is more like it.

I still haven't had anything done at the actual Suzuki dealership. Inflated labor rates, margin built into parts...nah.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I get the Amsoil filter not being accepted as it is not a factory part or there is nothing to prove it is manufactured to meet or exceed Suzuki specifications. Honestly there is nothing to gain using and aftermarket filter verses OEM.

I prefer to work on my own motorcycles especially when folks are getting charged $465 for what really is an $30 oil change and maybe clean/lube and check the tension of the chain with the toe of your shoe. If they spend 20 to 30 minutes on a bike I'd be surprised.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For mine the labor sheet said 2 1/2 hours labor $300 Just for the said parts and shop supplies was the other $165.
I watched every second after it was returned for repair and it took over an hour to fix what he F'd up.

The service manager tried to satisfy me by saying he would not let this guy work on my bike again, but his
best mechanic was out with a death in the family, but next time he was my guy. Gee I'm all fuzzy thinking about that. OMG

I'm praying for this to be over soon. I tried the BBB complaint route and did nothing, Contacted Suzuki USA and called out the dealership
as inferior, incompetent Baboons Trained to rip off the public. Dealership never responded to the formal complaint so the BBB closed the case.

Closest other sky power sports is 60 miles away.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to hear of your Dealer problems. Seems like it’s very hard to find a good one today as most just see to be interested in the $$$ anyway they can get it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I try not to vent to you guys on here, Rather just make you aware of what can happen at these dealerships. And many times
they suck us in with promises and grandeur statements. And then the reality is a total 180. From what I saw about 1 10th
of the service shop area that I went to was for service work. The rest was a storage location for 4 wheelers and side by sides.
So you could see they could not handle very many bikes at any one time.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Quite a crummy service shop there. No fun at all when you the owner have to go over all their "work" to find all their mistakes. And then have them fix their goof-ups. My new bike goes to a non-Suzuki dealership with a fine service department. Just keep the paperwork.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Don't ever assume the lead mechanic is going to be working on you motorcycle especially when it's a menial task like prepping a bike for sale, 1st service/routine maintenance stuff or tire changing. Always expect the lowest level shop monkey to be delegated these tasks. You know that kid that just graduated motorcycle tech school and thinks he knows everything.

The only way the dealer can keep "that mechanic" from working on your bike in the future is terminate his employment. If you take the bike in again the dealer can always apologize again and say I forgot. Or say he's the only mechanic on staff to dat of any other number of excuses. Since you are most likely not allowed in the service area you don't know what monkey is monkeying with your bike.

I'd also never buy a service contract as it lock you into using that dealership. Even if you have a good experience one time labor and/or management can change not guaranteeing you'll always have a good experience. Paying little more for individual service is a convenience of not being locked into something you pay for and then have the confidence to use. So you go elseware and end up paying double.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fully understand, But that ship has sailed away from me. Trying to swim to it now would mean drowning.
So I'm planning some strategy to help get through the next level. At 4000 miles is the next hurdle. Currently at 650
So it will be a while, And many employee's they have now are moving to the new facility at SR 46 and I4 in Sanford.
So I can only HOPE that maybe a legit Service manager that knows what to do steps into the picture.

We'll see. 2 strikes already in a 3 strikes your out ball game.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Just asking(not being a 'enis with a "P"), but what are your reason for getting a service contract? Did it extend the warranty & how many miles does it cover? Are you intimidated about being skilled enough to do your own service or some other reason?

This is something to consider for the next bike: For $1800 you could have taken some basic mechanical classes and bought more than enough tools to work on these bikes. Also, keep in mind that us clowns here on this forum actually like helping those out that are a bit timid with a wrench. There are diagrams, photo's and videos for those like me that need visual guidance. Oil changes, chain replacement & tire changes can all be done by a chimpanzee. Orangutan's should be used for valve checks since we all know they are smarter than lesser simians. Other than that, these bikes really don't usually require much more.

Many here just don't trust others to work on our bikes for exactly the reason you have posted so we go out of our comfort zone to learn. Anyway, it's something to consider............

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok enis- P I get what your saying - Background- have been riding motorcycles for 40 years, working on them
since I was a teen. Now 61 I just wanted less to do with wrenching details and more time to just ride and enjoy.
Not knowing the dealership was going to be a nightmare I went for the extended warranty and the 3 year service
contract. Non Refundable. First new bike since 1984. Can I do the service work - YES. I have all the tools
except the ones that would be required for the fuel injection service. So Sure I could probably do all that was required
myself and still could. At an $1800 cost spread out over all the payments.

Like I said I have a plan in place, I will see how that works for me. 1 more costly mistake and thats it. Then it's
Legal action.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Ok, we are the same age. I do think you missed the fact that in this day and age, not a lot of folks work like we did......or like me... want to think they do. Reality is they don't and the consumer suffers greatly. I'm not knocking you at all since I would like nothing better than to be able to drop my bike off, & have it fixed correctly for a reasonable amount of money. At least around here that is a fantasy. Other parts of this great country are different and I do know for a fact there are really good dealerships out there. I sincerely hope you can find one near you.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The service manager tried to satisfy me by saying he would not let this guy work on my bike again, but his
best mechanic was out with a death in the family, but next time he was my guy. Gee I'm all fuzzy thinking about that. OMG
I would not have dismissed the value of that offer with a guffaw especially since you paid $1800 for access to his best mechanic.

I'm praying for this to be over soon.
Pray all you want but it is over, you lose. Consider the $1800 sunk cost now. Because....

I tried the BBB complaint route and did nothing, Contacted Suzuki USA and called out the dealership as inferior, incompetent Baboons Trained to rip off the public. Dealership never responded to the formal complaint so the BBB closed the case.
I am fairly certain the owner knows or can guess who registered the complaints so I can guarantee that he is hardly motivated to help you now.

I have my own business, when the BBB calls to tell me I have a complaint against my company I tell them to relay the following message to the customer "grow a pair and call me directly". In 20 years the only unresolved disputes were from extremely unreasonable customers, the only ones who seem to use the BBB. I also tell them that I don't deal with shakedown orgs like the BBB and to remove me from their call list. I literally do not care about their reviews, it is a scam.

Closest other sky power sports is 60 miles away.
Bummer for you. Anyone who has been riding for 40 years and has mechanical experience (as you claim) should know that these warranties are pretty much worthless (and a big money maker for dealerships) because

• They never pay out and they will soak you for hundreds of dollars of billable work and parts just troubleshooting the problem before they payout.
  • Some monkey (NOT an Orangutan, LOL) gets to work on your bike.
  • You lose your bike for months to make a claim or repeated visits to fix something five times.
The service contracts just lose the first bullet point so they aren't much better.

I bought a used L4 Wee in April and the seller had an extended warranty that runs till 2019. I didn't even read the paperwork or initiate the transfer because nobody touches my bike but me for all the reasons cited above. If the engine blew up due to a manufacturing flaw I would have parted it out or done an engine swap. But that's just me.

TBH, I think you have three choices here;

One; swallow your pride and patch up your relationship with the dealership/owner and try to make a go of it. DO NOT BRING IN THE LAWYERS. It is probably not too late if you are nice and the owner sticks to his promise to give you his best mechanic. If you don't want to wrench any more and don't want to write off the $1800 as a loss these are the terms. Alternatively, forget that you paid the $1800 for service and find a local, independent mechanic who will work with you and build some trust.

Second; if you want the gold-plated, dealership experience then $1800 is not the price of membership. My recommendation is to sell the 'Strom at a loss and buy a BMW with full coverage because from what I have read their mechanics are highly trained and they will do warranty and service work and get it right, eventually. But to join the country club you have to afford the fees. It is not for no reason that people joke that BMW stands Bring My Wallet. Your mistake was buying the budget bike and the reality is maybe you aren't rich enough to afford to ride without doing your own wrenching, something to consider.

Third; Dust off those tools and keep on wrenching. As others have mentioned, this isn't your grandfather's or even your dad's motorcycle world -- there are tons of videos on youtube and even customized personal help through this website. You keep mentioning not having the tools to deal with fuel injection but maybe you don't know the benefit of fuel injection is you don't need ANY tools. Fuel injection is the least problematic part of the bike that hardly needs any service or attention EVER!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i'm glad you blew out all that wind for nothing be cause I will handle it my way not yours. Like it or not.

You do not know any of whats going on here so don't try to play judge or jury. please.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts