StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 dl650, 50k miles. Headlight relay installed when new.

Just started on this trip to CO. Starting is iffy. Chec lite isn't on, fuel pump cycles, but starter doesn't turn over. Cycling the kill switch seems to help and it eventually starts.

I'll spray it with electrical contact cleaner tomorrow before motel parking lot dissassembly.

Any suggestions welcome. Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
When I hit the starter button and it doesn't start, the headlights go out as usual. This indicates to me that the starter switch is functional.
Whether the transmission is in gear or in neutral doesn't seem to make a difference. Does this indicate the sidesteps switch isn't the problem?
It will start after hitting starter button several times without rocking the kill switch. This seems to indicate the kill switch isn't the problem.
Do you agree with these assumptions?
I'll be home next week, any new suggestions?
TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Update:

When I hit the starter button and it doesn't start, the headlights go out as usual. This indicates to me that the starter switch is functional.

Whether the transmission is in gear or in neutral doesn't seem to make a difference. Does this indicate the sidesteps switch isn't the problem?

It will start after hitting starter button several times without rocking the kill switch. This seems to indicate the kill switch isn't the problem.

Do you agree with these assumptions?

I'll be home next week, any new suggestions?

TIA Ian, Iowa
Mine used to do that on many occasions.. reason? Slightly shifted clutch lever, just enough to have clutch switch disconnected. Particularly due to aftermarket levers and slightly bigger than minimal gap when adjusting clutch cable good luck.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Probably just need to clean the switch. The relay you installed long ago keeps the contacts from burning, but the dirt still builds up over time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How old is your battery? If OEM, it's at least 5+ years old. You sure there isn't a voltage/amperage problem with it? Check voltage between terminals, then check V-drop when starting.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Having the relays fitted was a good move and that has made the start button less likely but it may not rule it out.

The clutch switch is another weak point, you can join the 2 wires at the clutch switch to bypass it, if your bike starts every time with the bypass in place then the clutch switch is the problem.

You can't leave the bypass in place as you bike may stall when you stop, so bypass it for a few days only.

Aftermarket clutch leavers can cause problems not meeting the switch every time.

If it's not the clutch switch then we are back to the headlight switch or the big plug above the radiator on the left side of bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts