StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 DL1000 and have enjoyed it since June'05. Just today, I'm having to crank it 3-4 times before it'll turn over. Any suggestions? I have plenty gas in it and the kick stand is up.

·
Registered
360 Posts
By turn over, I assume you mean actually starting.

I would start with the simple things, like new gas or fuel treatment, checking plugs, cleaning the air filter, idle speed, tighten battery connectors, etc.

Do you have any more info on when the problem started, how many miles on the bike, happens hot or cold, etc.?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hard start

I may be saying something you already know, but just in case....

Like a fuel-injected car, don't touch the throttle when starting. The computer "brain" will (should!) take care of everything. If you are giving it any throttle at startup, that may cause problems.

Good luck.

VStrommer263

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard Starting DL

I went by the dealership and they told me that the pump in the gas tank must stay lubricated, so I put a full tank of gas in, cleaned my air filter, checked all my connections, went out this morning and hit the starter without giving it any throttle and it fired up immediately!

Thanks to VStrommer263 and TomG... you both saved the day!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dealers sure have some funny ideas.

I hadn't thought about the throttle. It's a natural thing to give it a twist if you're used to carbureted bikes.

Anyhow, glad you're starting up with no probs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad you're "fixed". Sometimes it's the simplest thing to fix, and sometimes...... not.

Safe riding to you.

Vstrommer263

1 - 6 of 6 Posts