StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so come to a stop and put it in gear and let out the clutch slooowly with a wee bit of gas, no go! 1st,2nd and third work fine. I'm trying to remember if my ZRX1200 had this problem too, anybody have one?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You're kidding right? Late April fools joke?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've tried to launch in 3rd before, only because I forgot to downshift, but why would anybody try to do that on purpose?:?:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I've tried to launch in 3rd before, only because I forgot to downshift, but why would anybody try to do that on purpose?:?:
Where's your sense of adventure and scientific discovery?

·
Registered
797 Posts
fatalerror, I would like you to become my new best friend ;)

Seriously, though, are you just trying to see if you CAN launch it in 4th gear? I mean, you may be able to... try pointing the bike downhill and bringing it up in revs... a little push might help too. Just trying to be helpful ;)

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
easily fixed

A slight modification (96 tooth rear sprocket) will solve your problem nicely. of course, top speed will drop to about 40, but that's a different problem. As an added benefit, you'll find that the rear sprocket lasts much longer, and bumper-to-bumper traffic is no longer a challenge, as the bike will idle along nicely in first at 1 or 2 mph, allowing you to creep with the best of them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ongoing salvo

I once had a vstrom 1000 and if I tried to start up in second gear (by accident) it would go a couple feet and then buck like a bronco ( or a kid tied to the swingset) and try to throw me over the bars. So now when I buy a bike I always try to start up in second gear, well the wee did it too easily, so I tried third (successfully) etc. While I wouldn't make a habit of it, it is good to know your limits( I always seem to find them one way or another anyway). It was a fun exercise and a tribute to low end torque and really good gearing. I love the big strom too it is just geared a lot taller and starts to make usable torque higher in the rev band. I'll bet the bandit could do fourth gear starts.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
The trick to launching in 4th gear is to be sure to rev it to redline and then dump the clutch like an exwife. Assuming you can hold on to the bars, you should be on your way. :p

Let me know if it works. :D

SS

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
:idea1:
Tip for launching in forth gear.

1. Pull in clutch
2. Toe down gear shift three gears
3. Take off smoothly in first

Gears are there for a reason use them. It will help everything you do. If you make a habit of this you will get run over by a cage when you should have been in first so that you could get out of the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts