StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about the new Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200. Has a lot of farkles from the factory, cruise control, etc. 950 watt automotive style alternator, puts out power on demand, instead of constant with the extra turned into heat. 135 horsepower, goes like stink, gets good gas mileage.
Someone:biggrinjester: talk me out of it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Can't. I want one too. Then again, the new Trophy looks enticing too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Launch Model

There is a dealer in Colorado who has a launch model of the Explorer, still on the showroom. Includes hand guards, fog lights, belly pan, taller screen, probably some other things I have forgotten. But on my last trip the Vee returned 50 miles per gallon and didn't skip a beat. And the Vee is lighter than the Explorer. Still want it though.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I have been thinking about the new Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200. Has a lot of farkles from the factory, cruise control, etc. 950 watt automotive style alternator, puts out power on demand, instead of constant with the extra turned into heat. 135 horsepower, goes like stink, gets good gas mileage.
It's a reasonable middle weight sport touring bike, albeit compromised by it's "Adventure" pretensions and shaft drive. If that's what you want, have at it. :)
Personally I'd much prefer the Sprint.

On the gas mileage, the UK numbers I've seen are in Imperial gallons and when translated to US gallons aren't good at all, IMO.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sorry Denase, I can't talk you out of it either.

I'm just waiting for the "RT" version that is supposed to come out late this year. :thumbup:

When that happens, I'll have to make a choice between the two. Either way the FJR is probably leaving, and I'll have a Triumph and a Wee.

Perfect combo ... I think.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can't talk you out of it either. Dang, that's a nice looking machine with, seemingly, almost all the toys already.

It's one bike I will have to look at when it becomes more available...:beatnik:

·
Registered
524 Posts
I too like the looks of the Triumph - both the big boy and the little 800s ... The 800s are pushing 90hp ... so that aint bad. As to the Tenere .... I'll never own another Yamaha until I hear that they've stopped using cheap components/metal ... :thumbdown:

Gas mileage - I tend to forget about it if the grin factor is big enough :mrgreen:

But my Wee is a very great bike. I thought about selling it two weeks ago to change to something new. But I can't do it yet.

Maybe if Zuki comes up with a restyled Vee (just like the '12 Wee), then I'll move up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A very limited dealer network across the USA & they seem to bastardize the parts so you have to go back to Triumph even for a common part such as a headlight etc. The last time I looked into a Triumph they required a special syn oil etc. IMHO they might just have too much character, I know my local dealer use to be a franchise with them, they came in and made unreasonable demands about how much he stocked and he told them to take their bikes and leave.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a Triumph Trophy previously, and i can confirm that replacing parts can be difficult. I had to replace a turn signal (I dropped it ::doh::) and it took 3 weeks because it had to ship from england. The part wasn't expensive...like $15...but shipping was $45...

That being said...my trophy was a BEAST and incredibly fun to gun it. As big as it was...it still would out run most sport bikes next to me (even with a passenger on the back). Very nice bike. I imagine this Tiger's 1200 will come with a similar experience.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A very limited dealer network across the USA & they seem to bastardize the parts so you have to go back to Triumph even for a common part such as a headlight etc. The last time I looked into a Triumph they required a special syn oil etc. IMHO they might just have too much character, I know my local dealer use to be a franchise with them, they came in and made unreasonable demands about how much he stocked and he told them to take their bikes and leave.
Agreed. I had a Triumph Rocket III and trying to get service was a bear. Mostly due to the sparse dealer network and limited aftermarket. If it wasn't for that, I'd still have a Triumph.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep, I saw one in the showroom and the 15k sticker stopped me dead in my tracks.:jawdrop:

If i'm gonna even come close to spending that kind of bank it'll be on a 990adv.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
ride/rode with someone with a 800

Vee had no problem reeling him in anywhere

Thank the Federal Reserve for your new bike prices quantitative easing means deliberate inflation

·
Registered
28 Posts
Think twice....

I spent about 2 hours test riding the Tiger 800. Amazing motor, slick shifting transmission, stable and planted cornering AND $17k OTD with options. :thumbdown: Great bike, but not worth the $$$$$ and will depreciate quickly so I bought a used VStrom.

The Explorer must be about $21k OTD with similar upgrades, heavier, built more for the street, and IMO looks like a silver transformer. I would also read the reviews about the bike. New models always have some teething problems and Triumph has not yet figured out US parts distribution. There are some great 135hp street bikes to choose from for way less money. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I had a Triumph Trophy previously, and i can confirm that replacing parts can be difficult. I had to replace a turn signal (I dropped it ::doh::) and it took 3 weeks because it had to ship from england. The part wasn't expensive...like $15...but shipping was $45...
I did a little informal survey - Greater Toronto area and north to where I am, there are more Ducati/Triumph/Guzzi/Piaggio/KTM/MV Agusta dealers then any of the big 4 Japanese. From home it's twice as far to a Suzuki dealer than it is to two KTM dealers and two Triumph dealers. I'd like to feel particularly blessed about the situation, except I really don't have the dough to enjoy it ;)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
AND $17k OTD with options.
They must have gone way up then, because a guy where I live bought the XC all kitted up from Triumph with all the goodies (not sure about the panniers; can't remember) when they were first available and he told me it was mid-thirteens as I recall. Still too much for me, but that's another story.

My local dealer had (maybe still) an Explorer and I thought I saw the ticket at $15,400. On second thought, the retail is $15,700 so it could have been $16,400.

For me the issue is not so much the cost of these new machines (although cost is a part of it), but the complexity and in some cases, the luxury of them. This complexity costs. I personally do not have the budget for one, but I also do not mind the basic build of a bike like the Strom.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The price I quoted for the 800 was my dreambike OTD with all options/luggage, including taxes and prep fees from our local dealer. Admittedly, it was loaded! You can go to the triumph motorcycle website and build any of their bikes with their "create my triumph" software link. I estimated the Explorer 1200 based upon these same prices, basically about $5k to pay for taxes, prep/title fees, and accessories. :jawdrop: These are retail prices as I never actually attempted to make a deal on one. I would rather spend my money on other things even though the motor was magical. Very linear powerband!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Another thing to think about. Touring bikes really should have a Shaft Drive. I agree with that. Lower maintenance, etc. But remember, Triumph's old Trophys had chain drive, so this is new for them. Might want to wait to see how reliable it is.

An Adventure touring bike however...I'm not sure I agree. A chain is pretty easy to replace. I'd hate to be on a trip and my shaft go out (or God forbid) you hit it with something on rough terrain.

There are certainly +s and -s to each.

P.S. I bought my Trophy 1200 with only 4000 miles on it for $3,800. It was a freakin steal. The dealership where i got it from had just received it on trade that morning and hadn't set the price yet. So I got lucky. I drove it for about 6 months, turned around and sold it for $5000.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yep, I saw one in the showroom and the 15k sticker stopped me dead in my tracks.:jawdrop:

If i'm gonna even come close to spending that kind of bank it'll be on a 990adv.

Roger that on the 990 Adventurerob...I like my 6fiddy but my little KTM wants a big orange brother. BUT I just got out from under those high $$$, HIGH maintenance BMWs:thumbdown: and feel so much better knowing I'm have way MORE fun on my low $, low maintenance Wee:thumbup:. I just have a hard time justifying a 990 or anything else as long as this Wee does everything I throw at it:hurray:. Still, a nice shinny new orange bike wouldn't break the bank and you only live once.:confused:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts