StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'02 DL1000
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've had my new-to-me 02 DL1000 for about a month now. Have put about 600 miles on it. Just noticed on a short ride around town that the Tripometers are resetting intermittently/randomly. Since I use these for fuel refilling (don't trust fuel gauge that much), I'd like to figure out the issue.

Doing some searching on here, I found a lot of posts about the clock resetting, and the speedo/tach/cluster failing and resetting on start-up. But my issue is not that.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I seem to remember a very old post that this could be caused by the clutch leaver hit it

But then again I could be thinking of something else.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Or battery. Low voltage when starting can momentarily interrupt the flow of electricity to the instruments.
Would disconnecting the battery reset the trip odo? I thought not. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,152 Posts
I would be looking at the reset button as the culprit. Has the tension gone out of the spring - or has the sun hardened the rubber weather seal that covers the button?
As an experiment cycle the readout to normally read total mileage, and then occasionally look at your Trip A or Trip B. If the reset button is at fault it can only reset a Trip mileage when that Trip mileage is being displayed.
Like you I also use one of the trip meters as my fuel gauge.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Does the clock reset to 12:00 as well? That was my symptom - solved with a new battery.

+1 for using one of the odos for fuel usage. I do the same.

·
Registered
'02 DL1000
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be looking at the reset button as the culprit.
That was my first thought. And I will probably start the troubleshooting flow chart here. :LOL:

Does the clock reset to 12:00 as well?
It does not.

I seem to remember a very old post that this could be caused by the clutch leaver hit it
I may need some help here... the reset button for the tripometer is in the center of the instrument cluster. How would the clutch lever hit it? :unsure:

Or battery. Low voltage when starting can momentarily interrupt the flow of electricity to the instruments.
This issue is not when starting though. It is while riding, and is not a constant. It is very random, varying with time and/or miles. Sometimes will reset a few times in 5 minutes, then it can go for hours without resetting.

I will do some more troubleshooting and post back any solutions I get. Appreciate the roundtable talks to help figure this out!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Has the center dash ever been taken off? If you install the light grey centerpiece wrong, then the rubber coverings over the two buttons might be tight. I can take a pic of how these rubber coverings should be installed. They're ever so slightly raised above the center piece.

It's not the best design anyway. You could also have water seeping through and onto the circuit board. Try a blast of compressed air.

·
Registered
'02 DL1000
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has the center dash ever been taken off? If you install the light grey centerpiece wrong, then the rubber coverings over the two buttons might be tight. I can take a pic of how these rubber coverings should be installed. They're ever so slightly raised above the center piece.
Aha! Now that you mention it, I did just take the windshield, dash, cowl off to install a phone mount.... right before this issue reared its ugly head!

Any help with photos would be much appreciated. This is the first bike I've owned with fairings (coming off purely naked standards), so I was a newb at figuring out the dis-assembly/re-assembly, and probably screwed that up.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Here you go. You'd think that the rubber caps would be inserted from the rear of that centerpiece, but they are not. Also, the rubber caps should not grip the button stem tightly: There is some (about a mm) side-to-side and press/release movement in the rubber caps before you feel you're engaging the button stem.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Plant Alloy wheel

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts