StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi gang.

I had some marks on the triple tree from my keys rubbing. I tried cleaning them off, and chrome cleaner made a difference, but it still had marks on it.

I decided to cover them up with some black reflective 3m Film i had laying around. I got this stuff on ebay very cheap. I think 3 sheets was under $10 including shipping.

So i went down with some paper and traced out the shapes i needed, then cut them out, and kept refining until i had a fairly close cutout. I then plugged it into Corel Draw and made a template. After several revisions, i was able to print them out, trace them onto the Film, and cut them out to stick on the bike. I think the end result is pretty good, not perfect, but it looks a lot better. Cutting the film is best done with an exacto blade, but i just used scissors as i didn't care that much.

Here is how it looks with the flash on it. Reflectivity is a good thing. Anything to make us more visible.

I uploaded the .pdf file here if anyone is interested in doing theirs the same way. Just print it out, cut out the shapes, and see if it fits on your bike. I have a DL1K-4 and don't know if the Wee is the same, or it changes with different years, but have a look.

http://freepdfhosting.com/7a7b51bb53.pdf

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks for sharing BugMagnet. I happen to have some vinyl left over from my tank graphics. I printed out your template and I'll be cutting the vinyl and putting it on this week. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Looks good:thumbup:
But I hope your bike is never at the angle you need reflective there to be seen:yikes:
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good:thumbup:
But I hope your bike is never at the angle you need reflective there to be seen:yikes:
Mike
Haha yea. I read that it's a good idea to put reflective decals on the bottom of your bike in case you crash off in the bushes one day. Guess it makes sense to have it on top as well.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Check with a local sign shop and see if you can get some scrap that is too small for them to use on a job but big enough for this.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are nicely done. Laser cut too. Hard to beat that.

I did this myself as i already had some vinyl film laying around, and i needed something bike related to do over a winter weekend. :)

Besides, with the pattern, people can choose the color they want, not limited to black or plaid.

I see from his post that the Wee pattern is not the same as the Vee. My pattern is for the Vee. Be sure to print it out, cut out the pattern, and test it on your bike before you cut your vinyl. Just in case your own triple tree doesn't match my 2004 exactly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts