StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I are heading down to Deals Gap towards the end of September and I'm looking for suggestions on a route to take from MA. Even just things we shouldn't miss along the way... We plan on hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway for at least part of the trip, but other then that we have no plan.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
A buddy and I are heading down to Deals Gap towards the end of September and I'm looking for suggestions on a route to take from MA. Even just things we shouldn't miss along the way... We plan on hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway for at least part of the trip, but other then that we have no plan.

Thanks in advance :)
Here are some nice roads:

Rt. 221 between Blowing Rock & Grandfather Mountain NC,

Rt. 181 between Morganton & Pineola NC,

Short Video on Rt. 181:

Rt. 226A between Marion and Little Switzerland NC

Rt. 80 between Marion and Mount Mitchell NC.

Each one of these roads cross the BRP and are easy
to put in route to the Dragon. There are many nice
twistys & sweepers close to the BRP! My favorite
paved road is Rt. 181, lots of sweepers with smooth
wide pavement :thumbup:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Be sure to stop at Willville campground in Meadows of Dan Rt 58 2 mi off of Parkway. I would take most of the way down the Parkway. If the going gets too slow or boring then get off and take some interstate. But I would start with the assumption you want to take the Parkway almost all the way.
THe Blue ridge Parkway is great but a bit slower. Don't miss driving up Grandfather Mt outside of BLowing Rock. Drop me a PM if you need more specific info. I'm just outside of ROanoke VA 4 mi off Parkway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks guys! We are going to sit down this weekend and start hammering out the plan. At first we had dreams of taking all rural routes down, but we only have 9 days and would like to spend at least 2 days in the Deals Gap area. So unless we spend 500 miles a day in the saddle it looks like a couple days of tarmac riding up north... Which is a fair payment for the riding we will see from Front Royal, VA South :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
When we head down we generally blast out the 500+ miles the first day by taking 84 & 81 to Winchester, VA. If you don't mind the slower pace you can jump on Skyline Drive or 340 is kind of in between the slow and fast roads.
I would pick up The Blue Ridge right at the beginning in Waynesboro and follow it to the end. As mentioned, we camped at Meadows of Dan the second night and then stayed in Waynesville, NC the next night.

The Skyline has a LOT of deer but not so many on the Blue Ridge cuz they allow hunting on the private land that abuts it. Speed limit is 35 I think on the Skyline and 45 on the Blue Ridge. Don't plan on going much faster. Slow down if you see a white vehicle cuz that's what the LEO's use.
HTH

·
Registered
127 Posts
When you work the route out, if additional info is needed
for Morganton, Pineola, Linville Falls, Marion, Blowing Rock,
and BRP areas, send a PM and I can give additional info.
The Dragon is a great road and there are many great roads
on the way to Robbinsville. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts