Strom Trooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine and I bought a couple of Wees about a year and a half ago. Up until that time I've only spent time on dirt bikes while he has been riding street bikes but no long trips. We decided to make a trip to Colorado from Oklahoma which was our first long ride.

Our bikes are pretty much setup the same. Givi AF3101, highway pegs, throttle lock and some basic, cheap luggage.

We were trying to find that good balance of weather where it would be warm enough in Colorado but not searing heat of an Oklahoma summer. We got lucky as our all time monthly rainfall spell ended shortly before we left.

Not much to report on day one. I-44 to I-40 to make some time but being stuck behind trucks the entire time grew old quickly and hit the two-lane at Elk City. Temperature got pretty warm by mid-day and the stock seat quit being my friend.

As we headed north out of Clayton, NM, the clouds got dark quickly and we were really too far from anything to find shelter or go back. A quick stop on a side road to put rain gear on and into my first ride in the rain. Really windy and lot's of lightning but I have to say it felt better than the heat. Windshield did a great job of keeping hard rain off the visor.

Heading out. Wife was kind enough to get up at 6:30 for a picture.

Thanks John Deere for letting us borrow some shade. Lying on concrete felt pretty good after some time in the saddle.

Mt. Capulin volcano. Nice change of scenery.

That's about it for day one. Made it to Trinidad, CO after about 530 miles. Quite a feat for us rookies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 2

Day 2 was much more fun. Left Trinidad and headed north on I-25 with no traffic, clear skies and mountains to the left. Did I mention how awesome it is to have BT intercom in helmet so I could listen to music?

Went north to Colorado City then cut through (I think) Hwy 165 through San Isabel forest. So nice to ride through the mountains.

Beginning of Hwy 165.

Bishop Castle. So this was built by one guy. Quite a feat but he definitely has some strong opinions of the govt.

I walked out onto this dead-end walkway in the sky and as it shook around me I realized that the guy that built this is probably not an engineer and for once though OSHA might be a good thing.

From the top (or as high as I would go). Notice the cross shaped concrete blocks as only safety railing.

Made our way to Pike's Peak. Plenty of snow and wonderful weather. Could only go to 13K feet as it was closed to the top. Of course we talked to some Harley riders later that day and found out they opened it all the way shortly after we left.

Nice snow drifts

Garden of the Gods

That's it for day two. Spent the night at Manintou Springs. A couple of Harley riders were staying in the room next to ours. Hung out and had dinner with them. Funny thing was one of them ran loud pipes. Said the noise didn't bother them. One guy had hearing aids and you had to repeat everything to the other guy because he was hard hearing. Nice guys though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 3

As far as riding goes, by far the best day. Going south out of Woodland Park through Cripple Creek then in the middle of nowhere through some great curvy and hilly roads. Watch out for the cattle roaming across the road.

Helen Hunt Falls

Cripple Creek

Middle of Nowhere. As I was watching the buzzards circle, a local comes whipping in with his Subaru saying how awesome it is to see the eagles flying overhead. Embarrassed that I couldn't tell the difference I agreed and went on about my business. I still think they were buzzards.

Another quick leg stretch on the way to the Great Sand Dunes with nothing around but good scenery.

Most water I've ever seen at the base of the Dunes. Was like a beach. (That's not us in picture if you couldn't already guess).

That was it for day 3. Great ride. We did make the incredibly rough washboard ride up the road to Zapata Falls but upon arriving had nothing left for the 1/2 mile hike. Spent the night in Alamosa, CO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 4

Last really good day of riding.

La Veta Pass on Hwy 160.

Highway of Legends (Hwy 12)

I think this is where I picked up that nice screw I found in my tire after getting home. Saw a bunch on the ground as I pulled out and thought I missed them all. Didn't leak though.

Spent the night in Guymon, OK after a boring and windy ride out of Trinidad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 5

Pretty much sucked. South wind blowing about 30mph, hot and humid. This it the time that I always question why I live in Oklahoma. I fantasized about my car that last three or so hours.

Back at home and 1750 miles later. Here's what I think after the trip. Incredibly glad we took it. We discussed hauling the bikes out there but wanted to make the entire trip on a bike at least once.

V-Stroms are great bikes. While it may not be the best highway cruiser it did very well and can do pretty much anything you need it to. Would get an aftermarket seat if I had to do it again but that's the only bike change I would make. BT Intercom was best $53 bucks I ever spent.

Next time I would haul the bikes out. Not so much I can't make the trip on a bike but trying to find a good balance of weather is tough. I can't enjoy riding when it's really hot and with the unpredictable rain in spring-time Oklahoma you worry too much about what "might" happen. I also think we could get more quality time on the bike since we could cover more miles in a day. Would consider finding a nice campground and setting up camp and riding out a different direction each day.

Was a great experience.

·
2015 DL650
109 Posts
Awesome ride report. Thanks for sharing, the pictures are wonderful. Hope you have many more adventures in your future.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
Great ride report. Considering that was your first real trip, a GREAT ride report! If you get a chance again, go on over to the Million Dollar Highway. That is a MUST ride area!

You have heard that the destination isn't as important as the journey. I often take long trips and know the meaning of that. You learned a great deal on this trip that will make other trips a lot more comfortable. Yes heat is a problem. But with the right mesh gear and an evaporative vest you will find you don't get that too hot, I am going to sleep feeling. Buy some really good rain gear and keep it with you at all times. Learn what works. Riding in rain is not always a bad thing. I do it often and don't think twice about it. Getting the bike dirty is my only regret in rain! Good aftermarket seats and windshields make ALL the difference. I get wanting to truck the bikes out there. With two or more riders that can work and I would do it to. It cuts cost and time considerably. But I can tell you that there are times when in the middle of nowhere I wouldn't trade being on the bike.....

·
Registered
894 Posts
I particularly enjoyed the part about the "eagles". The guy in the Subaru probably had a good laugh with his buddies as he told them he convinced a couple Okies that a group of buzzards were eagles. It was nice of you to go along with his story ;)

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Buzzards are Black with White tips on the wings and show individual feathers spread. Eagles look a bit more elegant as they soar.
Great Pics! Colorado is a fun place to tour. I like the Castle with the dragon head stove outlet. It wasn't open to touring when I ran by it.
What a character the builder is.
Didja stop by the Royal Gouge to see the bridge? The KOA nearby was pleasant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts