Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
66 Posts
I lived in South East Alaska for the last twenty years. It is a very large state with varied climate zones. For the trip up via the Al-Can I suggest late May or early June. There will be years that you will not see good weather but for SE Alaska the more stabile weather is then. The interior can be good through August but SE Alaska is well into Fall with horizontal rain in August. If you want to tour for a month and see a lot of the State, June into July. I know a lot of people will chime in with their experiences, but based on a twenty year average, that is my suggestion.

P.S. If you are thinking of riding one way and ferrying the other, make your reservations early and try to get a cabin reserved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking to head up that way in 2016 from Arizona. I was wanting to take the ferry back. How early should i book the ferry?
Also any info on going up to Prudhoe Bay.

66 Posts
For a cabin reservation and booking space for the bike, book early in January of the year you want to travel. When you get closer to your dates send me a pm with a phone number. I can't help you with much experience in Prudhoe Bay but I have done parts of the haul road on hunting trips. Alaska is 2.5 times the size of Texas, so don't cut yourself too short on time.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
No reservation needed for the Alaskan Ferry. They'll practically always have room for a motorcycle. Free camping on the heated solarium top deck... I don't know if their cabins sell out, maybe reservations needed if you go that route.
Time of year... maybe August? Or January if you have studs, heated gear, and a big spare gas can. Browse the other threads here and in General Discussion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts