StromTrooper banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You could spend a great vacation just riding around Utah. The advice on elevation is spot on. Last June Glacier National Park's road was still snowed in mid-June when I left the Cache Gathering in Gardiner MT so I took 191 south through Wyoming to western Utah and it was a great ride. Flaming Gorge, Moab, Moki Dugway, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley. Mapping good roads was easy with a set of Butler Maps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
After a very quick look and not reading everything, stay off the interstates. There are so many amazing roads through there, the interstates are horrible riding.

Consider checking out the butler maps site for some good routes and amazing motorcycle maps, they have lots of maps for those regions and they list all the best rides.

Also on the butler maps there are the backcountry discovery routes, these are mostly off pavement, and are varying levels of difficulty, but mostly fairly easily doable on a strom.

Check out the continental divide route.

my #1 recommendation is DO NOT MISS LOLO PASS!!!! If you are into hotels, you can stay at the lodge at the top, it's very cool.

LOLO Pass sign:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks @vanislejay . That looks like my kind of road. Might do it on the Strom and go back for a second time on the Vespa! And I'm almost allergic to Interstates. I-5 from Vancouver to Seattle is a trial even in a car. They are marvels of engineering certainly, but not my bag on the bike.

I think I can get some of the Butler maps with my Rever subscription, but I'm partial to Scenic on the iPhone for the most part. I've tried Kurviger and Furkot as well, but nothing really seems ideal. That said, when I'm on the bike I have to ride with reading glasses on or else pull over and get out the specs and squint a lot. And I really do like paper maps (old fart).

Nonetheless, the trip plans and advice I've found and received here have been wonderful.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This has been a fun thread to read as I have only been on a two-day trip of @ 632 total miles (most of the Cascade Loop in WA, and I spent the night in Winthrop), and I can't wait to go on a multi-day trip like you are planning, Damon. My suggestion, if it hasn't already been clearly verbalized, is that you look at this shorter trip as a "test run" for a longer trip. This short trip will give you an opportunity to see if you under packed, over-packed, what gear works for you and what doesn't, etc. So, it might be a good thing that you will start out with a shorter trip. Have fun planning, but don't overthink it (I even overthink my orders at fast food drive-throughs), because this first trip does not have to be perfect, but it will help you pack/plan for your future trips. Wishing you a great trip whenever you do go! I know we are all eager for life to get back to normal. And thank you for letting me hijack your thread with my Cascade Loop map! Ack.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
If you don't cut out Devils Tower you can go to Spearfish Canyon, Mount Rushmore, and Custer State Park. The Black Hills look like a great place to ride bike. I've only been there in a car and wished I had the bike.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm big on heated gear.
There are a couple of smart phone apps that I carry for trips. Two of them I have never had to use.
The two I haven't had to use (yet) are the mobile apps for UPS and FedEx. With those you can create a pick-up ticket and pay for the shipping on your phone. So you can order a part, have it picked up at that bike shop a hundred miles away and have the part sent to you overnight to that motel you are stranded at.

The other one is 15804 Motorcycle Rides and Motorcycle Roads One of the great features is "Find Biker Roads Near Me".

·
Registered
21 Posts
damon,

yep, blm is bureau of land management, & crow refers to the native american group whose reservation is just outside of custer national forest (forest service, fs)....

link to custer national forest:

a bit of info on vision quests:

and, the crooked crk rd is thru a scenic pine forest w/ precipitous drop-offs - you get up-close-personal views of the canyon.... but don't do this rd after/during a rain/snow - some parts (always on curves it seemed) sit on the spearfish formation, a slipperier-than-snot clay/silt....

cheers,

·
Registered
760 Posts
Thanks @vanislejay . That looks like my kind of road. Might do it on the Strom and go back for a second time on the Vespa! And I'm almost allergic to Interstates. I-5 from Vancouver to Seattle is a trial even in a car. They are marvels of engineering certainly, but not my bag on the bike.

I think I can get some of the Butler maps with my Rever subscription, but I'm partial to Scenic on the iPhone for the most part. I've tried Kurviger and Furkot as well, but nothing really seems ideal. That said, when I'm on the bike I have to ride with reading glasses on or else pull over and get out the specs and squint a lot. And I really do like paper maps (old fart).

Nonetheless, the trip plans and advice I've found and received here have been wonderful.
Butler makes paper maps as well as the gpx tracks and I love their paper maps a lot. I prefer to plan on paper and then load up my GPS with the tracks I make, or create a bit of a road book and try to navigate with mileage, trip meter and hand written turn instructions. I used to have a tank bag with a map pocket that was great but I couldn't stand on the strom with it so I don't use it anymore. I haven't found the perfect all around nav solution for me yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wonder I'd you'll be able to find a place to eat along the way this spring. Damn SARS- Cov-2!

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
I'd imagine a lot of travels will be altered while the world works it's way through the current medical phenomenon.
Best of luck if you keep to your schedule. The traffic will be lighter, the gas cheaper and the crowds smaller. A lot of the sights, Nat'l Parks etc, will probably be closed though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yep, this season's riding is looking more and more sketchy. As much as I hope the situation will be better in six or eight weeks, it depends on so many variables. A disease like is sort of like a fire; you have to put it out completely, or it will flare up and burn down the next house/ block/ forest. Until it really is under control, amenities and access will be very limited.

I like the trip planning, and optimistically, I keep thinking about stuff to buy for the bike for the trip, and sometimes I yield and buy things anyway. But I am also now trying to be patient and realistic about what travel will be possible. If I can do Washington & Oregon in August, or early Sept, I'll look to that. Otherwise some other trips here in western Canada. BC seems to be managing things fairly well, so I hope we can all salvage some motorcycle travel this year.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Build up your trip skills and riding stamina with longer out and backs and loops. You've got a lifetime worth of riding in your area

·
Registered
14,504 Posts
"I keep thinking about stuff to buy for the bike for the trip, "

Yeah, if I get some of the Covid19 handout money there is a helmet I've been looking at. But the Store is closed. What's a feller to do? It's an X-small size so I'd rather not order it on line and then have it not fit and play return games.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Build up your trip skills and riding stamina with longer out and backs and loops. You've got a lifetime worth of riding in your area
I think you are correct. There are plenty of roads that are worth riding between here and Alberta. I have the Destination Highways series of books and maps, and that gives lots of roads to try. The trick is getting out of Vancouver, so I will start with longer day trips and then add a few days at a time.

I'm also in touch with a few folks at ADV who are in and around my area, as I'm hoping to do back road/ off road stuff and I don't want to do it alone. The Highline trail / road, above Anderson Lake, through to Lillooet, for example.

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
Well the very first road you take should be 99 out of Vancouver - one of the best rides EVAH ....ANYWHERE!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts