StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I rode down to Machias to spend a little time at the Maine Wild Blueberry Festival. Afterwards, I headed Downeast to Lubec, and crossed the bridge on to Campobello Island. I spent the night camping at Herring Cove Provicial Park. Today, I spent some time exploring the island, (Wilson's Beach, Welsh Pool, Liberty Point, and the Roosevelt Cottage), then returned to MDI. I met tmcgee in Bar Harbor this evening. He is headed off to Nova Scotia tomorrow to his "Salty Fog Rally" group ride.

EDIT 08-24-2010

Here are a few photos from this trip.

Part of the beach area at Herring Cove.

I pitched my tent down at the water sites. There are only pit toilets there. I had site #79.

Head Harbour Light. I enjoyed watching three finback whales take their morning constitution and breakfast swim. The night before, a tour boat struck a whale. The boat sank. The survivors were pulled from the water.

Some abandoned fishing boats.

Looking out from the Western Observation Deck at Liberty Point.

The Roosevelt summer cottage.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can't post photos to my last two trips until my computer issues are diagnosed and repaired. I should know about my system tomorrow. In the meantime, I am working off of a borrowed laptop. I have "black screened" several times while trying "adjust and resize" photos from my trips. It took me 5 tries just a moment ago to get the laptop back up and running. It's not mine........ I cannot afford to fix it along with mine as well.

I am on hold for a bit.

However, I do have some upcoming plans for a couple of trips. Labor Day Weekend, I may try to complete my trip out to Natasquan, QC, (ride RT 138 all the way to the end.). And, I am also shooting for the third week in September to take a 7 to 10 day trip somewhere. I need to use some saved up vacation time.

B.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Durn, Barry, I'm headed on that exact same route next weekend. You really have to work on your timing. ;)
We're staying in Winter Harbor so wont be camping in the Prov. Park. I'll beep as I pass your Island.
chris in norwood

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Durn, Barry, I'm headed on that exact same route next weekend. You really have to work on your timing. ;)
We're staying in Winter Harbor so wont be camping in the Prov. Park. I'll beep as I pass your Island.
chris in norwood
Chirs,
I sent you a PM with my phone numbers. Give me a call if you have some fee time.

B.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added photos to the original post.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oddly we just missed each other.

I took my wife, step brother and son (on 3 stroms) along with my Dad and step mother on a 9 day trip (8/14-22). We went up to the Saguanay Fjord, then crossed over to Matane, and up the coast to Forillon, Peirce, and then accross the Hopewell rocks. On the 21st we headed down and took the Dear Island, then Campobello ferries and visited the same "cottage" that you did.

Oddly we planned to stay in Machias, but the blueberry festival left little room for our tents. We ended up staying about 20 miles South just of Rt 1.

Everything went fairly well for us, thanks in no small part, to areas that you showed me a few years back. I should have listened a little better about where to day on the Fjord because I didn't realize there are lots of Provençal campgrounds on the banks.

I can however add a few new campground options that worked out really well for us: Mont St. Pierre Municipal campground is really nice. And a private campground called Ponderosa Pines Family Campground that abuts Hopewell rocks, was really nicely done. If you haven't gone yet Hopewell Rocks was worth the trip.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I took my wife, step brother and son (on 3 stroms) along with my Dad and step mother on a 9 day trip (8/14-22).
Was it you guys I passed on Sunday, the 22nd, about 1PM? I was headed east near Augusta on Rte. 3 (maybe 10 miles from the turnpike).

The third Strom was red, but I didn't catch the colors of the other two. I got at least one wave out of the group.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes that was my step brother Gary on the Blue strom followed by Anne and I on Red Stroms.

We actually saw a number of Stroms on our trip. I always wave, but I'm not sure about Gary (who was leading during a few days of the trip when we stayed on one road).

I didn't recognize you. I did see a number of Stroms traveling with other Sport touring bikes and even a cruiser with one group.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I didn't recognize you.
No surprise there. Different helmet, jacket, luggage, and I was in traffic. It felt a lot better when I got around it. :mrgreen:

I did have the feeling I knew who you were.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was on the same Island last week and have all the same pics as BlackLab, but here's a couple more...

Same abandoned boats-

Gravel road on the east side of the Island-

Very polite Canadian warning plaque-

The ferry to Deer Island-

The ride to Deer Island-

Lobster Pound on Deer Island-

I've decided that my next trip to Nova Scotia is going to include the ferries in/around Campobello and Deer Isles. Tres cool.
Chris in Boston

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I need to use some saved up vacation time.
Can someone please explainify this concept to me?

On the other hand, my wife's Harley saw a Travel Channel program on New England and it wants to go there next summer.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Also, about the thread title; it's usually safer to skip trip #13.
Sometimes you can just call it trip #12.9 and be a-okay.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone please explainify this concept to me?

On the other hand, my wife's Harley saw a Travel Channel program on New England and it wants to go there next summer.
New company policy, you can't carry over more then 80hrs to the next calendar year. If you have 95hrs of PTO, you will lose 15hrs when Jan 1st turns on the calendar.

I had to lower my threshold a little bit. As of today, I have 56.64 hrs coming into the New Year. Setting myself up for a family trip in June and a motorcycle trip in August of 2011. By then, I should be good to go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts