StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an almost live post. I am resting my tired butt on a rickety sawhorse, in the grassy section of the parking lot of the Huronia Airport. Thanks to modern technology, (and footloose's iPad!), I am able to communicate the fact that I rode 759 miles today. Footloose, kayakman, and I are all setup with our tents for the night, and we are all ready for the excitement of the flyin tomorrow!

(tmcgee, please pass the word on to my contacts that all is good!)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
We are enjoying a pre-breakfast, before the flyin breakfast, at the local Timmie's.

Do you have a cottage in this area, WEE4MEE?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Black Lab in Midland??

Damn! I'd like to meet the craftsman, hear about his travels, his kayaks, and see that bike!

How long are you staying at the fly in? in Ontario?
My guess is that he'll be there all day and he's headed home to Maine early tomorrow.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My guess is that he'll be there all day and he's headed home to Maine early tomorrow.
Yes, that is the plan. I will leave early in the morning, head up through Algonquin Park, then cross into Quebec, through Montreal, and probably spend the night in Magog, before heading back to Maine.

I hope to post photos of today a little bit later.

B.L.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It's true. He's here.

As for the bike, it's not so much the look of it as the mix of textures ;)

We had a good chat. The fly-in was about over as the weather was turning. The vintage motorcycle meet apparently had one bike. Barry is set up in his tent in the most mosquitoey spot he could find.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's true. He's here.

As for the bike, it's not so much the look of it as the mix of textures ;)

We had a good chat. The fly-in was about over as the weather was turning. The vintage motorcycle meet apparently had one bike. Barry is set up in his tent in the most mosquitoey spot he could find.
This is too funny right now! Kayakman, footloose and I are sitting inside the airport terminal right now, enjoying each other's company and munching on slices of carrot cake that footloose brought along.

footloose is sitting across a table from me, pounding away on her iPad, while I am pounding away on my netbook. We are racing each other to see who can make a post faster......

It was kind of a tie, but we both posted to the wrong thread!!! I have been blamed for the mistake and also accused of cheating.

That can't be, everyone knows that American's don't cheat........

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hey Don! Sorry we missed meeting you too! Barry didn't realize we were just inside the terminal doing some reading. If you get totally bored tonight, drop on back.
Can we tempt you with some carrot loaf?:mrgreen:

Ps...Barry says to tell you he was a bone head for not realizing we were indoors. :biggrinjester:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I left Midland at 7:10am this morning. It has been a bit of a slog thru fog and rain up to Huntsville, Ontario. I am in a McDonalds right now having a little breakfast, warming up, and regrouping..... I am headed across Rt 60 thru Algonquin Provincial park, and on to Barry's Bay. Why not, right?

I hope to be spending the night south of Montreal tonight, which sets me up for a nice ride home on Monday. To do this, I have my work cut out for me!

B.L.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
VTom rode up to join Barry, Doug and I at Huronia Airport last night. It was great to see you again Tom! He hadn't met Barry before so introductions were made and he properly admired the Frankenstrom. Then he pitched his tent with all of ours as we waited for our pizza to be delivered.

The mosquitos were out in full force as we headed into the airport terminal to enjoy our pizza and trade riding and flying stories. Yes folks, we were really roughing it in the wilds of Ontario!
When planning the fly-in, the organizers had arranged for one of them to stay overnight at the terminal so that it could remain open for the anticipated pilot campers to be able to use the washrooms etc. But because of the weather, there were NO pilots camping with their planes, only US, the motorcyclists!! We were very appreciative of Gary, the RAA member that stayed over and actually tried to urge him to lock up and go home to his family. But he didn't have a key and seemed to not mind joining us for some pizza and lively conversation! :mrgreen:

It certainly was a unique camping experience to pitch our tents in the trees beside the parking lot of a small municipal airport and have a view of the runway and parked aircraft out the door. It was very quiet there, surrounded by woods and the sounds of the whippoorwills at night. :yesnod:

We all packed up and headed our respective directions in the morning. Doug and I rode through the same cold fog and drizzle 240 miles home.

Sorry we missed meeting you KZDon! Next time....
Great to see you again VTom and Black Lab. Hope you've made it home safe Tom.
And hope you are pitched somewhere warm tonight Barry and have a safe ride back to MDI.

Photos to come tomorrow....I'm on dialup here and need to get somewhere else to do them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sorry to have missed you too. I must have walked right by you in the terminal just before I met up with Barry. At some point when I get time to download some pictures, there's one of him barefooting by your bike ;)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leaving Magog, Quebec now and headed for home. I have got some of my favorite dirt roads ahead of me! And rain too!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Home.

1,629 miles covered in three days of riding, (one layover day spent at the airport.).

I have MANY photographs to wade through and some stories to tell. Hopefully, I take the time to "show and tell" them!

Hot shower first, then some food, then some sleep.

A nice, BIG pizza would be good to eat right now!

B.L.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just as I arrived at the airport Friday night. I worked hard for that photo!

iPad...iPad....netbook. I was "odd man out" on this one.

KZDon rode over from his house to say, "Hi". Here he is using his best courtroom drama to convince the judge that the clouds are guilty of depositing rain on us. He is good at it!

V-Tom joined us Saturday night. One very funny, and entertaining man!

From Right to Left: kayakman, (Doug), footloose (Anne-Marie), V-Tom (Tom), and Black Lab (Barry). (V-Tom could crush me with one of those bear paws of his!)

Garry, (That's "Garry with two Rs."), is the RAA member who volunteered to spend the night to keep the place safe from us juvenile vandals. I would have hired KZDon to represent us if necessary. Garry got to pizza before I did..... He had one heck of a long day though!

On my way on Sunday morning. I shot this photo in Algonquin Park. Janice?

I met Stromtrooper member, "Willy13" in the town of, Barry's Bay. He lives in Parry Sound, Ontario and he is on his way to Newfoundland. "Willy" is retired......... And, he had no plan....... And, no time limitations.......... And, I am jealous........

I rode a very long way to take this photograph!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Tom, Doug and Barry discussing whether blue bikes are faster....

Examining the kitplanes at Zenair...

A few of the planes that flew in...

A woman can dream, can't she?

Barry and I talking to Ernie about his Zenith.

The "airmarking" at CYEE, Huronia Airport.

Step away from the helicopter Barry! Build a plane first!

Besides-it's mine!:mrgreen:

Barry's, Doug's and my bikes under the Tundra Swan Sculpture on the habourfront.

Does Reuben know about this?!

Doug packing up to leave.

Now where did he put those gloves?

The famous "on-the-fly mount" and he's off for home.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts