StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I decided to ride through the White Mountains. I got up early, packed up and began my day with "Breakfast With Mindy".

What a way to jump start my day....

Afterwards, I headed up to Friend & Friend to return a couple of bottles of unused coolant, and to sign up for this year's "High Mileage" contest. I am looking for a "Three-Peat".

I took the easy route over to the White Mtns, following Rt 2.

I arrived in Gorham, NH around 1:00pm, fueled up, ate a danish, sent a couple of text messages, then headed south on Rt 16 for Pinkham Notch.

Tonight, I am in Milton Mills, NH at Scott Thurston's house, (But, he is not here right now.....more beer and fat cigars for us). Tom McGee has shown up as well on his bike.

Tomorrow, I will head back to Mount Desert Island. I am not sure what route I will take, but I will say that I am very pleased with how my bike is running! More on this when I get home.

(I am trying to type this post on a netbook,, and I am about to throw it through a window!!!)

B.L.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm thinking about making my 1st trip of the year to the White Mountains today. It will depend on how long it takes to get some errands done this morning.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about making my 1st trip of the year to the White Mountains today. It will depend on how long it takes to get some errands done this morning.
Where are you located in Maine? I live on Mount Desert Island.

Barry B.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live in Gorham, just out side of Portland. You took a picture on my bike last spring when it was at Street Cycles for it's first service. You posted it here & asked who's bike it was, but by the time I noticed & answered it the thread was getting a little old.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
My First Thursday

Hey Barry....Great ride brother! I did my first on Thursday. (On the wee that is):confused:

Rode to Belfast, then down to Rockland, over to Augusta, up to China, then Hampden and home. I did stop by F&F, signed up for the long distance thingy, under protest that no one can beat Barry! Serviced and washed the bike yesterday. I am leaving for SoPaRider's in Chambersburg on Thursday next week. Going to get an early jump on the Civil War History this year:thumbup:

Hope we can manage a ride or two also. Send me an email with your number because for the life of me, I can't find it in my address book.....I know I had it!

Ok brother...Ride safe...No more black ice!

Perry:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Mindy looks great, as always, but it's funny to see her without hearing her. It's the soundtrack that gets me going. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
:headbang:

with the sporatic paychecks I've been getting, I had the opportunity to work this morning and finished some spring house repairs this afternoon, Hope I get a chance to ride tomorrow
Barry and I were thinking of going over and looking for you last night since we weren't far away in Milton Mills.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am back home, and on my desktop computer. I have also eaten a nicely grilled steak, grilled potatoes, and steamed broccoli and mushrooms. I have even treated myself to a glass of merlot wine.........okay, two glasses of merlot wine. I also ate the new, State of Maine "approved" dessert; a "Whoppie Pie".

When the three of us woke up this morning, it was quite "frosty" outside!

The above images are very reminiscent of last November's photos!!! There was frost on my bike, and frost in the road, and I went down!

We wisely waited a bit for the sun to come up a little farther before we headed out to Lino's for breakfast.

A very special person has been very generous to me and has "donated" a VERY nice 15 megapixel camera to my "cause". Today was the first time that I was able to give the "beast" a workout. The rest of the photos in this thread come from this new camera. I have a lot of learning to do as to how to use it(!), and how to edit the huge data files. As to using it, I jumped right in with what I have taught myself with my old camera!

Here are a few shots of tmcgee just ahead of me and, Scud in front of him.

Front left to right: Black Lab, tmcgee, Scud

We ate breakfast this morning at "Lino's" in Sanbornville, NH.

I will post my route at a later date, (Roughly, Rt 117, Rt 133, Rt 156, Rt 140, Rt 43), through Western Maine, but what follows, in chronological order, are some random shots that I took with my new camera. Some of them are my usual "on the fly" shots from the bike. Some of them, I actually stopped, got off of my bike, and attempted to take a photograph. That's unheard of in the history of my trips!!!

Bald Eagle.

This area is a great place for working on your motorcycle. The sign lets you know that this is a "cow area". There are plenty of cow choices to choose from to lean your bike up against to say, install a centerstand.

My obligatory "over the shoulder" shot.

Getting close to home.

My obligatory, "trip end" shot of the ocean around Thompson Island as I come on to Mount Desert Island.

B.L.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my way back to Mount Desert Island, I deliberately chose a route that would pass by my "dream home".

A barn.

A barn where, a few motorcycles could be parked and worked on downstairs; also an airplane could be built, and I could live upstairs. I would add some dormer windows, and maybe a skylight or two.

There is even room out back to build an airstrip..........

I really don't need much, do I?

B.L.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gotta learn to take pix as I ride.
The trick is, learning the very first step.

Step One: Close both eyes........

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great ride report Barry, I'm with you on the dream house "dreams", hope to meet you the next time Karen and I ride up to see Perry and Joy in Ellsworth, this weekend it's our turn to return the hospitality. Stop by the next time your in Jersey. Have a safe ride, drive, voyage or flight!"

Jeff (SoPaRider) and Karen (SoPaGuider)

"Just a tat north of the Mason-Dixon Line!"

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in Gorham, just out side of Portland. You took a picture on my bike last spring when it was at Street Cycles for it's first service. You posted it here & asked who's bike it was, but by the time I noticed & answered it the thread was getting a little old.
Then, this is your bike, right?

I took the above photo on May 7, 2010.

I attended the University of Southern Maine for a year, (I think 1979 to 1980....), and lived on the Gorham campus. I used to work for "Town & Country Cabinets" out Rt 114 north, towards Sebago.

B.L.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey Barry, looks like a great first trip..nice pics with the new camera as well.

I also plan to learn to stop and take more pics this year instead of just on the fly. I always seem to get caught in the moment of riding or wondering whats around the next bend instead of stopping occasionally to enjoy the sights I am passing.

First things first though I need to get home and get my winter maintenance done on the V so I can take her out...

Safe travels.....

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have a Delorme Maine Gazetteer, you can follow along for part of yesterday's trip, (which began in New Hampshire!).

After breakfast in Sanbornville, I rode up Rt 153n to the junction of Rt 110 in Woodman, NH. This would be Map 2, in the upper left hand corner of the page.

I followed Rt 110 east until it turned in to Rt 11 and passed through the town of Newfield, ME.

Turn to Map 4. I followed Rt 11 to the town of Limerick, then picked up Rt 160 and rode through the Parsonsfield towns. The photos of the "school house" looking buildings are of the old seminary that is located in Parsonsfield.

In the town of Porter, I picked up Rt 160/Rt 25 east, and then headed back north on Rt 160 in the town of Kezar Falls.

I followed Rt 160 north through Brownfield and East Brownfield, then picked up Rt 117 in Denmark.

Rt 117 dumped me out on to Rt 302 in Bridgton. I continued on Rt 117....

(......turn to Map 10, the bottom of the page and the town of Harrison.).

........through Harrison, and up to Norway. In hindsight, I REALLY wished I had ridden on Rt 37 through Waterford, then Rt 118 to Norway.

On Map 11, I continued through Norway and South Paris and up to Buckfield on Rt 117.

In Buckfield, I picked up Rt 140n. I followed Rt 140 through East Sumner, Hartford Center, Canton.....

(....turn to Map 19.).

...to the town of Jay, Maine.

In Jay, I rode across the Hyde Road to Stones Corner and picked up Rt 133 north.

I rode Rt 133 through Kennedys Corners, to Beans Corner and the Jct of Rt 156.

I turned east on Rt 156.....

(Turn to map 20)

....and follow Rt 156 through North Chesterville, and to Farmington Falls, where I picked up Rt 2/27.

I arrived at New Sharon at about 11:00am. I fueled up, drank a juice, tried to connect to internet with my netbook to post a photo or two.......no luck!

Instead, I connected with Rt 134 north and rode it up to Rt 43. I stayed on Rt 43 through the towns of Anson and Madison, and also Blackwell Corner, Twelve Corners and Cass Corner.

(In Athens, I picked up Rt 43/Rt 151, but don't bother turning to Map 31. It will bring you right back to map 21 !)

Along this stretch of road is my "dream home" barn. I followed it into Hartland.

In Hartland, I picked up Rt 151 and rode that to Rt 2.

In Newport, (Map 22), I picked up Rt 95 and rode that to Bangor. Then Rt 395 to Rt 1A, and Rt 1A down to Ellsworth, and Rt 3 to Mount Desert Island.

That's about it!

B.L.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Then, this is your bike, right?

I took the above photo on May 7, 2010.

I attended the University of Southern Maine for a year, (I think 1979 to 1980....), and lived on the Gorham campus. I used to work for "Town & Country Cabinets" out Rt 114 north, towards Sebago.

B.L.
That's mine, about 11,000 miles & several farkles ago.

I moved here about 8 years ago from Winthrop which is near Augusta.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts