StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All

I am aware of the WS Sticky. And posted some of this there as well. But thought it might be useful to future searchers to post specific info with a title regarding cutting the OE shield. Thank you.

Recently picked up a new to me 2019 650A. I have had many many Motos over the years and so some experience with what I like as far as Windscreens. I dislike the appearance of a large windscreen and do not like looking through windscreens. So for me and my taste ( and I understand this is a personal thing) It has been my observation that I prefer a shorter screen that provides clean air flow as opposed chasing a large air pocket.

When I took my 650 out on its maiden voyage I took an Allen wrench with. I tried all three settings on the OE screen. While there were some slight differences,
Automotive exterior Bag Motor vehicle Bumper Luggage and bags

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Gauge Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering wheel

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

all three created the worst eyeball shaking turbulence I have ever experienced. So bad that I stopped my ride, removed the windshield and put it in my jacket and went home. I noticed on my ride home that NO screen was better than any of the three positions with the OE screen.

I proceeded to spend the rest of the day cutting / modifying my OE screen. The results have been very positive. Of course there is still wind and air movement, which I prefer as I live in a hot sunny state, but the turbulence is all but gone. For now, still using the OE mirrors. Please see the pics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had great results with cutting the original screen but I cut it shorter than you. I also have Suzuki high seat and I lowered the screen even more with Bruudt screen adjuster. Finally I am at that point when no more mods are needed.

Water Sky Mountain Cloud Plant

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nicely done and looks good. I've done it on past bikes. Put a Givi Air Flow on my2018 and am pleased. Very adjustable and can be above or below line-of-sight.. but more costly than your mod.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All my previous bikes had no to minimal screens. Recently got Strom with nice screen (I forgot the brand). As I am getting old, I realize I do like the touring screen and in fact, I modified it to raise it a bit more - it is quiet sailing at 70mph now. I look at the Strom as a touring bike, it is very comfy for that. Too heavy for me to do off road (may be hard pack dirt roads one day)

I do see your point, I just wanted to share mine (and need more post to be able to use Marketplace forum 😀).

I am curious how you cut the plexiglass so clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts