StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,
Went for a ride to a desert lake(Bartlett Lake in AZ) this morning after installing the RichlandRick fork brace and noticed a marked improvement in stability over the stock set up. Fit and finish were very good, installed easily...very pleased. Had the 650 up to 65 MPH and felt no squishiness in the handling like I did before the install. Quality stuff IMO and being a toolmaker/machinist myself I know what workmanship is. I don't know Rick and have nothing to gain by stating these facts. Nice job dude!:D

·
Registered
666 Posts
+1!

Installed mine a few days go. I find the front end feel improvement actually kind of dramatic.

I have a ton of low quality roads arond my house, cracked pavement, bumps, potholes etc. Over those surfaces, improvement is very noticable.

One of those things that you install and then wonder how the heck did you live without it before? More accurately - why did you?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I installed the Superbrace. Instantly noticeable improvement. I was actually sceptical when I installed it, I thought it was just one of those things that couldn't hurt and might make a little difference. One ride and I knew this thing worked.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Similar experience here. Put on the Richland Rick brace this spring and way more of a difference than I expected. It's been especially nice this summer in prairie crosswinds, the bike holds the line much, much better.

Could be my favorite mod so far.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Fork Brace is a must have on my bike, now add the Ricor Intiminators.
Even better.
Mike

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Similar experience here. Put on the Richland Rick brace this spring and way more of a difference than I expected. It's been especially nice this summer in prairie crosswinds, the bike holds the line much, much better.

Could be my favorite mod so far.
OK, I gotta ask a dumb question: How does a fork brace, regardless of brand, increase stability in a cross-wind? I'm unclear on the mechanics of that....

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
It makes the lower portion of the forks more rigid, without the movement they are more stabile.
From the lower triple clamp to the axle bolt there is really nothing to support the tubes, so fork brace fixes that.
Wish they made a brace for the wifes bike, but design does not allow for it.
Mike

OK, I gotta ask a dumb question: How does a fork brace, regardless of brand, increase stability in a cross-wind? I'm unclear on the mechanics of that....

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I ordered a brace from Richland Rick last week and expect it to arrive today or tomorrow.

I spent Friday and Saturday up in the mountains (Idyllwild area - had to ride around the fire that closed 74 east of Hemet). Getting up there is 100 miles of 80+ mph freeway, rural highway and mountain switchbacks.

Based on what I'm reading here, I can't wait to see the difference when I get the brace on the Vee.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Brace Love

The majority of my riding is a 120 mi. daily commute. All superslab. Central Il. crosswinds and semi airblasts are part of my riding environment. After a couple of scary semi passes, and reading the praises of forkbraces, I went with the Murph's brace. What a difference! the planted feeling with the brace, has increased the level of safety and enjoyment to my ride. I have added a couple differnt farkles, but the one I enjoy the most is the brace. Ride safe, ride often! Dave:mod2_scooter:

·
Registered
986 Posts
The thing I notice most is riding over small curbs at an angle--they are everywhere in my town--every driveway and entrance to businesses. About a 2 inch curb. You must hit them at an angle when you enter. All forks experience noticable flex when hitting these curbs, and I was just used to it, until I got my fork brace. Big difference.

More secure cornering feel as well, the front end just feels more planted in a curve.

Isn't Rick's fork brace one of the lowerst priced ones? I admit I'm a tightwad. In any case, it makes a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My fork brace made a surprising improvement in crosswind handling and in steering precision going around fast curves, aka: sweepers. The DL650 feels like a different bike with the brace installed. I was not expecting such a large improvement. Definitely money well spent.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
578 Posts
Okay....

So I know the fork brace has been beaten nearly to death. They're magical. That's why mine is on the way from RR right now.

So thinking about the arrival of the brace and what I'm gonna do to test the thing out, I realized something. Everyone talks about how much improvement they see in poor weather or in the sweepers, but I haven't seen a single person mention the effects off pavement. What gives? Can I expect the brace to have any impact on the bike's dirt performance?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Same in the dirt, more stable.
Mike

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes, it helps in dirt too. I noticed after installing mine, the front end tracks a lot better on rough gravel roads and trails. It used to feel like the front wheel was being pushed around by any irregularities, and now it tends to cut across them better, rather than following them from side to side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I got my forkbrace from Rick yesterday and installed the forkbrace in 10 minutes. It just slipped right on so I'm assuming my forks were not out of alignment. Very easy. I even put blue locktight on the bolts just to make sure it would not move.

I took the Weestrom out for a spin.

All I can say is WOW!!! I had no idea how bad the forks were flexing and how vague the front end was before the forkbrace.

I felt like I was on a sport bike. The bike felt tight and had another level of refinement and stability to it. It seems like I was connected to the front wheel. Night and Day difference.

Wish I would have made this purchase 1800 miles ago.

Overall very pleased w/ the fit and finish. Customer support from Rick was perfect. They answered all my questions and shipped the forkbrace promptly.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Hi peeps,
Went for a ride to a desert lake(Bartlett Lake in AZ) this morning after installing the RichlandRick fork brace and noticed a marked improvement in stability over the stock set up...
Fork braces are great..

I drove the road to the Bartlett Reservoir on October 30, 1996 for training on the (then) brand new Porsche Boxster. I remember the road as being an absolute blast to drive! I've always wondered if the road was as good as I remember. I've been back to Phoenix area a half dozen times (last week Monday Tuesday Wednesday was the latest) for different training events with Porsche but they have never taken us down there again. In the future I hope ride across the USA an wil make a point of riding that road again.

..Tom

·
Registered
654 Posts
just installed a superbrace tonight so see how it goes. Mind you with bike only 1000km on it I am stil getting use to it so most likelay won't notce that much of a diffrence but hey o well lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I installed my Rick's brace about 2 weeks ago but I haven't been able to try it out too much, the few rides I had done made me wish I had installed at the start of the season rather than the end of it. We had some scary winds last sunday, the brace made a huge difference. I also noticed that my forks weren't straight, I had to push out the forks by about half a cm on the axle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts