StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Read Only
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my 2012 DL650 was in getting its stator recall done I was given a demo DL1000 to ride. First impressions were that the seat is higher, it has a very flashy dashboard with lots of easy to read info, the bike itself is quite nice to look at. Started it up didn't seem too different from the 650 pulled the hydraulic clutch in engaged first gear then took off like a scared rabbit, boy do these bikes go! Rode it through town to the open road, suspension is nice, steers well, brakes are very impressive. Final comments, engine too big for round town 3rd gear highest usable at 60kmh, on the open road it begs to go faster all the time (license losing fast), sorry but just not practical for my needs. Nice to have had the chance to give one a try, I enjoyed riding my 650 home.:smile2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Final comments, engine too big for round town 3rd gear highest usable at 60kmh, on the open road it begs to go faster all the time (license losing fast), sorry but just not practical for my needs. Nice to have had the chance to give one a try, I enjoyed riding my 650 home.:smile2:
3rd at 60kmh...... Can you elaborate?

Best regards,

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes the 1000 bike seems to always feel like your lugging it. That and low RPM's are very rough with vibration.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
That's interesting because I was a little disappointed in the power of the V2 for a liter bike. Not that it isn't plenty, just was expecting a little more kick in the pants. I've got a cravin for an inline 4, so going to seriously look at the GSX-S1000F in the spring. Thinking more that it would compliment the V2 rather than replace it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I fully expected to fall in love with the V2 on my first test ride, I did not, I had to ride a few more before I knew that in time I would grow to love it.

Dropping to a 16t countershaft sprocket was the first and best thing I have done, in my opinion it improves the motor in all gears in all situations.

D

·
0 Posts
I took one for a spin on a demo ride last summer. Seemed pretty peppy.

CW got 91 rwhp out of it. Doesn't seem like much. My SV got 110 rwhp on the dyno with a smaller engine so...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
This thread is about the 1000. Why create it in the 650 forum?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Threads are supposed to be arranged by subject matter. What bike the poster owns has no bearing on posts not specifically about that bike. Each forum has a little blurb about the material that should be posted in that forum and there are a bunch more of them than we really need. Some threads would be fine in a couple of different forums. What bothers me are posts that are in a forum that has little or nothing to do with the post, especially posts in local forums that have no locally unique information.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I am a v2 guy all the way. From the time I started it up, I loved everything about the bike, around town, back roads, highway, etc.

It's very interesting the see how the opinions can vary so much, from rider to rider.

Different strokes...

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
This thread is about the 1000. Why create it in the 650 forum?

IMO, it's target audience is 650 folks thinking about the 1000 so it should be in the 650 forum. Put it in the 1000 forum and you're preaching to the choir and little to no 650 folks will ever see it. Like when I posted in the Off Topic forum looking for someone to give me a referral for the Spot 20% discount and a mod moved/buried it in the Maintenance, Tech and Products forum where few dare to tread....Zero comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for posting your thoughts... Makes me less likely to try one next summer. :)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sounds about right. 60k/h is 37mph. I don't touch 4th gear until I'm well over 40mph when just around town.

Or am I missing some observation?
I'm guessing the OP's comments relate to the significantly shorter overall gearing on the 650 compared to the 1000. Combined with the fact that the isn't really any happier than the 650 at low RPMs (at low speeds), and is a little coarser at higher RPMs than the 650 (because of the larger parts flying around), may make the 1000 seem less suited to typical urban speeds.

I used to (and still do with my Fazer 8 ) find myself shifting a lot while highway commuting at typical 40-80 km/h (25-40 mph) speeds in traffic because you want to be running enough revs to have some power available when wanted/needed, but at the same time the relatively low speeds without a lot of acceleration make droning along at 5,000+ rpm in traffic seem very buzzy. Out of town I am typically either running at a fairly constant speed of 100 km/h or more, where the buzziness of higher rpms is less noticeable, or accelerating where the higher rpms are desirable (for performance) and enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
While my 2012 DL650 was in getting its stator recall done I was given a demo DL1000 to ride. First impressions were that the seat is higher, it has a very flashy dashboard with lots of easy to read info, the bike itself is quite nice to look at. Started it up didn't seem too different from the 650 pulled the hydraulic clutch in engaged first gear then took off like a scared rabbit, boy do these bikes go! Rode it through town to the open road, suspension is nice, steers well, brakes are very impressive. Final comments, engine too big for round town 3rd gear highest usable at 60kmh, on the open road it begs to go faster all the time (license losing fast), sorry but just not practical for my needs. Nice to have had the chance to give one a try, I enjoyed riding my 650 home.:smile2:
That pull will work its way into your soul slowly, it is easily controlled after a week.

·
Registered
248 Posts
More 1st Gen DL650 vs 2nd Gen DL1000 thoughts possibly improperly posted;

Having recently ridden a rental 2014 Vee2 ~ 2000 km last month in New Zealand, my impressions:

Vee 2 is a BIG step up improvement over all other previous V-strom models;
It's a strong attempt to keep up with the technological "pace" of competing adv-touring motorcycles;
I agree it's not amazing power out of an 1000cc engine, but it has a robust feel; seems like it could go over 200k miles if not abused;
Good suspension, good comfort, brakes are great; it's the same "do-it-all" like the old V-stroms, with a modern makeover;
It should more than satisfy the same type of riders that the 1st Gen V-strom's attracted.

HOWEVER;
I'm still riding my currently owned 2005 DL650 back here in California, with 30k miles the motor is showing no signs of fatigue; there is some minor oil consumption after long highway runs at 6k rpms, but now I like to cruise at 5k rpms (65mph) to improve fuel economy and efficiency.

While the DL650 is just about as 'capable' as the Vee2, it cruises ~15-20mph slower on the freeway, and loses that quick "anytime" passing ability. I've looked at a few used 2014 Vee2's for sale, ~$8k, and while I've been tempted, I haven't upgraded mostly because it can't do much my DL650 can't do. It's definitely faster, and more comfortable, but the DL650 still has a lot of life left.

If I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to GO BIG! Like the Yamaha S10, or a BMW..

I hope this provides (or reinforces) some insight not already gained from this thread..

Reactions: Pauloxxi
1 - 20 of 47 Posts