StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a power-let port on the side plastic to plug-in my heated vest.
When not using the vest, is it possible to use a trickle charger/maintainer with the matching male power-let plug, to reverse the power feed, and keep the battery charged in winter? My 2002 BMW had a similar factory set-up but I am unsure if what I did is identical.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I did that on my last Strom and worked like a charm.....assuming your powerlet is going straight to your battery?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the positive lead is directly to the positive battery post, but unsure if the negative is to the negative post or to the frame for ground, would this matter?

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I know the positive lead is directly to the positive battery post, but unsure if the negative is to the negative post or to the frame for ground, would this matter?
You don't ever want to ground to the aluminum frame of these bikes, go straight to the battery or a dedicated grounding block which would obviously go to your battery! I have an EB PC8 so I use that for all my switched or unswitched power needs.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
You should have your powerlet at least fused. If that is the case and it's attached directly to the battery (not via switched power) than you can attach your trickle charger that way. Make sure the polarity is correct.
Alternatively, if you have a battery tender, they normally come with an SAE pigtail connector for the battery and for the tender. That is what I use, zipped to the passenger foot peg bracket. Also useful to operate a tire compressor (if you have one). If you want to do use that setup, make sure the fuse rating is suffizient for the mini compressor since the fuse for just running the tender is I think only 5A. It will blow when you operate the compressor.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I installed a power-let port on the side plastic to plug-in my heated vest.
When not using the vest, is it possible to use a trickle charger/maintainer with the matching male power-let plug, to reverse the power feed, and keep the battery charged in winter? My 2002 BMW had a similar factory set-up but I am unsure if what I did is identical.
Yup - I have installed a powerlet port off my sub frame for my heated vest. I cut off excess wiring and the inline fuse and connected direct to the EB PC8 to an unswitched circuit (allowing charging), and have the adapter to plug in my battery tender. Slick setup, no drilling my plastics, easily removed and serves a dual purpose.

Powerlet Type-1 Rearset Kit - RevZilla

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
The general rule of thumb is if it needs the battery as a filter (such as a two way radio, any type of sensitive electronic equipment, or something that draws an excess amount of current (like heated items), run it directly back to the battery (or fuse box).

A guy who did a home built airplane like me did a fuselage ground on a tube and fabric airplane. On his first night flight around the pattern he noticed it sparked in various spots. lol If there is one thing you don't ever want to see on an airplane - it is sparks. Right to get aluminum to corrode quickly - run a little electricity though it touching steel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts