StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just getting ready to get some new bags for my DL1000A and had pretty much decided on the Trekker Outback cases and CAM racks ordered form Italy. Now I see there's a new series, the Trekker Dolomiti. I like the silver aluminum finish, but I wonder whether I'd regret not getting the Outback cases. I've not seen the new series in person, but the pictures look good. I was planning to get a 48L and 37L combo, but I think the Dolomiti series is only available in 36L. I don't do any super long distance touring any more, but do like the look of aluminum boxes and the utility of top opening. The Suzuki cases just feel a little cheesy to me and I really don't care for the side opening and latch design.

Anybody see the Dolomiti bags in person?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I liked the dolomiti cases. I had a look at them in a shop a while back and was going to get a set, then I discovered the kappa k venture panniers. Just like the trekkers but cheaper. I came off the other day on some mud and they took the fall with only a scratch on the corner and a very slight dent. Hardly any damage so they get my vote.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This was the pannier that I landed on. I was doing 25 mph in tarmac. No real damage. I was amazed.
Hi what top case is that you have on and is there any issue with the top opening lid on the panniers hitting the top case?
any chance you might have a pic from the rear of the bike?
wondering how much clearance there is between the pannier and top case. I have an e55maxia top case which is 590mm or 23.2" approx. wide.
I looked at the Dolomiti as well, I think the Kappa Kventure are a bit more robust though,
and like that the corners are protected by the plastic pieces.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I liked the dolomiti cases. I had a look at them in a shop a while back and was going to get a set, then I discovered the kappa k venture panniers. Just like the trekkers but cheaper. I came off the other day on some mud and they took the fall with only a scratch on the corner and a very slight dent. Hardly any damage so they get my vote.
So the Kappa's mount the same as the Givi's?? Same boxes just cheaper?? How or why does this happen if the same company makes both? Isn't that just cutting your own throat for the more expensive line?? I don't get it......

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think they are what you'd call sister companies,kappa isn't that much cheaper, just that these kventures and Givi dolomiti mount on the existing monokey racks, (using the supplied adapter kit)
but the Givi trekker outback require the cam side racks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah. I didn't do my homework and ordered cam side racks only to find they didn't fit. But they are stronger than standard givi racks, so I bodged them to allow the k ventures to fit.
No problems with opening them when my maxima top box is on.
Have you found anything that will utilise the space underneath the pannier lid? I see Givi supply a net for the purpose, part no. Givi E144

bit expensive for what it is, I 'd like to get some kind of pouch maybe velcroed under the lids, it would take a lot of the small crap I carry in the tank bag. Haven't figured out what to do with it yet, k venture panniers won't be here till next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bicycle shops have cargo nets that will work in the Givi lids for like 6 bucks. Not a perfect fit but fine for the use. I have the givi Trekker Outbacks 37L and really like them. survived several tip overs with no damage. Got them for a steal at probably the same Italian web site mentioned here.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Got my K ventures and fitted them yesterday, no problem with the left pannier lid opening with the e55 top box fitted,there is plenty of clearance, delighted with them, love the top loading,I'll look into some way of storing stuff under the lid,
I came across some other brand of pannier that had a liner for under the lid with dif zipped pouches in it,must have a look to see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone else mounted the Dolomiti on the Outback Trekker CAM racks? I have the Outbacks now, but have an opportunity to get the Dolomiti cheap. I'm not sure its worth the swap, but the Dolomiti do look a little more modern.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Regarding the net for the lid. Local variety store had some camp gear bags, and one of them is a perfect fit for under a lid. So you can stuff lots of loose stuff into the back, then use the net to hold it in. Even 2 small shock cords for that matter...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up going with the Outbacks. I really like them. Got them from Italy and the price difference between them and the Dolomiti wasn't that great, so I went with the older design. Now I'm considering a top case, although I expect it makes mounting and unmounting a bit harder.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have the Trekker Outbacks.

I'd get the 48L they are the same height/distance to the bike, but they stick out 3" further each. The problem with them though no matter what size you get is they sit up high and cut into the leg room for 2up riding. I dropped a lot of money on the full 3 piece set and I don't think my wife's going to like it at all for 2 up riding. Mostly we do weekend trips and the top case will be fine. Even my 10 year old son was complaining he didn't have enough leg room. I wouldn't buy them again.. and debated returning them but they are already mounted and I don't want to deal with shipping... For solo riding though.. oh man am I going to love them! the only draw back is 2up.[/B]

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I ended up going with the Outbacks. I really like them. Got them from Italy and the price difference between them and the Dolomiti wasn't that great, so I went with the older design. Now I'm considering a top case, although I expect it makes mounting and unmounting a bit harder.
if you get the 58L you will not be able to fully open the side cases with the top case attached. You will be able to open it enough to load and unload though unless you have a huge bag or something to stuff in. In that case you'd have to remove the top case (takes 2 seconds) or unhinge the side case lid and remove it that way.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
if you get the 58L you will not be able to fully open the side cases with the top case attached. You will be able to open it enough to load and unload though unless you have a huge bag or something to stuff in. In that case you'd have to remove the top case (takes 2 seconds) or unhinge the side case lid and remove it that way.
I have the 58L top case and it works fine with 37L side cases. Mine are Kappa K-Venture, but identical to Outback, both made by Givi.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I have the 58L top case and it works fine with 37L side cases. Mine are Kappa K-Venture, but identical to Outback, both made by Givi.
Interesting what year?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts