StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told the previous owner installed a TRE to give me more power upon take off and the first three gears. Thats all good, apart from the fact that it is very jerky in 1, 2 and 3. I have not ventured into the dirt yet, but any slower work seems to be an issue with this TRE thingy on as I cannot get smooth power. Any advice on how to get rid of TRE, what it looks like and where to find it? It has far too much power for me anyway and might stop the wife from headbutting me after taking off at the lights!:yesnod:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A TRE is connected in the wiring to the gear position switch which is directly under the front sprocket. How can I make a de-restricter for my DL1000? shows how to make a TRE. Hopefully, yours has connectors installed so it can just be unplugged from the stock connectors and the stockers rejoined.

Edit: Wrong again. Under the front sprocket is the position on the 650. The Vee has it on the clutch basket side opposite the sprocket side.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
Will this work on a Wee?
A Wee isn't power restricted. The stock Vee restriction in higher gears still allows more power than the Wee possesses.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Look into the TRE on VSRI FORUM

I made one for my VEE and they have pictures of them and the plug locations and colors. The plug is right in front of the battery.

The tre correction makes the bike think it is in 4th gear all the time. The other rumor is Odious Gear O/D has its own map that gives better mileage on expressways.

There are too many other reasons for jerky running at low speed TPS TBS Loose boots on and on. Also check the ECU maps or modifiers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wonderful TRE !

Been reading about the TRE but hesitant to do this mod. Finally made the plunge lately......and OMG, what a difference it made ! No more hesitation or flat spot between 3-4.5K rpm ! It pulled like a raging bull !

Definitely value for money ! No regrets !

Only setback....I loose the OD indicator light. :headbang:

·
Registered
72 Posts
TRE - Timing Retard Eliminator - removes the retarding of the timing in lower RPM in lower gears (1-4) that is programmed into the ECU. It does this by telling the ECU you are in 5th gear all the time.

There is a three-wire line coming out of the engine near the clutch cover. One of the lines has a voltage that varies according to what gear you are in. A TRE sets the voltage to what the gear position switch is for 5th gear. Its done with a simple resistor. For power limits in higher gears (like on the 'Busa) telling the ECU that you are always in 5th gear also can bypass the power limiter.

Installing a TRE will give you more pull in lower gears. If present, it requires the rider to be smoother on throttle application as it does not limit the application of power in the lower gears.

For Suzuki's there are many TRE units, from simple in-line plug-ins to Gear indicators with TRE built in. Since the connector is the same on the Vee and Wee as on the GSXR, you will find these units readily available, as we use them on the track a lot.

·
38,103 Posts
The unrestricted gear on the Vee is 4th, not 5th. Also, the TRE removes the top speed restrictions in 5th and 6th while it retains the over-rev limiter.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I've had a TRE on for a while and is has done nothing for the low RPM stumbles, however I did not expect it to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A TRE is connected in the wiring to the gear position switch which is directly under the front sprocket. How can I make a de-restricter for my DL1000? shows how to make a TRE. Hopefully, yours has connectors installed so it can just be unplugged from the stock connectors and the stockers rejoined.
Old post, I know - but I'm I've got a new (to me) '06 DL1000 and apparently failed at making my own TRE - based on that post at vstrom.info.

I'm wondering if I had mine installed backwards.

From that picture, it was my understanding that the gear signal comes in from the right side of the plug and goes out to the left to the ECU.

But, if the gear position switch is under the sprocket cover, wouldn't the signal enter the plug on the LH side, and go to the right side?

When I had mine installed, the OD light did not come on. But, after a few minutes of riding, the warning light came on and "FI" started flashing.

I took it back off, the OD light worked again, and I got no errors.

TL : DR version - Does the signal from the TRE need to go left or right - assuming you're looking at the plug from the behind the tank, facing the front of the bike?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
TRE on Vees

The unrestricted gear on the Vee is 4th, not 5th. Also, the TRE removes the top speed restrictions in 5th and 6th while it retains the over-rev limiter.
Greywolf is entirely correct. There are more rumors about TREs than you can shake a stick at. 650s are not restricted in any gear. On the 1000s, only 5th and 6th are restricted. Most bikes with restrictors are restricted in the low gears to keep them from doing loops at stop signs too easily. Vees have it in the high gears to keep the top speed down because the frame and forks are not made for high speed operation. A TRE should not affect the running of a Vee in the lower gears at all. The ads for TREs generally state that they de-restrict the lower gears. When you read on, especially the part where they are talking about DLs, they let you know that it's the opposite on them, de-restricting the top gears only because 1-4 are not restricted to begin with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A TRE is connected in the wiring to the gear position switch which is directly under the front sprocket.
This is the part that threw me. The gear position switch - according to my service manual - is under the clutch cover on the right hand side of the bike.

The wires coming out of the sprocket cover are for the speed sensor.

·
38,103 Posts
It appears you used the wrong connector.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used the wires coming out of the right hand side of the engine. They only go to one connector under the seat. Though - is it right hand while you're sitting on the bike? Or right hand as you're facing the front of the bike? Maybe we ought to just use nautical terms - port and starboard are always the same.

Anyway, it had to be the right connector. I'll verify my components tonight and make sure the resistors I received are the value that they indicate on the outside. Maybe I just got a bad component.

·
38,103 Posts
I vaguely remember looking for a pic and finding one with the gear position switch under the front sprocket. A second look shows it in the clutch basket area as you said on the Vee. I may have seen a Wee picture by mistake as that's where it is on the 650. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too assumed that the wires going to the LH side of the engine was for the gear position - since it is right next to the shifting lever. The service manual cleared that up though.

I gotta dig into it further and see what the issue is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It doesn't really matter. If the TRE's only unleash the full power in 5th and 6th, they are useless. The reasoning for limiting top speed on a DL1K is sound. Many of us even limit our top speed further by gearing down the bike, actually increasing the low gear wheel horsepower and limiting top speed.

Torque and low speed acceleration is where it's at with these bikes. Top speed is just downright scary, especially with the stock gearing. I run my FJR up to and over 130 and feel relatively stable and comfortable. Anything over 100 on a DL is a yard sale in the making.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've heard different things from different sources. It was my understanding that the bike was restricted in all gears but 4th. I also read that the restricted power in 6th gear would also lead to poorer MPGs on the interstate.

If neither are true, then I really have no reason to pursue a TRE for this bike.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Anything over 100 on a DL is a yard sale in the making.
First, gearing only affects torque at the rear wheel. Not horsepower. And second, mine is quite stable at 130 true. Stable enough for me to get a TRE so I can improve on that. I suspect that my lowering the front and rear about 1.5" has an effect on stability, though I could never prove it. Not that it is a good idea to go that fast on the street, of course, but fun on a road course track.

Gearing a bike lower feels good to the rider but will not necessarily get you down the drag strip faster. If mine was geared lower, I'd have to shift to 5th on the strip. It does 113 in 4th with 17-43 gearing at the end. Gearing down for dirt operation makes a lot of sense so you don't have to slip the clutch all the time in rough going.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts