StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the TRE from Ivans Peformance Products on a 04 DL1000? My dealer suggested it to get rid of the stumble around 3000 rpm. He says he cannot adjust the mixture because of EPA regs. I understand the TRE gets rid of the mapping in different gears as well as the OD indicator and the speed govonor. I am just interested in getting rid of the stumble.

Any ideas?
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm

Thanks!

Larry

K

·
0 Posts
I happen to live near there and went over and met ivan. I have a power commander, 2 bros pipes, k&n air filter, and never run super unleaded. I havent had any of the problems with sputtering and spitting, but i noticed the bike runs best at 4500rpms, and most effeciently at 3500rpms. Anyway , I put this little blue thing on and my bike is "BAD ASS". I got it a month ago and have two brand new speeding tickets now. HAHA. I feel like I'm on a GSXR dirt bike. lol. I got scared at 140 (registered on speedometer) and backed off but she had plenty more left. The bike was pretty stable too. The only thing is the green sixth gear light doesnt work (who cares). I really like the way it accelerates and you have better throttle control. I dont really know what the tre is but it works great! Ivan said the only thing different between the dl1000 engine and the tl1000 is the cam, so that explains the acceleration and speed of this bike. Between the dyno power commander, and this tre my bike is so torque'yand powerful i have to remind myself the front wheel belongs on the ground. by the way, my radar went off and i was clocked at 117 if 5th gear while i was hard on the brakes. The other time i was in third (w/o radar detector) when he clocked me at 85. I didnt see him until later when two other cops had formed a road block. It took 30 minutes for me to convince the law that i wasnt running. After looking at the bike and my record (which was good), they finally decided i was telling the truth and let me go with a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had the TRE for a couple months. I wanted to lessen the bucking at the 3.5 K and lower rpm. It is excellent product and well worth the cost. Note: that the overdrive light does not come on after installing the TRE and the 9500 RPM governor is overridden. I don’t find either a problem, still worth the cost.

Bill

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I checked into the TRE and found out that it is only available for the DL1000 and not the 650. Don't know if they will offer it for the 650 yet.

J

·
0 Posts
Guys, please read this before you send anyone money! These things are cheap and easy to make! They can also be purchased VERY cheaply.

**From the SV1000S forum:

The TRE is a device, which allows better throttle response in the first 4 gears on all EFI Suzuki sport bikes. What the Suzuki did was make separate ignition map for each gear. This has been done for either safety and/or emissions reasons. However, it limits the power and smoothness of your bike in the first 1/2 turn of the throttle in gears 1 through 4. It still allows full timing at full throttle. As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the advance curve decreases, until you make it into 5th gear and then it's gone. A TRE has no effect at full throttle A TRE does have an effect at throttle openings up to 1/2 in gears 1 through 4 at ANY rpm A TRE does NOT affect full throttle power Two of the options for performing this mod are either buy a TRE device for a few hundred dollars or you can perform a simple modification to the electronics yourself with a 15 k/ohm register that will cost you a few cents.

J

·
0 Posts
Gilk51 said:
I checked into the TRE and found out that it is only available for the DL1000 and not the 650. Don't know if they will offer it for the 650 yet.
I e-mailed them for an update on the status of the 650 version (if any). I'll let you know what I hear.

J

·
0 Posts
No plans to make one for the 650 :( I'd like to see the instructions on how to do this yourself... :?

B

·
0 Posts
DIY TRE

I found this set of instructions for a do-it-yourself-for-cheap TRE. I haven't tried this on a V-Strom (or any other bike) so don't know how well it works. The instructions do say something about it affecting idle speed and the Ivan TRE claims to avoid doing this.

http://www.maxlean.com/motorcyclepages/tre.htm

-John

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like this Johnny Strommer is simply a troll, likes to rouse things up without backing it up.

Anyway...

Ivan's device looks pretty cool. Anyone else have any experience with it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I installed it last night. Was easy install. TheTRE definately does what it says. It is more responsive and the overdrive light does not work any more. I would recomend it. It is a simple plug and play upgrade.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts