StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure a bunch of you new owners are in the same boat as me. The clock is ticking and I want to hit the road. Particularly north for me to experience the Dawson summer events and perhaps Alaska. Dawson happens around the 20 June and at my rate of travel I need 10 days to get there.:green_lol: But I need the damn farkles. I'm a camper so I need the bags. Got the skid plate, center stand Monday and no sign of bags or crash bars. Guess I could Jerryrig it and may just have to do that. And then there's Suzuki. I could get the bars and break my vow to stop wasting money. But there's still the bags. What to do, what to do!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm hoping to be in Dawson for the 20th too...but I figure 6 days should be plenty from Vancouver.

Do you mean you ordered your bags already and they haven't arrived?

I wouldn't worry as much about the crash bars. They are only important when you need them :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
I am in a similar situation for my attendance at the Mohawk Trail trip. I did get engine guards on ebay and am very happy with them.i am waiting for sw motech skidplate as it attaches to the engine guard crossbar.
I will be utilizing dry bags and rok straps to carry my stuff.
It is clear that patience is needed when purchasing a new model. In the end it will all be good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got AndyStrapz Expedition bags and the frames he's designed for the new bike and over 9,000 km so far they have been great.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Id probably buy a giant loop if I were you. I just looked at Andystrapz and they are $910 shipped to the US so I'll pass on those.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Had a look, Jake. The two choices run at 450 and 700 bucks. Great bags but a lot of plusses added on to that for Canada.(One distributor out of Quebec). Or I could make a road trip out of it to Kenniwick, Wa. Around 500kms., one way. If they got em and if they work. But for soft bags I was looking for something in the two to three hundred range.

And just discovered Mosko Moto, a Fairly new startup company run by back country riding guys. Their gear looks exceptional. Unfortunately, their Panniers are still in development and on preorder ($around $450) their expected date is Aug.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yes but I think the racks are $370 as well. The freight was only $120
I'm getting by with a Wolfman Ranier tank bag and Wolf Tail rear bag. Those are close to the size of a lot of saddlebags when expanded so I'm good for a little while because I do mostly local riding. I may just wait to see what Jesse comes up with. I'm still thinking Twisted Throttle racks and Kirks Panniers alu bags.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plunged in Again!

But this time the price is right. A Viscous Cycle says they can get me a set of Givi 405 Soft saddlebags in a week. Total: $200. Took a couple of measurements and at about 10.5 inches deep it looks like it will clear the can. If it doesn't I can send em back. 25 ltrs a side but that's enough. And at two bills not a great loss if they don't last.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I ordered an SE Vstrom 1000 from Holeshot in Langley BC. Got the bike a couple of weeks ago, but without the SE kit, which includes the hardbags, centrestand and hand guards. I'm told they may be in as early as this week, but we'll see. I've told them I need the bags because I want to plan a June trip. They say I'm at the top of the list to get the parts. My engine guards and sump protector are in and awaiting pickup. I get a discount on all parts because I bought the bike there so it takes some of the sting out of Suzuki's overpricing.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the soft bags are cancelled. Called em up and they told me, after telling me they could have them in a few days, that they are back ordered for middle of June. So, it looks like I am back to waiting for bags. Prolly gonna be $1200 worth of Hard bags and mounts. But, hey. what's an extra grand?:headbang:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wolfman Beta

You should think about the Wolfman Beta Plus Rear Bag (45L), plus the Beta Duffel (21L).

Beta Plus Rear Bag by Wolfman Motorcycle Luggage | Wolfman Luggage
Beta Duffel Tail Bag by Wolfman Luggage - Motorcycle Luggage | Wolfman Luggage

I have used this system on my DL650 for close to 10 years. Spacious (66L total), solid as a rock when installed, no issues with the exhaust/muffler, waterproof with rain covers installed, and typical Wolfman quality (top-notch).

Under $300 with rain covers direct from Wolfman. Even cheaper here where I bought it: Wolfman tail bags and seat packs - Sport Tour Motorcycle Accessories and Gear
Although they don't show the rain covers on their site, I am sure you can get them.

Highly recommended!

marathonman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Soft Luggage = Piece of Mind and $$$$ Saved

Roadtoad,

While fitting out my 2013 DL 650, I did some research and decided to opt for soft

luggage this time around. At first it was strictly aesthetics, because I just couldn't live

with the width of most of the hard bags. After living with my soft luggage for a few

thousand miles, I'm glad I made this choice. The saddlebags are Ortlieb Thin Dry Bags

distributed by Aerostich @ $ 185. The Ortlieb bags don't require racks, but once again

aesthetics overruled and I ordered a really slick Dan Vessel Support / Rack tool combo for

the side with no exhaust. This Luggage Guard - $55 with Agri-Tube Tool Cannister - $6

mounts easily and gives the Ortlieb bags support and symmetry. The final addition was the

$ 230. SW Motech EVO Cargobag for the rear seat area. This set up provides plenty of

water proof storage and cost savings. Every order was at the house within a few days.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dude, your over thinking, over analyzing. If you have to go to MEC and buy a bag to fit on the seat/rack, put your clothes, etc in garbage bags and ride...

I bought a set of soft bags from a dealer in Vernon, and even some wolfman stuff at the Suzuki Dealer in Vernon... it may not be exactly what you want, but don't let it impact your trip....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That Wolfman bag looks like the ticket. Checking into it. Thx.I already have a couple of dry duffles for mc camping so that could work perfect.
Thing about hard bags is they make a great platform for carrying stuff. No longer a minimalist camper, I carry a lot of 'stuff'. Just got this from Cabela's in the large size
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/41098/cabelas-ultimate-sleeping-pads
and turns out it's pretty damn big even rolled up. Major comfy, tho and it's comin along.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts