StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Donunder Didn't you just get home?

What's the next trip Rich? Something easy --- Somalia Libya Afghanistan Ipswich?
Hi Don, well, I have been back for nearly 18 months now, time flies with your head down and bum up and I have not been riding anywhere decent for ages, work work work!

windinhair A hint on your next trip TS,I followed your last blog like a serial on the tele.
To both of you, my basic plan at this stage is to get to Gallipoli for next years Anzac Day service, with the bike I have here, then work my way north with the weather, then head east to Singapore. I am not quite sure of the route yet, it depends on hostilities in the regions I would like to experience!!!

I will have to plan a lot harder and have a better itinary than last time, because I will need Visas and a Carnet this time.

Where I am working(out west) I have no access to internet nor mobile coverage except during the day when I cannot use it, and as they are 12 hour days, it makes it very tiring as well. This means no forum browsing, or any type of research at all, so it is all guesswork at his stage. But, I am hoping to move to a different camp soon, where I will have internet, that will be very welcome :)

Anyway, I have a general route in my head(one of the Silk Routes) and time is not an issue, although of course there is the dreaded 21st December 2012 to contend with, but I should be somewhere in the Pakistan area then, so I can catch a lift on one of them big Subs ;)

Cheers
TravellingStrom

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi K1W1

Thanks for instigating this, although it was not intended on my part.

A small request though, is there any chance of getting the forum owners to install a small smartphone app called Tapatalk?

Tapatalk Forum App - Empowering Forum Junkies on-the-go

This allows people to read/post from their smart phones, which I would be able to do during my breaks. No biggee if it can't be done, but it does make the forum more accessible.

Cheers
TravellingStrom

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
No TapaTalk will never happen here.
Search the forum there are plenty of threads on the subject. The forum owners have their own (paid) app that they support.

Edit: or buy an iPad like I'm using. I just log on via a web browser on either wifi or 3G whatever is available.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Or get an Android phone and have full Internet features.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Or get an Android phone and have full Internet features.
It's not full Internet features that is the issue. Tapatalk strips out all the crap formatting and makes it much easier to read forums generally on a screen the size of a phone screen.
Download the Android version and try it (just not on this forum as it's not supported).

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
It's not full Internet features that is the issue. Tapatalk strips out all the crap formatting and makes it much easier to read forums generally on a screen the size of a phone screen.
Download the Android version and try it (just not on this forum as it's not supported).
I see all the forum stuff on my HTC android phone exactly as I see it on my netbook, laptop and home computers- including the video links and pictures people post.

Reading and replying to posts is exactly the same, including emoticon access.

The only difference is it has a touch screen keyboard, no issue there.

Zoom function is a simple tap on the screen and even though it enlarges the text it still fits it to the screen size so you don't have to scroll sideways to read it.

I have been told the android is more internet functional than the Iphone [haven't tried an Iphone personally though].

Response from members of some forums who have set up taptalk that has to be paid for has been quite negative too.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh well I had already installed Tapatalk, and paid for it as well.
Not sure I want to buy another at this stage, maybe later.

I am posting this via iPhone 4 and have full website showing, I just have to zoom in a bit.

I can see though that an app would save data as there is as KIWI mentioned, lots of bumpf and clutter which is not needed, it might even strip out them annoying ads, now that might be worth the kudos ;)
Cheers
TS

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You will get it all up and running ready for the trip Richard, and then find there is no network where you are heading :fineprint:
:headbang::headbang:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Ocker you have missed the whole point of Tapatalk.
You can view web pages like this forum equally on an Android phone, an iPhone or a Blacberry. Viewing the pages is NOT the issue.
Tapatalk cuts the crap formatting out of the pages and just leaves you with the basic text. You then have the option of viewing the complete page or staying with the text if you wish. This app improves download speed AND saves costs on 3G networks and allows you to amalgamate multiple forum subscriptions into one place.
Before you start raving on about how good your phone is you should really take the time to try to understand what people are talking about.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think it realy only matter if you are on a restricted phone plan and what the network is like were you are . I get unlimited calls and 2 gb of downloads if I want more on my phone I simply upgrade my plan or pay more .

I do think an Ipad is one idea but I think a simple cheap Laptop is a better idea .I picked up a 15 inch Toshiba laptop in the states for $350 from Best Buys back in March.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Ocker you have missed the whole point of Tapatalk.
You can view web pages like this forum equally on an Android phone, an iPhone or a Blacberry. Viewing the pages is NOT the issue.
Tapatalk cuts the crap formatting out of the pages and just leaves you with the basic text. You then have the option of viewing the complete page or staying with the text if you wish. This app improves download speed AND saves costs on 3G networks and allows you to amalgamate multiple forum subscriptions into one place.
Before you start raving on about how good your phone is you should really take the time to try to understand what people are talking about.
Whatever.

And BTW, I have the Blackberry and it don't do shit compared to the Android.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yeah, but ....... apart from all this techy stuff ... :headbang:

Nice to hear you're planning another monster trip Rich. Most of us don't get to do even one. It'll be interesting to hear how you approach the different paperwork hurdles this time. I was stunned at the amount of drama involved in your South American border crossings!

I think we need to do another bike prep session at Graham's before you leave too. Maybe an "overnighter", sharing some snags with the white bear. :yesnod:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too right Don, more beer and rum and chat :)

Well, SA was easy, because I did not need a carnet nor a Visa, so yes, this will take a lot more planning.

BTW, this is the same trip, it was originally a RTW trip, but due to the crash in 08, I had to cut the trip into sections.

I did want to get it all done prior to 2012, but I will keep on travelling until the money runs out, then start saving again I guess ;)

ps - I wish I could be there for Lockies last season game, but I will be there in spirit, and hope he gets the GF

Cheers
TS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts