StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Traveling Teacher - Taking my '06 DL650 RTW

Hey all!

I bought my '06 V back in October, and have been slowly putting parts on it whenever my paycheck allows.

I have been saving for a couple years now for long term travel, but I just wasn't sure how I wanted to do it. Until last summer when I realized it should most definitely be on a motorcycle.

I have friends who told me great things about the V's, so I bought one.

Here is the blog I started that is still in the works:

www.atravelingteacher.com

I look forward to sharing my progress and growing with fellow Vstromers!

Pete

Unanswered Questions in thread:

Answered Questions in thread:
Extra fuel can suggestions and mounting location? (Post #32)

Table of Contents:

April Mock Trip (Page 4)
US Trip Mapped out! (Page 6)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Someone needs to get a spouse and a couple kids and a house and mortgage and become responsible.
All this gallivanting will come to no good end.
How are you going to sit at the end of life and ponder, "What if" if you've done it already >:)
Doesn't seem right. But I'm just jealous. Have a wonderful time and write when you find work! :fineprint:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Awesome ! Safe, exciting, enriching travels to you. I look forward to following your progress.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congratulations, but of course it's only because you've made it a priority that you are able to set out on this trip. Looking at your blog, good move on trying out your tools changing tires, etc. No doubt your RTW plans include Greece given your family ties there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone needs to get a spouse and a couple kids and a house and mortgage and become responsible.
All this gallivanting will come to no good end.
How are you going to sit at the end of life and ponder, "What if" if you've done it already >:)
Doesn't seem right. But I'm just jealous. Have a wonderful time and write when you find work! :fineprint:
I really enjoyed reading this :grin2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations, but of course it's only because you've made it a priority that you are able to set out on this trip. Looking at your blog, good move on trying out your tools changing tires, etc. No doubt your RTW plans include Greece given your family ties there.
Thank you!

I have put some serious time into trying to figure out this bike just to get a good sense of it while I'm on the road. I used to work on Subarus a lot, and this seems to be just as fun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Traveling Teacher - Around the world on my DL650

Hey all!

Here is my post I will be updating while I am preparing for my trip, and when I set off in July.

I bought my '06 V back in October, and have been slowly putting parts on it whenever my paycheck allows.

I have been saving for a couple years now for long term travel, but I just wasn't sure how I wanted to do it. Until last summer when I realized it should most definitely be on a motorcycle.

I have friends who told me great things about the V's, so I bought one.

Here is the blog I started that is still in the works:

www.atravelingteacher.com

I look forward to sharing my progress and growing with fellow Vstromers!

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Yo, teacher guy. I met another young teacher on a journey when at a local mountain road house. He'd been teaching English in China for a time and gallivanted off to Alaska, bought a Triumph 800 and was meandering his way to Tierra Del Fuego.
No time schedules, no societal tethers, just adventure. Carpe Diem! :wink2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Enjoy your trip. I did a 7 month trip on my 06 back in 2016 going from Philly to Chile. It's a good bike for the trip!

My blog is here the unknown roads ? moto around the world
Great to hear!

Your blog looks awesome!

Did you find most places you went to be relatively safe? I feel the US gets some misinformation about southern countries, at least from what I've heard from other travelers that go down.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Enjoy yourself.

Don't forget that your headlights will be facing into the eyes of other drivers when you get to right hand drive countries like the UK, Australia, New Zealand and some parts of Asia, e.g., Japan, Hong Kong, India, etc., i.e., the lights dip to the left.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Good on you for taking the plunge! A big step quitting your job to do this. Agree, do it when you're young, traveling the U.S. on motorcycle has been #1 on my bucket list for over 30 years, I keep putting it off. Now I'm 55 and have finally realized I have to put more effort into making it happen since I'm not sure I'll physically be able to do it when I retire.

I'm also a teacher (music), ride a DL650, and live in New England (Nashua). My best friend growing up was Greek, his family took me there one summer, a phenomenal experience. The blog looks interesting, I'll be following.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fantastic! What an adventure.
Thank you!

Looking forward to it very much, although it did come much faster than expected!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good on you for taking the plunge! A big step quitting your job to do this. Agree, do it when you're young, traveling the U.S. on motorcycle has been #1 on my bucket list for over 30 years, I keep putting it off. Now I'm 55 and have finally realized I have to put more effort into making it happen since I'm not sure I'll physically be able to do it when I retire.

I'm also a teacher (music), ride a DL650, and live in New England (Nashua). My best friend growing up was Greek, his family took me there one summer, a phenomenal experience. The blog looks interesting, I'll be following.

Thank you!

Always nice to hear of fellow teachers who ride!

I'm sure you know all about Greek food if you grew up with his family!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts