StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right place. I looked and did not find any recent post concerning cross border travel and generally long distance travel. All is well as long as all is well. But what if the unwanted happens and we end up smashed up and our ride is kaput?

How do you guys cover for hospital care, emergency responses, bike towing (and duty in case it's totaled abroad - Canada or the US if you come from the other), possibly medi-vac back home etc. .... ?

We all have decent liability insurance on our bikes, may be comprehensive, some form of health insurance (I hope!) but what about the risks that are not covered by these insurances? Hopefully there are a few insurance savvy members that can give some guidance?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Ask your mc and health insurance agents, and let us all know. My mc insurance covers me in Canada, but things like transporting a wrecked bike might not. Medical transport to get you to your home town hospital might be a good question.

For those of us on U.S. Medicare, the only foreign coverage it offers is the most direct route between the lower 48 and Alaska. Some Medicare supplemental insurance covers foreign treatment, and some doesn't (like retiree coverage). I've seen a case where U.S. employee health insurance paid costs from Canada, but the person had to pay the Canadian hospital first then got reimbursed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts