StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of work, I was still unable to get my DL1000 to start. I decided to take it to the shop, but don't have a trailer or any friends.
I didn't want to rent one since the shop is only a mile down the road, so I built this instead.

It worked great and was way cheaper than any off-the-self versions.
Understand, since the pivot point of the "trailer" is at your bikes headset, the back of the bike will lean in turns. It does however return to center on straightaways.

Wheel Chock:

HAUL-MASTER500 Lb. Steel Cargo Carrier:

RHINO USA Ratchet Straps:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
A trailer at u-haul is somethgin like $10 a day.

The way the bike is leaning in the picture I cannot imagine that no really stressing the steering head.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
I looked at a few of the commercially available ones a while back and was concerned about what I see in that picture. But there are places that sell plenty of that sort of setup that just hooks straight in a receiver hitch.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Steering head handles more load normally than you might think. More than once when I was younger I pushed a bike more than a mile. Before I eat breakfast I walk a mile then bicycle 6 miles. I would start when it is cool and push it if I had no more than a mile to go. consider it your exercise for the day or week .

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
987 Posts
For towing a bike a mile in a pinch, I suppose that would work. Personally, I'd be sticking to the shoulder with my hazards on.

As mentioned above, renting a U-Haul MC trailer is $20, and I've made use of them a few times. Low deck, wide ramp, built-in wheel chock, tows behind just about any vehicle with a hitch -- hard to go wrong.

Alternatively, several large home stores in the area (like Menard's) rent full-size pickup trucks for around the same price, and I can rent ramps from any of several rental stores.

IMO, either of those would be safer options. But, hey, I'm no expert -- let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I love it. For a mile down the road, can't imagine anything being greatly stressed. I would probably get in a wreck watching that lean as you go around a corner, though, but it'd be great to see. Many ways to skin a cat.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I would have just pushed it.

But I respect the ingenuity at work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the record, it worked great and was very stable. I didn't need to drive extra slow or on the shoulder. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a longer drive if I needed to.
I did see one commercial product that had a pivot at the hitch mount which would be preferable as it allows the bike to stay upright in turns.
I'll see if I can accomplish that in version 2.0
Take that U-haul!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at a few of the commercially available ones a while back and was concerned about what I see in that picture. But there are places that sell plenty of that sort of setup that just hooks straight in a receiver hitch.

I would be concerned about the one on Ebay as it doesn't actually cradle the front wheel. Seems to completely rely on the straps to hold the bike in place.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
If I was doing that over a long distance at speed I would want to drop the chain off the rear sprocket so it is not spinning the front one.

It reminds me of a story I read as a teenager, this guy was ridding through outback Australia but kept having trouble keeping the bike upright in the soft sand.

He noticed motorcycle tread marks running on the high spot straight down the middle of the road.

The marks were running very straight and true unlike his marks so he thought he would try ridding down the centre too.

He didn't get very far before he crashed and after half a dozen more he gave up and went back to ridding in the car tracks.

When he got into the next town he spotted a ute with a broken down bike strapped to the back and yes the rear wheel was running on the middle of the road.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I was doing that over a long distance at speed I would want to drop the chain off the rear sprocket so it is not spinning the front one.

It reminds me of a story I read as a teenager, this guy was ridding through outback Australia but kept having trouble keeping the bike upright in the soft sand.

He noticed motorcycle tread marks running on the high spot straight down the middle of the road.

The marks were running very straight and true unlike his marks so he thought he would try ridding down the centre too.

He didn't get very far before he crashed and after half a dozen more he gave up and went back to ridding in the car tracks.

When he got into the next town he spotted a ute with a broken down bike strapped to the back and yes the rear wheel was running on the middle of the road.

Definitely need to drop the chain for a longer trip.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like it but the lean. It the lean exaggerated by having the front so high? Almost looks like a full lock on the steering. I would be ok for a 1 or 2 mile haul.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I like it but the lean. It the lean exaggerated by having the front so high? Almost looks like a full lock on the steering. I would be ok for a 1 or 2 mile haul.
That was my thought. I think the lean would be a lot less exaggerated if the front end of the bike wasn't so high off the ground.

Seems like a pretty good solution for towing a bike to me. Especially as something you can have on hand and use it when you need it. U-Haul trailers are fine, but you have to book it, go and pick it up, then take your bike wherever, drive back, return the trailer, and then do it again to pick it up.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
A good job, well done.

Reactions: RLBranson
1 - 16 of 16 Posts