StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some experienced advice:

Anyone have any special tips for transporting a DL650 in a pickup. It's a Ford F150,
and I'll have the usual tie down straps -- nothing fancy.

I will have a pair of 2x8's with the ramp ends to get the bike on and off -- and two big guys on each leg of the trip.

Thoughts on attching the straps? Avoiding scratches or abrasions? Getting the bike on an off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you can back into a little bit of a ditch or up to an embankment, it will help. The angle on my full size Dodge causes the exhaust to drag unless I can back into a ditch. I use my passenger peg mounts to tie down the rear and the handlebars in the front. The straps will put a little pressure on the fairing and you can put a rag or towel in there to prevent chafing. Good luck and get someone to help you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Loop your front tie downs over the lower triple clamps and they wont rub on the plastic.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
UMMHH, Why don't you just ride it??? :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Anchor the tie downs in the front corners, compress the forks, but when you arrive at your destination relieve the compression as it is not good on the suspension for extended period of time. if the strap are making body contact, use a towel or something to prevent marring, remember plastic will crack. Also use quality tie downs (I use ANCRA), why anyone would choose to use 3 dollars straps for their 6k bike is beyond me, and always tie the end in a knot for added security and to prevent it from flapping down the highway scratching your windshield while it blows around. After a few miles check the bike and ensure its secure and nothing has changed. One last thing is put it in gear. I would say turn off the gas, but we won't go there as its FI.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Thoughts on attching the straps? Avoiding scratches or abrasions? Getting the bike on an off?
Regarding "abrasions", do not attempt to cover the bike with ANYTHING... bike cover, tarp or whatever... no matter how snug you think you have it on the wind will cause it to flap around and scuff up the bike (or truck)... I personally learned this lesson the hard way over 20 years ago. :(

- Martin

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is pretty stupid, but what are the lower triple clamps?
Hope this will helps. I use soft ties and run the tie down hook thru the end of the soft tie. Make sure you don't get a brake line, cable or wire under the soft tie.

click

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help -- to those who gave actual advice. To all the wise-crackers who suggested "just ride it," the question wasn't "whether" to carry the bike in the pickup, but "how" to carry the bike in the pickup.

The trip was 830 miles with a forcast of heavy rain -- Tampa to Virginia Beach. We brought the bike back from Tampa yesterday -- rain joined us in Savannah and steadily became much, much heavier -- all the way to Raleigh. The visibilty was very limited -- fortunately the Xmas traffic thinned out considerably. We passed a Goldwing-er in Savannah and he rode along side us for about an hour -- before he either got where he was going or realized it wasn't smart and he left the road. Five hours of solid rain in the F150 would have been seriously foolish on a motorcycle.

I ended up using the Givi engine guards as front anchors and the foot pegs in the rear.

By compressing the front shocks as mentioned, and centering the bike in one of the grooves of the pickup bed, there was no problem over 830 miles. Once home, I backed the pickup to a slight berm. This actually makes a huge difference, otherwise the bike can tower over you as you remove it from the bed, in this case a normal F150 seems very high.

Three people seemed to help also -- loading and unloading.

I wish I'd seen the pix of the tie downs before departing, but again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
"Five hours of solid rain in the F150 would have been seriously foolish on a motorcycle."

Oh ,ok.. last time I rode from Jax beach to Va. Beach It was I think around 590miles . You made great time from Savanah!! ( But it probably wouldn't seem as foolish if your not going "close to a ton" ) YOMV.. ( signed, that wise ass who said why don't you just ride it :-D..)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts