StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to take advantage of the board's experience for a new rattle coming from - I think - the transmission.

After a recent oil change, I've noticed that I get a non-harmonic rattle in low RPMs. It's very low pitched and sounds kind of random, like there's a rock or something bouncing around in the gearbox. I can hear it, but I can also feel it very slightly through the grips.

Other points:
  • It either goes away or is too quiet to be heard by about 4,500 RPM and my tach shows the engine speed not changing while I'm hearing the rattle.
  • The rattle seems to get louder while going uphill, but I think it's still there when going downhill.
  • I don't think I've heard the rattle when the engine is cold.
  • My Glee has just under 14,000 miles on it and the only things I've changed out entirely are the tires (and the oil five or six times).
  • Still have the original chain, which I don't think I've lubed in about a year and 1200 miles, so... I'm going to go do that right now!
  • It lives outside.
  • It disappears immediately if I grab the clutch and comes back within a second or two of the clutch re-engaging. This particular thing seems like it points to something, but I have no idea what.

I thought this might be the dreaded (?) clutch basket chudder, but people seem to think that's pretty much non-existent on 650s, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
There have been reports of misc. noises on the Glee none of which have ever been a serious issue that I know of, not to say that yous isn't. Mine has a little clutch noise at idle with the clutch out and a few other ticks but I always wear ear plugs so I don't hear them when riding.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is a lot of conjecture on the cause but wide agreement on the effect, the noise is just noise. It doesn't cause any harm. It seems to have started with the 2007 model. My 2007 started making the noise after the first oil change. It has well over 100,000 miles now and is on its second owner. I probably have it on my 2012, but haven't really paid attention to noise changes. I think I'd notice something if it developed something actually serious like a con rod bearing knock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm. Thanks for your reassurance, guys.

I'm still worried about it (I'm picturing the rear wheel locking up on the highway, mostly) but considerably less so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For any that encounter this in the future, I lubricated my chain with the Suzuki combination lubricant / cleaner stuff and the sound went away right away. Did a 300-mile trip this weekend and it was great the whole time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hoping to take advantage of the board's experience for a new rattle coming from - I think - the transmission.

After a recent oil change, I've noticed that I get a non-harmonic rattle in low RPMs. It's very low pitched and sounds kind of random, like there's a rock or something bouncing around in the gearbox. I can hear it, but I can also feel it very slightly through the grips.

Other points:
  • It either goes away or is too quiet to be heard by about 4,500 RPM and my tach shows the engine speed not changing while I'm hearing the rattle.
  • The rattle seems to get louder while going uphill, but I think it's still there when going downhill.
  • I don't think I've heard the rattle when the engine is cold.
  • My Glee has just under 14,000 miles on it and the only things I've changed out entirely are the tires (and the oil five or six times).
  • Still have the original chain, which I don't think I've lubed in about a year and 1200 miles, so... I'm going to go do that right now!
  • It lives outside.
  • It disappears immediately if I grab the clutch and comes back within a second or two of the clutch re-engaging. This particular thing seems like it points to something, but I have no idea what.

I thought this might be the dreaded (?) clutch basket chudder, but people seem to think that's pretty much non-existent on 650s, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
I think I have the same noise happening on my 2012 strom 650.. It is very noticeable when I'm going downhill and the engine is breaking.. Once I pull in the clutch, the noise disappears! Bike needs to warm up before this noise comes around.. I was going to take it to the shop but they'll probably just charge me money and not do anything! I think I'll just keep riding and learn to ignore it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this exact same issue on my 650. There is a sometimes repetitive knock that matches the speed of the bike BUT it does not match the rotational speed of the wheels. I'm therefore assuming it is chain related. No center stand so its kind of difficult to diagnose but I may see if I can borrow a wheel stand to check further. Maybe a bad link?

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is a lot of conjecture on the cause but wide agreement on the effect, the noise is just noise. It doesn't cause any harm. It seems to have started with the 2007 model. My 2007 started making the noise after the first oil change. It has well over 100,000 miles now and is on its second owner. I probably have it on my 2012, but haven't really paid attention to noise changes. I think I'd notice something if it developed something actually serious like a con rod bearing knock.
I *thinK* you're referring to something commonly called "idle knock". I think...

The 1000's are well know for this, it's discussed at length on their board. That is, idle knock a not too common occurance for a 1000, seems to appear (if it is going to appear) somewhere shortly after the first oil change. It strikes random examples of the cycle, not every cycle exhibits. On that cycle, it appears to be mechanical stack up of clearances (of various mechanical components) that is the primary cause, as documented extensively by the fellow who developed a fix (yeah, and just try to get one, they're scarce, and lengthy backorder).

Anyway, that's the short history for the 1000's, from about 2007 thru present 2015's (the motor re-design did not change or affect the clearance stackup of the related components).

However, I thnk these are the first reports that I have read of idle knock on a 650 model, *if* thats what this is.

Myself, I was going with cam chain rattle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I *thinK* you're referring to something commonly called "idle knock". I think...

The 1000's are well know for this, it's discussed at length on their board. That is, idle knock a not too common occurance for a 1000, seems to appear (if it is going to appear) somewhere shortly after the first oil change. It strikes random examples of the cycle, not every cycle exhibits. On that cycle, it appears to be mechanical stack up of clearances (of various mechanical components) that is the primary cause, as documented extensively by the fellow who developed a fix (yeah, and just try to get one, they're scarce, and lengthy backorder).

Anyway, that's the short history for the 1000's, from about 2007 thru present 2015's (the motor re-design did not change or affect the clearance stackup of the related components).

However, I thnk these are the first reports that I have read of idle knock on a 650 model, *if* thats what this is.

Myself, I was going with cam chain rattle.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Idle knock/hammer or clutch chudder on the 650's.......nope nada no. They do have very noisy drive trains however, chain noise and sprocket noise is pretty well documented. Many other strange sounds occur as well, and consensus is typically just to ride it. Make sure everything is adjusted and within spec, and then insert earplugs. >:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts